Author Topic: The "ABCs of BBM": Round 965! (Rules in first post)  (Read 5400534 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"U" is unto
« Reply #20020 on: June 29, 2009, 06:54:41 pm »
Anne Hathaway:  An actor friend of mine said, "Read this script." I did, and it was a heartbreaking and very real love story. I thought, "I’ve got to be a part of this."

I went to a bookstore and found Close Range. I read Brokeback Mountain first and then went back and read the rest of the stories. Annie Proulx revealed a part of American history to me that I didn’t know existed.

There’s a line in the short story, and the screenplay: "If you can’t fix it, you gotta stand it." Although the story is Ennis and Jack’s, and they’re the best example of it, that line really applies to all the characters in the movie; it’s a human truth.

This screenplay shows that not having the freedom to be who you are doesn’t just affect you; it affects the people that you let into your life.  I didn’t know this [at first], but "Ennis" means "island." Ennis is a man unto himself, and he keeps to himself the most of anybody in Brokeback Mountain -- and that still affects people. He can’t access his emotions and be with the person he loves most in the entire world.

Brokeback Mountain Production Notes

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"W" is westernmost
« Reply #20021 on: June 29, 2009, 06:57:12 pm »
Heath was from the westernmost region of his country, known as Western Australia.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: The "ABCs of BBM": Round 821! (Rules in first post)
« Reply #20022 on: June 29, 2009, 07:44:21 pm »
ROUND 821!

WE CONTINUE OUR TRIBUTE TO BETTERMOST

Prettiest little site in Wyoming!

Each post should include an unplayed word plus "better" or "most"
or words containing them.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"A" is abnormality
« Reply #20023 on: June 29, 2009, 09:58:25 pm »
Jack felt that his father treated him like he had an abnormality because he was dick clipped and the old man was not, almost like the old man felt he was better than him.

Offline Fran

"B" is boys'
« Reply #20024 on: June 29, 2009, 10:06:31 pm »
James Schamus:  The wonder of the boys’ performances is how they relate and grow off each other as the film progresses. We see them age over the course of two decades, and watch the weight of their experience accumulate sometimes in the most quiet, intimate ways as their relationship changes.

Brokeback Mountain Production Notes

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"C" is canning
« Reply #20025 on: June 29, 2009, 10:32:33 pm »
Ennis decided that canning beans in favor of soup would get the most attention from Jack, and, apparently, the Basque.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"D" is debasing
« Reply #20026 on: June 29, 2009, 11:17:00 pm »
Most of the people at the Four of July picnic overheard the drunken bikers' conversation, debasing women.

Offline Fran

"E" is Endearment
« Reply #20027 on: June 30, 2009, 12:05:56 am »
Larry McMultry said that Brokeback Mountain led to his attending his first awards show, the Golden Globes:  "I've never been to an awards show of any kind until then. I've been nominated for Oscars and stuff; I just didn't go. I never wanted to go. Still don't, actually. But this movie is special. It's up there with Terms of Endearment -- at least as good, maybe better."

Brokeback's big secrets

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"F" is foremost
« Reply #20028 on: June 30, 2009, 12:31:56 pm »
Making a profit was foremost in Aguirre's mind.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"G" is grade
« Reply #20029 on: June 30, 2009, 03:05:33 pm »
Ennis wanted to be better educated, but the furthest he got was the ninth grade.