Author Topic: Let´s celebrate men in dresses  (Read 118097 times)

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Let´s celebrate men in dresses
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2011, 11:39:11 am »
Interesting article, Katherine.  I got curious.  Here's Jon-Jon:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2011, 12:18:47 pm »
Interesting article, Katherine.  I got curious.  Here's Jon-Jon:

Hmm. Scary--and not because of the skirt.

Those don't look like "five-inch wedges from Steve Madden" to me, but what do I know?  ???

I have a penis, and I am attached to it.

:laugh:  If it were detachable, that would be really scary.

He writes well, and interestingly.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2011, 02:00:29 pm »
it's called transvestitism, regardless that he doesn't wear the undergarments.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2011, 07:01:52 pm »
it's called transvestitism, regardless that he doesn't wear the undergarments.

Is it transvestitism when women wear pants? It's so common now, but women fought long and hard to be able to wear pants in peace and without ridicule. Why should it be different for men who want to wear skirts?   I think that questioning gender conventions iS the most interesting aspect of this whole topic.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2011, 07:06:23 pm »

Gorgeous.  In some pics, he looks like Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2011, 07:43:02 pm »
Yeah, I can see what you mean about Jonathan Rhys Meyers.  He also reminds me a bit of Jaye Davidson from The Crying Games, in how feminine he can look.

Jaye Davidson:

In a way, this discussion fits more with the general androgyny thread.  I posted these pics of Andrej Pejic over in that thread in Safe Haven, but I may as well post them here too.  So interesting.  While he's not wearing skirts here, some of these are his most feminine pictures IMO.

This is his little bio, which is also interesting...
http://models.com/people/andrej-pejic
Country of origin: Bosnia-Herzegovina
Father is Croatian, mother is Serbian. From WWD profile December 20, 2010: "Since the fashion industry first began asking “Who’s the blonde girl?” at the Paris men’s shows in June (2010), 19-year- old Serbian Australian model Andrej Pejic has emerged as a poster boy for fashion androgyny. His long, platinum blonde hair and feminine features caught the attention of, among others, Steven Meisel and Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott. Jean Paul Gaultier not only booked Pejic for his spring 2011 men’s show, he also cast him in his spring ad campaign alongside Czech supermodel Karolina Kurkova. Now it looks like Marc Jacobs may also be going the guess-the-gender route for his Marc by Marc Jacobs spring campaign. Pejic recently returned from shooting the ads in Marrakech with Juergen Teller alongside look-alike Latvian (female) model Ginta Lapina. Born in Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Pejic and his family fled the war-torn region in the Nineties before settling as refugees in Melbourne, Australia."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2011, 08:21:44 pm »
Last week Boston Ballet did a modern program which included Jiri Kylian's Bella Figura, from which dance these images come.  In this section of the dance men and women have the same costume.  So instead of a man/woman dichotomy you have above and below the waist for all the dancers - bare above, while below is a version of an eighteenth century skirt with panniers, rather appropriate for the Baroque music used.  The dancers used these to great advantage in sections when groups of them zigzagged upstage and when they shook their hips from side to side.   I really loved this dance.   These pictures are from various performances in Europe and the US.   In the second picture the women are wearing bodices - possibly just for the purposes of that particular company's publicity shots.  The last picture is actually from the Boston Ballet performance which just happened.

Thanks, Andrew.  Reminds me of the 70's when Jiri Kylian was working with the Stuttgart Ballet.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2011, 08:48:04 pm »
Is it transvestitism when women wear pants? It's so common now, but women fought long and hard to be able to wear pants in peace and without ridicule. Why should it be different for men who want to wear skirts?   I think that questioning gender conventions iS the most interesting aspect of this whole topic.

I suppose one could ask why anybody would want to wear a skirt these days.

I mean, since skirts are no longer commonly instep-length, aren't skirts and dresses cold in cold weather?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2011, 08:57:07 pm »
I suppose one could ask why anybody would want to wear a skirt these days.

I mean, since skirts are no longer commonly instep-length, aren't skirts and dresses cold in cold weather?  ???

Well, I think some people just like the way skirts look.  Clearly people wear clothing for all kinds of non-practical reasons/ for mainly aesthetic reasons.  LOL, I don't need to own or wear my cowgirl hat or boots, but I like them! :)

And, you're right that skirts can be cold in cold weather.  But, they can be comfortable in warm weather.
:)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2011, 09:07:11 pm »
Actually, I think skirts are warmer than pants, in the same way mittens are warmer than gloves. But, with global warming looming, aren't skirts the wave of the future?
"chewing gum and duct tape"