Author Topic: CARS  (Read 13738 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: CARS
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 01:27:06 pm »
I have never understood why gas is so expensive in Europe, perhaps we have more refineries here, or something, you all are deffinatly being ripped off.....(more so that we are).
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

moremojo

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 06:52:26 pm »
When I did have a car, it was a 1981 Chevrolet Impala, white, a gift from my then-stepmother. I have been carless (rather unusual in a state like Texas) for over ten years now.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2006, 10:30:43 pm »
I drive an ancient 22 year old convertible top Jeep CJ 7.

It's got 232,000 miles on it, the driver's side window is slashed open, the zipper on the back of the top is busted and can't be zipped up, the driver's side seat cover is wasted, the steering wheel is cracked in 3 places down to the steel frame, the custom paint job is oxidized and stripping away to the base paint, the leaf springs on one side have collapsed, it has no AC, no radio, leaks profusely when it rains, and in city or highway, with a tailwind or headwind, on a cold day or hot, uphill or down, it gets 17 mpg, unless it's in low granny gear.  ;D

But damn!  The thing is still running, gets you there and back with no frills, but no trouble either. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 10:36:30 pm by delalluvia »

Offline David

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2006, 06:56:30 pm »
When I did have a car, it was a 1981 Chevrolet Impala, white, a gift from my then-stepmother. I have been carless (rather unusual in a state like Texas) for over ten years now.

Car less?   YIKES!      The only people I know without cars are in Boston or New York city.    I would imagine you could in San Fransisco too.   Those are like the only cities we have here in the States with a decent public transportation system.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2006, 09:12:27 pm »
I drive a 2001 Subaru Outback... this is a googled image:

Mine is light green, and those aren't my 14ers behind it, either, but you get the picture. It's the semi-official car of the Colorado mountains. All-wheel-drive, good enough clearance to drive roads with fairly small rocks sticking up out of them, and a rack on the top for all the gear that doesn't fit in the back.

The down side is that there are so many identical cars in this town that I'm always trying to open other cars in the parking lot.  (Mel = ditz.  ::) )
I have had 3 AMC Eagles which I imagine was popular in Colorado in the 1980's. Chrysler handed the market over to Subaru when the bought AMC.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2006, 12:10:09 pm »
Car less?   YIKES!      The only people I know without cars are in Boston or New York city.    I would imagine you could in San Fransisco too.   Those are like the only cities we have here in the States with a decent public transportation system.

Add Philadelphia to that list of cities where it's possible to be carless, David--at least, if you live in the heart of the city, as I do. And I am carless. After I moved to the city in 1986, I kept a car at my parents' place until 1998, when I sold it before it got ready to start falling apart on me.  ;D

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline mlewisusc

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2006, 02:10:29 am »
Hiya Jeff my boy and everyone else!  Logged on for the first time in forever, found this thread via chasing delalluvia's posts.  This is a topic that keeps much of my attention much of the time - cars, I mean.  Can talk 'em for hours, often do with my dad.  My pop and I share several vehicles, some he owns, some I own.  Right now my daily driver is a big fat tax write off from 2004 (e.g., a luxury SUV that weighs more that 6000 lbs, thanks for something, George Bush)!  But the car I have which is probably the most fun to drive is a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V which is a standard small Cadillac sedan with a big Corvette motor and gearbox in it.  Fast, fun, and the first Cadillac since 1959 to have a manual transmission!  Unfortunately we need to sell it  :(  Anyone interested? If you are from the east coast, drive it home through Signal and Lightning Flat!

Hope everyone is well, I'll try to be around more!
"Good enough place" - Ennis del Mar

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2007, 11:46:06 am »
Here's my little Prius, gets 50 miles to the gallon.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

moremojo

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2007, 06:05:05 pm »
A little personal update: My sister recently invested in a new car, but, after talking it over with me, has decided to keep her old one as well, and let me use it as my major means of transportation. The car will remain in her name, and she will continue to pay the insurance on it--what more could I ask for?

Even though I have tended to be critical of households in which every member has their own car (as I tend to see that as symptomatic of the materialism and heedless consumerism bedeviling so much of American society today), I can't deny the sheer comfort and pleasure afforded by having one's own personal access to transportation, without having to be dependent on anyone else (whether they be a cab driver, bus driver, or family member), and so will succumb (if only for a while) to the temptation. The car's catalytic converter needs replacement, and is now in the shop for that purpose. But upon completion and payment (which I will make), I can start using the vehicle as regularly as I wish.

The car is a 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier, red, two-door. And it is now, in everything but name, mine.

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2007, 03:49:36 pm »
Here's my latest purchase: a little orange Skoda Fabia TDI. I love it! It's economical and fast. Got it two months now and have driven about 8.000 kilometres already... :)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 04:43:47 pm by Pipedream »