Author Topic: Would You Still Worship God If There Was No Heaven or Hell?  (Read 32221 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Would You Still Worship God If There Was No Heaven or Hell?
« on: November 07, 2010, 03:28:16 am »
It's a good question and one I've been wrestling with over the months and years.

"If the existence of God was not in question, like he talked to people openly, etc., but there was no eternal life, you just die and that was it, would you still worship and love God?"

It's a tough one, isn't it? We Christians seem to concentrate so much on what God will give us - an eternal reward - but not on what he's ALREADY given us - our life here now.

So what about it? If you believe in God, would you still love him even if you knew for a fact you would be nothing but worm food after you die? This is it, period?

I'm voting "not sure" because I'm really not certain about it. But it's something I'm working on. Because I'd like to say "yes" to this question. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Would You Still Worship God If There Was No Heaven or Hell?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 10:51:35 am »
Ok, I want to make sure I'm understanding this.

You are saying in your question that we know that God exists, beyond question, and he openly talks to us, however, there is no Heaven or Hell.

Sure, I'd talk to Him, why not?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 11:12:08 am »
this is an easy one for me - because my concept of God is the immanent consciousness in all mankind.  As for there being a heaven and hell - I don't subscribe to those concepts.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 11:55:58 am »
Sure, I do.  I am a Wiccan and even though I don`t believe in an eternal damnation or heavenly realm I`m more concerned with the here & now. I believe our Creator helps us in or present life in some way or another.  But these are my personal beliefs....everyone has their own concept of a god or no god or whatever.
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 12:34:22 pm »
David - I have never believed in a literal Heaven or Hell. I sometimes think Hell might be life here on Earth.  I still waffle about the existence of God.  But - on days I think God might exist, I don't need the threat of eternal damnation nor the promise of eternal bliss to believe.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 07:15:22 pm »
Yes, absolutely. As it is, my private views of "heaven" and "hell" are highly unorthodox. I don't believe the stereotypical descriptions that I suppose ulitmately derive from the Book of Revelations (the Pearly Gates, for example). I suspect that when we die, That Which is Us is reunited to That Which is God. I guess you could therefore say that I don't believe in the existence of Hell.

I believe, and I worship, as a response to my experience of God in my life, not because I'm afraid of going to Hell.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 08:00:42 pm »
"No heaven or hell" isn't really the same thing as "no afterlife." Regardless I answered "yes."

God has been such a major force in my this life, that I cannot imagine being one of the faithless. Like others here, I do not think of heaven or hell in the "fairy-tale" sense. My understanding is closer to Jeff's. Except that I believe that "going to hell" means the destruction of "That Which is Us," at least it means not uniting with "That Which is God."
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 08:44:11 pm »
Hi,

I answered yes to this question as well.  I'm not particularly concerned with an afterlife either, or a Heaven or Hell - more so in what I see around me in the world in my life gives me my sense of a Creator or Higher Power, or a Consciousness, and sometimes, the things that go on right here on Earth are hellish.   The traditional images of Heaven and Hell are metaphorical, to me. 
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 01:47:27 am »
I answered yes but there are a few "ifs" embedded in there.
My interactions with the world and humanity are not based on a reward of heaven or fear of hell.

Heathen

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 02:09:42 am »
    I do not believe in Heaven or Hell.  One that can be located on a spatial or global
map.  I do not believe in a God either.  I believe that it is a form of self expectation,
that helps to relieve anxiety or fears.  It gives you a form of believe that helps you
to make yourself relieved under circumstances that leave you unable to find an
acceptance for the most difficult of fears or problems that you cannot find a reasonable
way to work yourself out of.  It helps many many people to place themself in an acceptable place to keep your psychi from falling apart.  When you reach such a level
of fear and difficulty, you are in danger of having a mental break.  In order to stop that
kind of reaction by the nervous system, they place their belief in "A God" in order to
make the physical mind and body lay the difficulty on an all powerful being.  ie God.
Someone or thing with the ability to handle any situation.  It takes the equation out
of their hands.  As to an afterlife, even when I believed in God, I never bought the
heaven or hell scenario
    I am probably going to get lots of flack from this, but I can live with that.

Beautiful mind