Author Topic: Striking Out  (Read 188770 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Striking Out
« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2012, 09:25:51 am »
Ahhhh.....the feeling of success is soooo nice!

;D :laugh:

Last night was not a spectacular night for me.  Out of the three games, only 1 was above average, the other two were below.

However, as a team we were great!  Out of the three games, we won two, and took wood!  ;D  For the non bowlers out there, wood refers to pins.  If a team "takes wood" it means they beat the other team by knocking over the most pins over all three games.

Last season our team finished is 2nd to LAST place.   :laugh:  This year, we're currently in 4th.   :o ;D

Next week it is my team's week to supply the music, I'm thinking a night of  One Hit Wonders.  And no, Nena will not be in the rotation.  I did a theme last season called "Cover Me" where I played an original song, followed immediately by a cover version, so "99 Luftballons" was already on that set list.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2012, 09:36:50 am »
Yay! (I wood say awesome but I'm trying to wean myself off that one)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2012, 09:50:25 am »
Last season our team finished is 2nd to LAST place.   :laugh:  This year, we're currently in 4th.   :o ;D

... out of 5 teams? ;) ;D

Next week it is my team's week to supply the music, I'm thinking a night of  One Hit Wonders.  And no, Nena will not be in the rotation.  I did a theme last season called "Cover Me" where I played an original song, followed immediately by a cover version, so "99 Luftballons" was already on that set list.

In 5 years hubby and I will turn 50, and we're gonna have a big party. Can you please come over and be responsible for the music? I mean, since I asked so early.... And you're even allowed to play Nena (some!).
 ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2013, 08:49:10 am »
Well I wasn't quite sure what to expect last night.

The week prior, my team lost 1 of the three games, and we lost wood, so we only got 4 out of a possible 7 points.  I thought for sure we'd fall out of the top 10, but when we got the standings last night, we were in 8th place.

Then I saw we were bowling one of the higher ranked teams, and I thought we were toast!  However, it turned out quite the opposite.

With our first game, I bowled my average, and Pete and Frank bowled above their averages.  We beat the other team by 19 pins.

With the second game, Pete was on fire.  He bowled 5 strikes in a row, and ended up with a score of 202, his first 200 game in a long time.  Frank was again above average, and I bowled a 145, 25 pins above my average.  Pete's 202 game psyched out the other team, and they lost focus, and we beat them by 62 pins.

With the third game, both Pete & Frank were above average again, I was below, but not by much (I 'under' bowled by 11 pins) but because they had lost the first two games, the other team was disheartened, and underperformed.  Had they fought back hard, they could've won because the third game was not my team's best, and it ended up being closer than the first, we won by only 9 pins.

When everything was totaled up, we got all 7 points, winning the three games and getting total wood, beating them by 90 pins in total.

;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2013, 09:42:29 am »
Good morning!

;D

Bowling was a good time last night.  I wore the crown hat that I picked up at Party City for my birthday, and had a few laughs.  Two of my friends gave me a Visa gift card as well, so that was great.

;D

Ah, yes, actual bowling.  We bowled a team that was pretty evenly matched against us with scores.  In fact, they had a higher handicap than we had, so it made it a little more difficult for us to win.   Our first game we beat them by 40 pins, our second game we beat them by 20 pins, and the last game one of players from the other team got lucky and scored big.  I did really well the last game too (150) but my team lost by only 4 pins.   Over all we beat them by 56 pins total.

Out of the possible 7 points we got 5.

;D

Before last night's game we were in 6th place in the league.  I'm not sure what our placements are now.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2013, 09:20:47 am »

Another night of bowling down.  ;D

My team did well last night, on a personal level, it was more of the same for me, with a pattern that seems to have set in.  I'll have one great game, one game on average, and one game below average.  Last night was no exception.  My first game was 158.  My average is about 120, so that was 38 pins above average.  My second game was just above average (125) and my last game was 97.   >:(   Ending up with 23 pins below average almost wiped out my 38 pins above average game, so that sucks.

On the plus side, my two teammates bowled really well.  Frank had a high of 178, and Pete had a 212.  At the end of the night we had won all three games, and taken all 7 points. 

The week of 1/8 we were in 6th place in the league (out of about 20 teams), and the week of 1/15 we were still 6th place.  I'm hoping we can move up a space or two and be in the top 5 teams.  This is a real improvement given that last season, we were second to last place.

:laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2013, 09:30:12 am »
Hello everyone!

Bowling was really a mixed bag last night.  There's no other way to describe it. ::)

It's like everyone decided to be awful, all at once.   :laugh:

The lanes will announce when someone gets over 200 as a score, we have more than a few of those each Tuesday, but last night we barely had any announcement.  I'm not sure what was happening, but whatever it was, was happening to everyone.  Even the best bowlers on the league were missing shots, getting splits, it was very odd.

Our first game was a tie.  Ties generally don't happen in bowling, but somehow, we managed it.   :laugh:  The second game we lost by 7 pins  >:( and the third game we won by 33 pins.  It was a very close match, in the end we took one game, 1/2 of one game, and wood, so out of 7 points, we got 4.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2013, 09:38:50 am »
Blame it on the full moon. I always do!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2013, 10:25:26 am »
Ahhhh.....the feeling of success is soooo nice!

;D :laugh:

The feeling of success turns to failure so quickly!

:laugh:

My team started off great last night, we won the first game, and my high was 153.  After that game, we crashed and burned.  I dropped to a 124, which was 4 pins above average, but my teammates bowled below average.  To make it worse, the team we were playing stepped in major shit!  Two of them bowled 200+ games, all three of them were 30 pins above average.  There was no way for us to catch up.

The third game we lost as well, but only by 25 pins.

end result, out of 7 points, we only won 2.

Oh well, there's always next week.  I'm hoping we don't drop down too far, we've been #6 for the past 6 weeks or so.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2013, 09:07:48 am »
Oh well, there's always next week.  I'm hoping we don't drop down too far, we've been #6 for the past 6 weeks or so.

Well, the good news is that we were still in 6th place after last night.

The bad news is the way we bowled last night, I doubt we'll still be there next week.

::)

It was like none of us could get our shit together, we lost all three games, and all 7 points.   >:(