Author Topic: Bookends!  (Read 17545 times)

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Bookends!
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2007, 09:24:20 pm »
"Sh*t. That's deep!"    But incredibly insightful about the purported 'marriage' that takes place in Aguirre's trailer.

I believe there is a mirror to the dozy embrace - (maybe too easy) - any takers?
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2007, 10:54:13 pm »
A couple of possibilities come to mind: The Siesta motel embrace? The happy tussle?

I was thinking of the scene where Alma 'embraces' Ennis from behind when he is sitting on the bed and she then launches into her discussion of how she is tired of the 'lonesome ranches'. Maybe that is a stretch of a mirror - or maybe it is not a mirror at all, but that struck me in my recent viewings of BBM.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2007, 12:26:02 am »
This bookend is really small: As Ennis reaches to help Alma up from the snowy ground, he asks, “You all right?”

Hmm ... Is it a bookend to the scene where Ennis doesn't reach to help Jack from the ground and doesn't ask, "You all right?"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2007, 01:13:37 am »

And the scene in general strikes me as sort of a bookend to Ennis getting married -- it's like a wedding that Aguirre is performing. ("Do you, Jack, promise to eat your breakfast and dinner in the camp, but sleep with the sheep 100 percent? ... And do you, Ennis, promise to be at the bridge every Friday at noon for supplies? (**hands Ennis watch/ring **) Then by the powers vested in me, I now pronounce you a pair of deuces. You may get the hell out of my office.")

This is so #$%&ing funny.  I never read this thread afore. 

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2007, 01:42:30 am »

This bookend is really small: As Ennis reaches to help Alma up from the snowy ground, he asks, ?You all right??

Darn!  I knew that one.  :)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2007, 01:54:24 am »
[Quote from: latjoreme on September 25, 2006, 02:35:38 PM
And the scene in general strikes me as sort of a bookend to Ennis getting married -- it's like a wedding that Aguirre is performing. ("Do you, Jack, promise to eat your breakfast and dinner in the camp, but sleep with the sheep 100 percent? ... And do you, Ennis, promise to be at the bridge every Friday at noon for supplies? (**hands Ennis watch/ring **) Then by the powers vested in me, I now pronounce you a pair of deuces. You may get the hell out of my office.")

This is so #$%&ing funny.  I never read this thread afore.

Yikes -- I am repeating myself! Though I doubt that's the first time I've said pretty much the same thing twice on the same thread.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2007, 01:56:23 am »
Just watched BBM again this evening on HBO....I don't know if this one has been mentioned

Dozy embrace = Ennis embracing Jack in life
Shirts in trailer = Ennis embracing Jack in death

Either way - can't get thru either of those parts without many tears

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2007, 11:52:33 am »
Was it when Ennis said his dad thought all rodeo cowboys was f**k-ups, looked down at his cup of whiskey, and then Jack said the hell they are, and "danced"?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2007, 12:02:43 pm »
Was it when Ennis said his dad thought all rodeo cowboys was f**k-ups, looked down at his cup of whiskey, and then Jack said the hell they are, and "danced"?

I agree totally, that is perfect!!!!

Oh by the way, is there a conscous on when the dozy embrace happened.? 
I think it happened after the mixed up sheep,  when they were going back to camp and Ennis had such a look of love on his face while he was teasing Jack about the harmonica..  I think the dozy embrace happened soon after the they left the sheep, they went back to camp to eat, and then Ennis left to sheep.

And maybe soon before the snowstorm on the mountain.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2007, 01:05:10 pm »
Scene 147, the last scene in which we see Jack (where he was attacked and killed with a tire iron, but possibly in Ennis's imagination) aside from the dozy embrace flashback, is a bookend to what scene??

"chewing gum and duct tape"