Author Topic: The "I LOVE everything Ennis" thread  (Read 42430 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: roboy's "I love everything Ennis"
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2006, 02:24:44 am »
I see Story and Movie as just about two different characters

Why? Would you like to explain this?

vkm91941

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2006, 04:55:07 am »
I love the way Ennis makes scent memories by smelling things, like Jr.s Sweater and the Jack Shirt and the description of the room when they girls were babies...."Their bedroom was full of the smell of old blood and milk and baby shit and the sounds were of squalling and sucking and Alma's sleepy groans, all reassuring of fecundity and life's continuance to one who worked with livestock"...this is how Ennis understood his world.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2006, 08:21:29 am »
Why? Would you like to explain this?

Penthesilea, check out the Story Ennis/Movie Ennis &  Story Jack/Movie Jack thread:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1164.0
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 12:05:32 pm by latjoreme »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2006, 08:06:57 pm »
Thanks for promoting the thread latjoreme.  :D

I love Ennis's little dance in the snow.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: The "I LOVE everything Ennis" thread
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2006, 03:14:44 am »
Thanks for promoting the thread latjoreme
Ditto!

I love Ennis stumbling: when he goes after the dumbass mules, right before the first tent scene (that's the best one), at his argument with Alma outside with the girls on the swing ('Need a push?'). Did I forget any stumbling?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2006, 10:45:03 am »
I love Ennis stumbling: when he goes after the dumbass mules, right before the first tent scene (that's the best one), at his argument with Alma outside with the girls on the swing ('Need a push?'). Did I forget any stumbling?

Well, it's not exactly stumbling, but close: when he loses his grip on the pot he's washing in the river and it starts floating away. That's cute, too -- and symbolic, as we learned in the bucket thread!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2006, 09:00:29 pm »
I love Ennis for having a growing list of repetitive habits.
-Hunh-ing, Hmm-ing, etc.
-shirt tucking
-bucket kicking
-and now stumbling (somewhat related to the bucket issue).
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2006, 09:37:57 pm »
I love Ennis for having a growing list of repetitive habits.
-Hunh-ing, Hmm-ing, etc.
-shirt tucking
-bucket kicking
-and now stumbling (somewhat related to the bucket issue).
And let's not forget - shirt/sweater sniffing
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2006, 12:34:44 am »
Yes, and what's cute about all those bumbling things is their contrast to his casual proficiecy at other skills: riding, herding sheep, shooting coyotes and elk, fixing trucks, etc.

I love Ennis because he's a study in contrasts.

TJ

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2006, 11:59:52 am »
I get a lot of insight in regard to Ennis from what Annie Proulx wrote about him early in the book:

Ennis, reared by his older brother and sister after their parents drove off the only curve on Dead Horse Road leaving them twenty-four dollars in cash and a two-mortgage ranch, applied at age fourteen for a hardship license that let him make the hour-long trip from the ranch to the high school. The pickup was old, no heater, one windshield wiper and bad tires; when the transmission went there was no money to fix it. He had wanted to be a sophomore, felt the word carried a kind of distinction, but the truck broke down short of it, pitching him directly into ranch work.

. . . .

Ennis, high-arched nose and narrow face, was scruffy and a little cave-chested, balanced a small torso on long, caliper legs, possessed a muscular and supple body made for the horse and for fighting. His reflexes were uncommonly quick and he was farsighted enough to dislike reading anything except Hamley's saddle catalog.

Ennis seems to have a bit of a vision problem and that might have had an effect on his learning in school. My older brother who ended up completely his high school education by correspondence after he was 18 years old had many skills like Ennis did. I could trust him to work on any vehicle I owned while Lewis was alive. While Lewis's face did not look like the book's Ennis, he did look more like him in his build. Lewis was skinny most of his life until his illness related to heart problems caused him to gain extra weight. Lewis did have a vision problem and because he was left-handed, he as discriminated against by a teacher who thought people should only use their right hands to write.

Like Ennis, Lewis should never gotten married either. Lewis did love his children very much and the Movie Ennis loved his children, too. Lewis learned to do things by watching others do them and in contrast, it was easier for me to read a book or instruction manual to learn to do the same things.

Oh, I am amused that Ennis did not know what "Sophomore" really meant. Who would want to be classified as a "wise-fool" or a "foolishly wise person?"