Author Topic: The "I LOVE everything Ennis" thread  (Read 42396 times)

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
OT, sorry about that
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2006, 02:00:46 am »

Well... since you asked, I guess I will give a definitive answer... I think they're dirty because they just finished having sex outside and his jeans got dirty from, well, having sex outside.  The same is true of Jack's jeans in the flashback scene.  By the way, I was not the first person to notice or comment upon these little details, but I do find them great little touches.  This, I think is Lee's way of hinting at Proulx's line "They never talked about the sex, let it happen, at first only in the tent at night, then in the full daylight with the hot sun striking down, and at evening in the fire glow..."

Hi Amanda,

ok, but I mean really REALLY REALLY definitive.    :) ;D

I had a feeling that they just did something sexual outside, yeah.  and it seems that they just finished doing so?  But specifically what had they done?  Ennis' knees were very muddy, Jack's knees were not.  if they were both on their knees doing the same as in FNIT, I would expect both guys' to have muddy knees.  But Jack's knees were not muddy, sooo....  I wonder if Ennis had just gone on his knees in front of Jack and gave Jack a bj.  It apprears that that may be the case, and if that is what they had just done, then that I believe would disprove that the Happy Tussle was the very next morning after SNIT.  Hell I don't believe it was the very next morning, bj or no bj, but there was a time when I had to puzzle this out for myself bcz it sure looks like it is the very next morning the way AL has both those scenes smack-dab butted up against each other that-a-way  :D.  At first viewing it did seem that it was the next morning...  you know what I mean....

Anyway the other reason why I am very  preocupied with Ennis' muddy knees (aside from the fantasy-inducing aspects of this yummy topic  ;D)  is that of course what Ennis did sexually with Jack and when he did it is VERY germane to his acceptance of his homosexuality.

I am still to this day trying to wrap my brain around everyting from when did Ennis *know* that he was gay, when did he *know* that it was love that he had for Jack, when did he *know* that Jack loved him, was Ennis trying to pull away from Jack, was Jack thinking about / planning to quit Ennis, what did all those things mean, that Jack said to Ennis, and what did Ennis mean by what he said during the fight by the lake, the whole ball of wax.  Because of reading differing viewpoints on the many ambiguous, critical scenes and climaxes in the film, I am still muddled.  So many of the interpretations segue into the next, and the next, you know what I mean...

Sooo, that is why I am asking about the muddy knees, if I just go along with what AP wrote (or rather did not write) in the story, Ennis did not have much of a sexual repertoire, in other words he was very repressed sexually, and her line

... Nothing marred it, even the knowledge that Ennis would not then embrace him face to face because he did not want to see nor feel that it was Jack he held. And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that. Let be, let be.

says to me that he never accepted that he loved a man, ie never accepted that he was homosexual...  ok now this is getting way to complicated, must go and read other light-hearted threads.....  must watch Youtube....  must read fanfic.....   To be continiued (but not on this thread). ;D   I know I have gone waaay OT, so I will stop here....  One day, (not tonight I'm afraid) I'm gonna start me a thread about all this stuff....

Jane
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The "I LOVE everything Ennis" thread
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2006, 08:41:03 am »
Hi Jane, at the risk of getting in trouble with Roland (who moderates this forum and is strict about staying on topic) I will say that 1) I hope you DO start a thread about "unanswered questions" or "what did Ennis know and when did he know it" or whatever 2) IMO, I don't think the happy tussle occurred the next day, necessarily 3) well, I have lots to say on all these things, including the AP line, but I'll wait for your thread so as not to go too OT ...

So, in keeping with rules: I love Ennis because, no matter whether he realizes early on that he loves Jack or not, he sure always acts like he does!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 08:59:49 am by latjoreme »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2006, 12:39:22 pm »
Along those lines, I love the way Ennis goes out of his way to sneak a peak at Jack when Aguirre is on the phone and Jack isn't looking at him in Aguirre's trailer.  And I'm gonna break with rules and say I also love how deep, dark and delicious his eyes look and how open and vulnerable his face is right then.
No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2006, 11:51:33 pm »
I love Ennis's awkwardness both times we see him dancing with Cassie.  Two different kinds of awkwardness too.  Tells us boat loads about Ennis's comfort-level around Cassie.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2006, 11:47:11 am »
I love Ennis because however he feels, whether confused, fearful, angry or calm, feeling sad, feeling guilty, in failure or success, in grief or joy, he does his best and though his best isn't always "good enough", he's continues to try, he continues to learn.  He is his humble self completely.  I love that about him.

Rayn

jasbbm

« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2006, 09:05:09 pm »
I love Ennis because however he feels, whether confused, fearful, angry or calm, feeling sad, feeling guilty, in failure or success, in grief or joy, he does his best and though his best isn't always "good enough", he's continues to try, he continues to learn.  He is his humble self completely.  I love that about him.

Rayn

I second that Rayn!  :)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2006, 08:43:20 am »
I have been thinking a lot lately, of how Ennis practically ravished Jack in that reunion scene.

It was so out of character for him to take the lead and push him against the wall and be the agressor in that kiss....it was probably the only time in the movie when Ennis was the aggresive one, and he didnt care where he was or frightened that someone might see him....I think he actually surprised Jack, but it didnt take long for Jack to respond.

I remember when i first watched the movie, and I was wondering how they were going to react to one another when they met again after the four year lapse, and i was so surprised when Ennis grabbed hold of Jack, and of course, that kiss, was just the best "hello" kiss I have ever seen.

I just love Ennis for doing that.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2006, 09:08:27 pm »
I love how Ennis, upon decending the stairs at Jack's parents house and reentering the kitchen, made a slight and mere jesture with the rolled up shirts, as if to present his treasure to Jack's Mom and say, without speaking, 'may I have this?'.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2006, 07:35:53 am »
I love how Ennis, upon decending the stairs at Jack's parents house and reentering the kitchen, made a slight and mere jesture with the rolled up shirts, as if to present his treasure to Jack's Mom and say, without speaking, 'may I have this?'.

My impression of that scene, was that he was showing Mrs Twist that he had found the shirts, and her nod of the head, seemed to indicate, that she knew what they were, and was glad Ennis had them.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2006, 11:32:54 pm »
I LOVE when ennis watching out as jack left the tent with the low-startle horse. he lowered his upper body graciously and curiously. sooooooooo cute
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!