Author Topic: Jake Gyllenhaal's Source Code: BUMP THREAD for Amanda's Bowie Info (2011)  (Read 63277 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Jake Gyllenhaal's Source Code: The First Five Minutes
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2011, 10:29:57 pm »
Now there are two movies I really need to see!! Thanks, John.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2011, 11:47:54 pm »
FWIW, (and this is taking us a tad bit off topic)... Johnny Got His Gun was the inspiration for Metallica's really famous song called "One" and clips from the film are in the video for that song.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Kay-Nasty

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Just Sending Up A Prayer Of Thanks"
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2011, 02:35:42 am »
SPOILERS         SPOILERS         SERIOUS         SPOILERS                 SPOILERS

I thought the ending was the most "Hollywood-ized" part.  Obviously, the movie was not supposed to have a happy ending, hence the captain's closure to parts of his life and the countdown to the cut-off of life support.  The whole ending looks like something tacked on because some focus group preview audience somewhere didn't like the original downer ending.  This 'happier' ending IMO weakens the entire movie by introducing the paradox.  i.e. did he just hijack poor Sean's body?  What happened to the teacher?  The teacher is the guy Christina fell for.  It makes it kinda creepy that you could be just living your life somewhere then someone else takes over your body.

I really liked this movie, including the alternate universe aspect at the end. I thought it was a nice unexpected twist and kept the movie from being too cheesy. I had already expected Jake's character to somehow live on and fall in love blah blah blah, but the moment Vera's character got the txt my brain did some twists and turns to sort everything out. I love it when movies, or books, make me stop and think. Plus I've been fascinated by the idea of parallel universes since the first time I saw Donnie Darko.  :o :o
I also thought Jake was excellent. A very underrated film.

"I never had money, and I was very happy without it. When I die, my money's not gonna come with me. My movies will live on - for people to judge what I was as a person."  ~Heath, I swear

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2011, 05:09:42 am »

SPOILER ALERT

I agree with everything Kay says.  I like to have thought provoking movies and books.
Brokeback mountain was one of those for sure.  We will never have the definitive answer to what happened to Jack.  We all have our opinions, but we don't know for sure.
  I liked this movie the best of anything Jake has done since BBM.  Including his own
war hero movie.  He is always good in all of what he does.  The only problem with
Zodiac was the lack of cohesive answers.  It is a thing that some directors do, in order
to as Proulx says, make it your own.  I liked it a great deal.  It was the very lack of
answers that makes it more interesting to me.  As in Donnie Darko, that is part of the
appeal.  Leave them wanting more.  Do not answer every tiny question.  It makes you think for yourself.  After all is life giving you all the answers to everything you encounter?  I for one will buy it and watch it over again for a long time to come.  It is a movie that will lend itself to that very well.
  The fast pace, and the manditory time span, makes you look fast, and try to catch more than you can possibly see.  In each section you try and pick up more of the clues to the whole reason, and the outcome.

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2011, 12:25:48 am »
A little trivia:  Vera Farmiga has acted both with Jake and with Heath.  She was in "Roar", playing Caitlin to Heath's Conor, in the Australian TV series from the '90s.

Watched a little movie tonight with my mom, Autumn in New York, because I was a little homesick for New York...and was delighted to see Vera appear in it, as Richard Gere's daughter, of all things! The movie was a lot like Love and Other Drugs, actually. I thought Jake was better in the male role, while I liked Wynona Ryder better than Anne (sorry!) in the sick beautiful young female role. Vera was luminous!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2011, 10:28:46 am »
I liked Wynona Ryder better than Anne (sorry!) in the sick beautiful young female role.

I haven't seen Autumn in New York, but I'm with you on Anne. I didn't think she was very convincing in that role. It's funny; I totally bought her as a middle-aged bleached blonde, but not as an artist with a degenerative disease.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Jake Gyllenhaal's Source Code: The First Five Minutes: SPOILERS
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2011, 10:50:26 pm »
In honor of this movie opening in Sweden today, I rented it! I enjoyed it!

The extreme, almost overstated optimism of the ending was interesting to me.  Duncan borrows so much from his Dad's symbolic world (which is extremely well-developed and nuanced after all these decades... Bowie almost has his own language of symbols that recur in his lyrics, performance and imagery).  But, this very insistent optimism is something a bit different.  And, good for Duncan for that.

Moon also had an optimistic ending. The dystopia is presented, and there is one person who triumphs over it, with the help of a sympathetic female/computer. It's not what I'm used to seeing in such movies, but it's refreshing!

The scene at the Glenbrook train station in the middle of the film still has me very shaken.  Honestly, it's a very brave thing to confront the train subject at all, IMO.  Certainly Duncan has taken on a huge family tragedy in not even close to subtle terms, and then blended it again with something like "Major Tom"-esque episodes (stuck in a capsule, etc.).  ...
To have Jake act out almost exactly the scenario of Duncan's uncle's suicide in that one particular Glenbrook scene... is beyond remarkable.  I can't imagine what Duncan would have had to go through emotionally to actively direct such a scene.  

Perhaps he found it therapeutic. The genius thing is that he took a very personal incident from his life and told a story that every viewer could identify with. Now that's impressive.

And, this is an old picture of Terry from before his illness really struck.

Wow, that looks like Shaun Fentress, the guy whose body Jake's character inhabits!!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
Jake Gyllenhaal's Source Code: BUMP THREAD for Amanda's Bowie Info (2011)
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2016, 11:02:29 pm »

BUMP THREAD for Amanda's amazing Bowie info in 2011.

(And--is it really more than four years ago??)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"