Author Topic: J.Crew Dares to Photograph a Gay Couple Under the Headline ‘Happy Together’  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2011/05/j_crew_dares_to_photograph_a_g.html

J.Crew Dares to Photograph
a Gay Couple Under the Headline
‘Happy Together’
for a New Catalogue

By: Amy Odell
5/2/11 at 5:40 PM

J.Crew quietly included a photo in its May catalogue of one of its stylish employees with his stylish boyfriend. Under the headline "Happy Together. Our designer Somsack and his boyfriend, Micah," the couple stand at arm's length, grinning at the camera in their perfectly slouched, crispy J.Crew outfits. J.Crew declined to comment on the image, which has been heralded by LGBT advocacy groups, effectively demonstrating that it's not a publicity stunt but a smart and effortless way to sell clothing in the year 2011. ABC News has a thorough report on this image, which is sadly quite an unusual thing in American advertising.

More American companies recognize the consumer buying power of the lesbian, gay, bisexual community. According to a report in the online magazine Treasury and Risk, their spending will exceed $769 billion this year.

Now, J.Crew seems to have jumped on the bandwagon, according to advertising experts.

Oh, so American companies are figuring out that gay people — like plenty of straight people! — like to shop.  Who would have thought?

J Crew at Center of Gay Economics With Openly Gay Model [ABC News]

(Related ABC video: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/jcrew-center-gay-politics-gay-couple-happy-catalog/story?id=13471616&singlePage=true )
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
The ad might be news, but the corporate knowledge about the gay demographic and market segments is not. We've known about the "gay dollar" for decades. Marketing directed at gay male and female demographics has been around, but you might not have noticed it...at least not consciously.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
I believe the term I've seen used regarding the gay market is "disposable income".

We have more cash to spend than straight couples with families.

I want to know where some of this disposable income is, 'cause I could sure use it!

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
I believe the term I've seen used regarding the gay market is "disposable income".

We have more cash to spend than straight couples with families.

Every demographic has some disposable income. And yes, sexual minorities tend to be childless, and heterosexuals tend to have children. So all other things being equal, sexual minorities tend to have a higher percentage of their income available for discretionary spending. The same can be said of DINKs, and single heteros.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
We call it the Pink Pound!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
they are way cute :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Every demographic has some disposable income. And yes, sexual minorities tend to be childless, and heterosexuals tend to have children. So all other things being equal, sexual minorities tend to have a higher percentage of their income available for discretionary spending. The same can be said of DINKs, and single heteros.

There may be other factors. Obviously gay people tend to be employed in some professions more commonly than others, if for no other reason than the majority members of those professions are less homophobic. Are those professions better paying? I don't know for sure (I can think of anecdotal examples either way), but there's a possibility, in which case it's possible that gay spending power isn't entirely reducible to the presence or absence of children.

Another factor might be this: While there's no reason to think that poor people are any less likely to be gay, it DOES seem possible that poor, uneducated gay people might be less likely to come out than better-educated (and thus, more affluent) gay people. So by definition, gay people targeted by advertising campaigns (i.e., openly gay people) would be wealthier.

Or think of it this way. People in the J.Crew target market have some spending money, and some of them are gay, and the ones who aren't mostly don't care. Some Walmart shoppers are gay, too, but appealing to them in ads is more likely to ruffle feathers among the non-gay Walmart customer base.

But yes, children are very expensive, so not having any would boost one's discretionary spending ability.

Offline Ellemeno

Also, the combined income of two men is statistically likely to be higher than the combined income of a man and a woman.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
Also, the combined income of two men is statistically likely to be higher than the combined income of a man and a woman.

Absolutlely. But lesbians are part of the gay market demo too, and a similar "disposable income" phenomenon exists among them too. And technically, 2 women would statistically earn less than a man and a woman.

Generally speaking, homosexual couples do not adopt the bread-winner/home-maker model that is traditional among hetero couples. Again, the presence or absence of children drives that aspect, at least in part.