Author Topic: Brokeback Symbolism  (Read 6042 times)

Offline Brokebacklove4ever

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "Love is a force of nature"
Brokeback Symbolism
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:55:27 am »
Hello Everyone,
As I am having a cocktail, a tug of tobacco from my pipe, and enjoying the wilderness with our beloved Ennis and Jack, I cant help but think of scenes that seem to be metaphors concerning the boys lives, their state of mind at that time,etc. One that comes to mind is Ennis and the paperbag. When we first meet Ennis, he exits a big rig, carrying a paperbag with what I assume is all of his worldy belongings. Why is it when Ennis finally has the courage to go to Jack's parents home, he leaves AGAIN with a paperboy, this time with a symbol of his endearing love for Jack, and Jack for him. Why the paprerbags? Paperbags are easily disposable, and maybe this is how this man felt his life was before he met jack, a life with no real value. But why the paperboy with the iconic twoshirts? Does anyone have any suggestions, I do, but lets see what y'all think

Be good to yourselves ;)
"Swear I didn't know we were gonna get into this again." Jack Twist

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Brokeback Symbolism
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 08:36:56 pm »
Hi Brokebacklove4ever, that 's a good question! I'm checking to see if the paper bag appears in the story too... No, it's not in the intro or in the ending either. That means the paper bags were Ang Lee's idea, a very Eastern idea, too, because any kind of container can be thought of as symbolic of the soul in Taoist religions. In fact, during the hippie era, one's passions were referred to as their "bag" as in, "That's just not my bag". It seems very awkward today in the era of the elevator speech!

There are many containers depicted in the movie, but the paper bag is one of the most poignant. It is humble and self-effacing as in the idea of the "bag lady" or "putting a bag over your head". Then, too, there's the connotation of the plain paper bag that disguises all manner of personal items. I've heard that sex toys are delivered in a "plain paper bag" although today I'm sure they're delivered in a FedEx box. Especially at the end, Ennis received the comforting anonymity of the shirts lovingly wrapped in a plain paper bag by Mrs. Twist, who understood. There's the aspect of humility and poverty. Jesus was born in a manger, and Ennis appears as a hitchhiker with all his belongings in a plain paper bag.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:30:24 pm »
Hi,

I love discussing the symbolism in Brokeback Mountain, and there's such a rich amount of it.

I wonder if that plain brown paper bag symbollizes a secret that Ennis has, in homophobic times, as in letting "something out of the bag".   He seems to hold onto it so tightly in the beginning, and then again when Jack's mother puts the shirts in a brown paper bag, and "keeps" his secret for him, when she gives them to him with the knowing look.  Such a poignant scene.    Of course, it could just be a symbol of simplicity and poverty, where Ennis and Jack bring their lunch/belongings with them to the job site.  

M
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:37:42 pm »
I found what I think may be symbolism. In the scene when Ennis is getting out of the truck and starting to walk. There are 2 but I dont think 3 telephone polls that look like the crucifix. I don't want to use the word crucifixtion, but it might represent the suffering of Earl & Jack. Then towards the end of movie at Jack's homestead there is another crucifix on the wall in the all white room..sorta like Easter Sunday, the resurection.
Then again I may be just too Catholic.
Steve
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 02:31:48 am »
I have thought of the two paper bags....the metaphor I see is....the first paper bag in the beginning represented his scant worldly possessions.....the second paper bag with the shirts represented his whole world....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 03:00:04 am »
I think the bags are bookends. Ennis starts the tale with nothing more than what fits into a paper bag. He goes through the journey and gains so much more. By the end he has lost everything, and is left with nothing more than what fits into a paper bag.

I think the bags underscore Ennis' folly, and the idea that--after all is said and done--he ends up with little more than what he started with makes the story all the more tragic for me.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 03:05:51 am »
I´ve always also interpreted the bags as Ennis, in the end, having no more than he started out with. A bag with shirts in it. The difference is that in the first bag, there are only his own shirts, but in the bag at the end, are both his and Jack´s shirts. But still just shirts.