Author Topic: Beans or sheep?  (Read 15650 times)

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
Re: Beans or sheep?
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2006, 06:08:25 pm »
Eating all those beans night and day could of turned out to be really embarrassing,... concidering the situation.  Oh don't give me that innocent look, you know what I'm talking about!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 06:11:42 pm by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

TJ

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2006, 12:52:33 pm »
It was quite fun to see the Movie Ennis enjoying beans EVERYTIME that he was eating them. For normal diets, one needs a little meat protein to go with vegetable protein.

But, when I was in dire straits financially, I ate mostly beans which I cooked myself. The Licensed Practical Nurse and the RN at the VA Out Patient Clinic here in Tulsa, Oklahoma, told me that when I had beans, I should also mix rice with them and that would help with the lack of meat protein. I had never heard of that; but, I do like beans and rice together as a dish.

There are a couple of Biblical Proverbs which are somewhat related to this discussion, "Don't muzzle the ox who threshes the wheat" and "The worker deserves his wages."

In the "ox" proverb, the slaughter and eating a sheep when the food supply was low would fit that category with the guys being the "oxen" and the sheep being the "wheat."

While the movie implies that the boys were being paid a monthly wage, nothing about that is in the book. Aguirre might have just contracted to pay a certain wage for the whole late spring and summer season or so much per month or per day.

A certain percentage loss of livestock, aka the sheep, was expected due to the occasional extreme weather conditions up on the mountain. The sheep which scattered during the movie hail storm was not the fault of Ennis at all. The Chilean shepherds were doing the same illegal thing with their sheep as was being done with Aguirre's sheep or they would not have gotten mixed up together, IMO. Aguirre's sheep were not pastured where they were assigned to be by the Forest Service.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2006, 07:02:57 pm »
What do you mean "SURE!" L M N O?!  I sent them to you via Email ages ago.  Do you never read your Emails? 

Hunh?  I'll go look now - AND I only just saw this now.  I'm sorry, Ray.  Off I go to look for vegenimals in my email.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2006, 03:33:29 am »
Am I understanding this question correctly?

if so, I picked "I'll explain below"

I  can't imagine myself shooting an animal, but beans tend to... well... you know...

Is a steak an option? :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2006, 11:25:48 pm »
Is a steak an option? :)

Nope, sorry.  But elk is!  When I answered this poll way back when... I was thinking along the same lines that you were.  I like beans (in real life) and I wouldn't want to kill an animal either.

But upon further consideration of this topic, I think the idea here is that if you choose beans like Ennis you feel compelled to play by the rules or you feel a sense of duty to the rules.  If you have the urge to eat a sheep like Jack, it means you're reckless and willing to break the rules.  Elk is a compromise... it's still breaking the rules (poaching) but it's less of an infringement than killing a sheep, which they're supposed to be protecting.  I think there are other major reasons why they can't kill a sheep (and certainly Jack can't kill a sheep either) within the logic of the movie... but that's a topic for another day/ thread.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2006, 11:55:02 pm »
Well... I guess I would have to choose the beans then.

I do bend the rules every once in awhile.

I guess beans, with a side of elk on a rare occasion. ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2006, 02:35:37 am »
Beans ......it is far easier to open a can, than to skin a bloody sheep
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2006, 02:52:59 pm »
I choose 'other'.  I would do a little fishing.
I like beans but can't live on beans for 2 months.  Sheeps?  Yuck!  Elk?  Never have, maybe never will.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2008, 10:39:44 pm »

Bump!  Because this was a fun poll!  And, I'm in a beany mood! 8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2008, 12:33:50 am »
i picked elk.  my friend hunted one last season (thank god i didn't actually see it), but we barbequed up some elk stakes last week from his frozen meat, and holy, was it good.  very lean meat.  just like stake, but leaner.  very tasty, so, although i don't hunt, i eat.  lol

not sure i'd be able to eat it after gutting it though.  eeewww