Author Topic: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century  (Read 100250 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: PBS "Sherlock Holmes" Updated for the 21st century
« Reply #250 on: April 25, 2013, 03:33:25 pm »
I was reminded last night of all the Sherlock Holmes incarnations. I was watching a show where a woman who was suspected of witchcraft demonstrated that things she knew about people that she could not possibly know came from her "powers" of observation: She could tell that someone worked at shearing sheep from the condition of his hands, and because "he reeks of mutton."  ;D  (She was also an accomplished herbalist.)

Wouldn't take a keen observer of anything.  People who are around livestock, reek of it.  No special powers of anything needed.  Just a decent working nose.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #251 on: April 25, 2013, 03:44:47 pm »
Wouldn't take a keen observer of anything.  People who are around livestock, reek of it.  No special powers of anything needed.  Just a decent working nose.

Well, then, I guess it's a good thing--or maybe not--that you weren't a consultant on the script.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #252 on: April 27, 2013, 12:52:40 pm »
Well, then, I guess it's a good thing--or maybe not--that you weren't a consultant on the script.

:laugh:

I doubt they had one.  Or if they did, they ignored him/her for artistic purposes.  ;)

Here's a brief article and look at Benedict Cumberbatch's parents.  He has his dad's face and his mother's eyes and smirk.  :)

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/04/the-full-dynastic-heritage-of-benedict-cumberbatch/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #253 on: April 27, 2013, 01:03:35 pm »
Haha, "mutant super-thespian" indeed!

I watched the Hound sequence last night, falling asleep several times and had nightmares about the hound! Oh, when will the new season be ready?
Too much to do. . .I don't have time to get old!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #254 on: April 27, 2013, 01:11:06 pm »
Haha, "mutant super-thespian" indeed!

I watched the Hound sequence last night, falling asleep several times and had nightmares about the hound! Oh, when will the new season be ready?

Scary!  :o

Hopefully the fall...but likely for us in the US, next spring.  >:(

But I'll get my Benedict fix next month when he comes out in Star Trek 2.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #255 on: April 27, 2013, 04:38:55 pm »
:laugh:

I doubt they had one.  Or if they did, they ignored him/her for artistic purposes.  ;)

Here's a brief article and look at Benedict Cumberbatch's parents.  He has his dad's face and his mother's eyes and smirk.  :)

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2013/04/the-full-dynastic-heritage-of-benedict-cumberbatch/

Very interesting article.  I agree with you about his inherited traits!  Do you know how he came to choose Cumberbatch for a last name?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #256 on: April 28, 2013, 09:25:01 am »
According to this article, Cumberbatch is the family name, dropped by the father. It means "dweller in a valley with a stream"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Cumberbatch

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #257 on: April 28, 2013, 01:05:02 pm »
According to this article, Cumberbatch is the family name, dropped by the father. It means "dweller in a valley with a stream"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Cumberbatch

He said in an interview he thinks that's what his name means, but he was not sure of the etymology of the name.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #258 on: May 17, 2013, 10:14:43 am »
I suppose I should have watched the last episode of the Office last night but I could only handle about two minutes of it and switched over to the season ender of Elementary instead. There were some very interesting plot twists (don't worry I won't reveal spoilers) but also some dull moments. I find myself getting irritated by Jonny Lee Miller's drone and Lucy Liu's deer-in-the-headlights stare. And those stiletto heels? Puleeze. Some gumshoe she is.  ::)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #259 on: May 18, 2013, 02:35:15 pm »
I suppose I should have watched the last episode of the Office last night but I could only handle about two minutes of it and switched over to the season ender of Elementary instead. There were some very interesting plot twists (don't worry I won't reveal spoilers) but also some dull moments. I find myself getting irritated by Jonny Lee Miller's drone and Lucy Liu's deer-in-the-headlights stare. And those stiletto heels? Puleeze. Some gumshoe she is.  ::)

I thought she was a doctor, not a cop.  ???