Author Topic: Bully  (Read 19470 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Bully
« on: March 08, 2012, 04:23:12 pm »
Well, it looks like the Gay Party has done something else that I am more than happy to support. There is a documentary titled Bully being released on March 30, 2012. As the title would suggest, it examines bullies, their targets, the parents and others who love and support each. The problem that the HRC is working to solve is that the movie has been given an R rating, which puts it out of reach for many of the children--both the bullies and the targets--who would benefit from seeing it.

I found out about this from a college professor buddy of mine via facebook. The HRC has a letter-writing campaign going here:

https://secure3.convio.net/hrc/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1375

I don't particularly like the way the HRC letter is worded, so I wrote my own and sent it.

I know that I'm a pain in the ass to many of you here at Bettermost, and that's not likely to change. But I think this a worthy cause to support, and I hope you can look past our differences, and hopefully agree with me...this time.

http://thebullyproject.com
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Bully
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 03:25:13 am »
It's a shame and an irony that this documentary received a R rating.
Since the site has an option for people from non US countries, I signed.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:44:35 am »
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Milo.  I sent a letter and posted it to my FB wall too.

As an aside, for these on-line petitions, I almost always at least edit the letter being sent, if not completely re-write it, because I think it's important to make it personal and to let the person/company know WHY the issue matters to me.

Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 01:02:07 pm »
To add to the discussion:

http://news.moviefone.com/michael-tucker/bully-r-rating_b_1333649.html

It's Time That We Rethink How We Rate Movies
Michael Tucker, Filmmaker
Posted: 03/ 8/2012 10:06 pm

When I first heard that the Weinstein Company had lost its appeal to overturn the R rating that the MPAA had given to Lee Hirsch's film Bully, I was taken back to 2005 when we opted for an appeal for our Iraq War film Gunner Palace after it also received an R for language. At the time, the war was raging in Iraq, young people were dying every day, coverage of the war was in decline and we thought it was imperative that high school students have access -- unrestricted -- to a film that could help them relate to the conflict. An R rating would make that impossible, not just in the immediate, but also in the future, because few school districts purchase R rated films for their libraries.

So, I flew out to Hollywood with Andy Robbins who ran marketing for our distributor and screened the movie for the appeals board -- which consisted of a juror of a dozen industry representatives and a priest. After they watched the film, we presented our case, Joan Graves from CARA made a rebuttal and we were allowed to close our arguments. As I said my final remarks -- fighting back emotion -- I felt like we were defending not just a film, but an experience, one that the young soldiers in the film lived and we had captured. The language in the film wasn't gratuitous, it was unfiltered reality and if it was offensive, then I reminded the board that war is the greatest profanity of them all.

When we were finished, Andy I were taken to a holding area while the board tallied their votes. An assistant came back a short time later and said the vote was (I believe) 9 to 3. Joan Graves consoled us, as if to say, "Better luck next time fellas." The assistant then said,"No, Joan, they won."

We were elated and thanked the board -- in our eyes, they had done their job that day, which is to say, rules will be challenged and it's imperative that a body that claims to safeguard the community standards of a nation be aware of the currents in that community. The film was released, the MPAA was not bombarded with letters from pressure groups and the film now sits on the shelves of most school libraries. A few years later I was asked about the appeal and in retrospect, it occurred to me how difficult it is to rate reality. Is the little girl running down the street -- burnt by Napalm -- in Nick Ut's famous photograph a PG or an R? What about Buchenwald? Or Abu Ghraib? Are those NC17? When does the public good outweigh the pressure to censor and restrict access to images and words?

