Author Topic: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century  (Read 256779 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« Reply #250 on: April 25, 2013, 03:33:25 pm »
I was reminded last night of all the Sherlock Holmes incarnations. I was watching a show where a woman who was suspected of witchcraft demonstrated that things she knew about people that she could not possibly know came from her "powers" of observation: She could tell that someone worked at shearing sheep from the condition of his hands, and because "he reeks of mutton."  ;D  (She was also an accomplished herbalist.)

Wouldn't take a keen observer of anything.  People who are around livestock, reek of it.  No special powers of anything needed.  Just a decent working nose.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #251 on: April 25, 2013, 03:44:47 pm »
Wouldn't take a keen observer of anything.  People who are around livestock, reek of it.  No special powers of anything needed.  Just a decent working nose.

Well, then, I guess it's a good thing--or maybe not--that you weren't a consultant on the script.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #252 on: April 27, 2013, 12:52:40 pm »
Well, then, I guess it's a good thing--or maybe not--that you weren't a consultant on the script.

:laugh:

I doubt they had one.  Or if they did, they ignored him/her for artistic purposes.  ;)

Here's a brief article and look at Benedict Cumberbatch's parents.  He has his dad's face and his mother's eyes and smirk.  :)

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/04/the-full-dynastic-heritage-of-benedict-cumberbatch/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #253 on: April 27, 2013, 01:03:35 pm »
Haha, "mutant super-thespian" indeed!

I watched the Hound sequence last night, falling asleep several times and had nightmares about the hound! Oh, when will the new season be ready?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #254 on: April 27, 2013, 01:11:06 pm »
Haha, "mutant super-thespian" indeed!

I watched the Hound sequence last night, falling asleep several times and had nightmares about the hound! Oh, when will the new season be ready?

Scary!  :o

Hopefully the fall...but likely for us in the US, next spring.  >:(

But I'll get my Benedict fix next month when he comes out in Star Trek 2.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #255 on: April 27, 2013, 04:38:55 pm »
:laugh:

I doubt they had one.  Or if they did, they ignored him/her for artistic purposes.  ;)

Here's a brief article and look at Benedict Cumberbatch's parents.  He has his dad's face and his mother's eyes and smirk.  :)

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/04/the-full-dynastic-heritage-of-benedict-cumberbatch/

Very interesting article.  I agree with you about his inherited traits!  Do you know how he came to choose Cumberbatch for a last name?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #256 on: April 28, 2013, 09:25:01 am »
According to this article, Cumberbatch is the family name, dropped by the father. It means "dweller in a valley with a stream"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Cumberbatch

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #257 on: April 28, 2013, 01:05:02 pm »
According to this article, Cumberbatch is the family name, dropped by the father. It means "dweller in a valley with a stream"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Cumberbatch

He said in an interview he thinks that's what his name means, but he was not sure of the etymology of the name.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #258 on: May 17, 2013, 10:14:43 am »
I suppose I should have watched the last episode of the Office last night but I could only handle about two minutes of it and switched over to the season ender of Elementary instead. There were some very interesting plot twists (don't worry I won't reveal spoilers) but also some dull moments. I find myself getting irritated by Jonny Lee Miller's drone and Lucy Liu's deer-in-the-headlights stare. And those stiletto heels? Puleeze. Some gumshoe she is.  ::)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #259 on: May 18, 2013, 02:35:15 pm »
I suppose I should have watched the last episode of the Office last night but I could only handle about two minutes of it and switched over to the season ender of Elementary instead. There were some very interesting plot twists (don't worry I won't reveal spoilers) but also some dull moments. I find myself getting irritated by Jonny Lee Miller's drone and Lucy Liu's deer-in-the-headlights stare. And those stiletto heels? Puleeze. Some gumshoe she is.  ::)

I thought she was a doctor, not a cop.  ???