Author Topic: The L Word: Any fans out there?  (Read 86781 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The L Word: Any fans out there?
« Reply #230 on: November 05, 2008, 02:26:56 pm »

Hi Milli,

I think tonight will probably be a mini L-Word marathon for me. :) 

I'll probably watch about 2 or 3 episodes tonight.  I'm looking forward to it.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #231 on: November 05, 2008, 05:14:50 pm »

I'll probably watch about 2 or 3 episodes tonight.  I'm looking forward to it.

Me too.  :)
I never got to watch any eps. last night.  Maybe 2 more tonight.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #232 on: November 06, 2008, 01:24:11 pm »
Hey Bud,

Did you get to the L word last night at all?  :)
I watched ep. 4, 5, and part of 6.

Now that I am back watching the episodes... there certainly seems to be a fair bit of sex this season, isn't there? 
Not that I'm complaining or anythang.. :P

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #233 on: November 06, 2008, 01:32:50 pm »
In other news....

Remember Lara [Lauren Lee Smith] (Dana's girl from back in the day...)

She is now one of the CSIs (Riley Adams) on CSI Las Vegas.

Was very excited when she joined the cast of another TV show I enjoy watching!  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #234 on: November 06, 2008, 02:53:39 pm »
Hey Bud,

Did you get to the L word last night at all?  :)
I watched ep. 4, 5, and part of 6.

Now that I am back watching the episodes... there certainly seems to be a fair bit of sex this season, isn't there? 
Not that I'm complaining or anythang.. :P

Hi Milli,

I watched 3 more episodes last night... the last one I watched was the one with the oil wrestling!  :o

Yes, I was actually thinking the exact same thing about there being more representations of sex this season...  I think the L Word had received some criticism for being too chaste (in comparison to Queer as Folk for instance).  So, I wonder if they were responding to that.  And, things like "Shebar" with the oil wrestling event, etc. reminds me of an equivalent of club Babylon in Queer as Folk.

Anyway... poor Alice and Tasha.  It's really sad to see the whole closeted/ not-closeted issue tearing them apart in relation to Tasha's case.  I think they're a great couple, so I'm betting they'll get back together.  And, now I see the point of Alice taking that picture during the secret Hollywood gay party (which bothered me at the time she took it... but now I see how it's become interesting).  Also, I have a hunch that the prosecuting officer on Tasha's case is also a lesbian... but I guess we'll see.

Adele really is becoming scary!  Yikes!

Oh, and I'd be thrilled if Bette and Tina get back together... at the moment things are looking good. :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #235 on: November 06, 2008, 04:25:21 pm »

Hi Milli,

I watched 3 more episodes last night... the last one I watched was the one with the oil wrestling!  :o

I know.  Wasn't that something??  ;D
I think I get to the oil wrestling episode tonight. lol.

Re: Tasha & Alice...
Yeah, the whole investigation process created a rift between them.  You could see how much Tasha wanted to stay in the military, even if she had to live in the closet.  Alice is out and very proud ;); she could not understand why anyone would want to be a part of an institution that cements discrimination into its very foundation.  I can understand her point.  I appreciated the fact that she tried to protect Tasha by cutting back on all the PDA, not going out as much, etc.  Still, it was a sensitive issue they had to either tiptoe around or address head on and clash.

That whole incident with the gay, homophobe NBA player widened the rift between them.  I can understand why Alice outed him.  She was enraged by his blatant homophobia & uploaded the video to her blog... clearly she didn't think that it would get so much publicity or potentially break up his family life.  She had a point about people like that spreading hate while hiding their shadows in the closet.

I don't personally think that I would have posted it if I were in Alice's shoes, but can't say I blame her for calling him out on it either.
What would you do in her place?  Would you post the video? :)

Adele really is becoming scary!  Yikes!

Tell me about it. 
She gave me the creeps all through the season. lol.
Did you notice that Max does not buy her whole "perfect, little assistant" act either?  Hm.. :)

Oh, and I'd be thrilled if Bette and Tina get back together... at the moment things are looking good.

The drama continues... ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:32:18 pm by Lumière »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #236 on: November 06, 2008, 07:07:10 pm »
Also, I have a hunch that the prosecuting officer on Tasha's case is also a lesbian... but I guess we'll see.

I know.
I haven't re-watched that episode yet, but I distinctly remember her (briefly) checking out Alice at one point.
She probably had to perfect the skill of serving in silence..  :-\ 
(Btw - have you seen the movie "Serving in Silence"  with Glenn Close & Judy Davis - very good.  :) )

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #237 on: November 07, 2008, 06:07:17 pm »
So, Amanda -
Did you watch the Pink Ride episode yet?
What point are you at?  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #238 on: November 10, 2008, 12:53:30 pm »

Hi Milli,

Sorry for the delay in the thread here... I haven't watched anymore episodes since the oil wrestling one.  My parents came for a surprise visit this weekend!  Yikes!  They called on Saturday and said they'd be here on Sunday!  And, they just left when I left for work this morning.  So, I was busy cleaning my apartment, etc. a lot this weekend and then visiting with my folks.

I'll probably have time to watch an episode or two tonight though! :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #239 on: November 12, 2008, 12:48:30 am »

Heya Milli! So, I watched 3 episodes tonight!  I've finished watching the first 3 DVDs now.  The last episode I watched was the one where Kit foolishly brings the gun to Shebar and then finds Angelica playing with it later that night.  Scary!

So, I have some new comments.. that span a number of the episodes I've watched recently. 

First of all, Tasha just rocks.  I was so proud of her for standing up for Alice (and for herself) during her "trial."  That whole story line just sends chills up my spine to realize how unfair military policies are and particularly over anything having to do with homosexuality.  I know it was hard for Tasha to turn her back on the military with her decision to say what she did... but it's like her whole demeanor changed after she just decided to be honest and admitted that she loves Alice.  When she ran to catch up with Alice after the trail, she was just glowing in a whole new way.  What a relief to have that burden of always hiding off of her shoulders.  Anyway, I thought it was very romantic of her too...  I think she and Alice are totally adorable together and I really hope they work out in the long run.

And, now I see just how scary Adele has become with the blackmailing!  Wow... that's super creepy.  I think the actress who plays Adele does a really good job though... so while she's a creepy character, I enjoy that actress.

I was totally amused by the Molly/ Shane hook-up.  I think they're cute together but it's hard for me to imagine that becoming anything really serious.

I also think Nicki and Jenny are cute together... I hope Nicki comes around, after the drama with Adele's blackmail has blown over.  I actually really like Nicki (she's immature, but I think she seems like her heart really is in the right place).  It would be so surprising to see Jenny in a real/ good relationship.

The recent episodes that I just watched actually helped to rectify something that was kind of bugging me on the topic of the L-Word this season showing more sex...  In many of the earlier episodes there seemed to be a lot of kind of "heavy petting" or making-out-plus representations of lesbian sex, while avoiding some of the more significant elements of lesbian sex... with the situation between Shane and Molly and the romp between Nicki and Jen caught on camera... at least some of that was covered.  LOL, that one episode that included Tina and Bette in the elevator and Shane making out with Molly was so funny for it's self-consciously steamy content.

And, as for the Bette-Tina-Jodi love triangle... I'm happy to see that Bette and Jodi are in the process of breaking up.  As I've mentioned before, I've never really gotten into Jodi as a character... and I really want to see Bette and Tina together again.  I feel very, very bad for Jodi... but still I can't help cheering for Bette and Tina.