Fast forward seven years, as a filmmaker and as the parent of a sixteen year old girl, I'm hugely disappointed that the MPAA upheld the R rating of Bully -- one originally given for six uses of the F-word or variations of it. In the eyes of the MPAA, once you pass two F-Bombs, you automatically have an R. Never mind that in one of the scenes where the F-word is used, a boy is bullied on a school bus by an older boy who also tells the younger that he's going to cut him and assault him with a broom handle. Watching this -- and many scenes in the film -- you often forget that you are in a middle school and not in a prison yard. These are ugly real threats and the escalation and use of language is essential to the film. At it's heart, "Bully" is about the power of words. To understand what these kids are really experiencing you have to hear the language. Editing or bleeping would be an insult to that experience. But the MPAA is not worried about that or the best interests of kids, rather, they are worried about angry pressure groups and commentators, the same sort of people who, ironically, love to throw around words like slut at their enemies.

I thought we were beyond this as a culture -- especially after our appeal -- but it seems that Joan Graves and the MPAA will always have one foot firmly planted in the '50s, a time when the F-word and Allen Ginsberg were threats to their way of life. It's about time that we rethink how we rate movies.

Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 04:20:07 pm »
Thanks for posting this article, Mandy. I will hopefully have some time to participate in my local school board meetings, and I would most certainly be among those pressuring the board to ignore the ratings and look at the benefits of the content of Bully, and other movies.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 09:03:38 am »
Signed, posted on Facebook and tweeted.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 11:56:21 am »
Signed, posted on Facebook and tweeted.

Cool!!

I've got to start tweeting. When I first signed up, the only person in my contacts that has an account was my boss. So I've ignored twitter for the last 2-3 years.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 07:02:20 pm »
Cool!!

I've got to start tweeting. When I first signed up, the only person in my contacts that has an account was my boss. So I've ignored twitter for the last 2-3 years.

I did too, though I found later that I had ignored it at my peril -- missed the chance to use it for some professional promotional opportunities that would have been helpful. However, it's a serious time suck -- not just the site itself but, for me, its consequences.  Most of the people I follow are writers, and they're constantly recommending articles and essays, and pretty soon my browser is full of tabs that it would take me a month to read. So I only go there maybe once a week and treat it like a cocktail party where I hear a few conversations here and there but could never take completely in.

I'm not sure it's all that useful for people who don't have self-promotion or networking requirements, except maybe for the chance to see what public figures you like are doing, reading, thinking, joking about. I'm not interested in Lady Gaga and Charlie Sheen, but for following prominent writers and making potential professional contacts it's helpful.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:20:41 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/bully-documentary-could-hit-theaters-without-rating-021146101.html

"Bully" documentary could hit theaters without rating
By Susan Heavey | Reuters – 10 hrs ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A new documentary film about bullying set for theaters this month could come out unrated after objections from teenaged victims, celebrities, members of Congress and others over its restrictive rating by a Hollywood studio group.

The head of the Motion Picture Association of America said on Thursday there were several options to get around the "R" rating that would prevent people under 17-year-old from seeing the film in the United States without a parent, including releasing it without a rating.

"There are ways of doing this," said MPAA chairman Chris Dodd during an emotional debate after a screening at the group's Washington office. "One, they don't have to be rated."

Dodd added: "My hope is we can find some way to work through this."

"Bully," set for release starting March 30, has drawn controversy over the MPAA's rating. Opponents of the group's decision say many youth need to see the film in order to tackle the problem of bullying, and its "R" rating will prevent kids from seeing it not only in theaters but also in schools.

The MPAA, which represents Hollywood's major movie studios in governmental matters, rates films for content such as sex, violence and language to give audiences an idea of what will be in the movies they see.

In the case of "Bully," the movie was given its restrictive "R" rating due to foul language. The director, so far, has declined to change the movie, arguing the language is essential to the story. The MPAA has refused to budge, too.

Harvey Weinstein, whose The Weinstein Co. is distributing the film, called Dodd's proposal of an unrated film a "lifeline" and said "unrated could give us the options that we want."

The special screening just two blocks from the White House drew emotional pleas from not only director Lee Hirsch, but also from a teenaged victim and a parent who are featured in his movie, as well as another bullied teenager who started an online petition to fight the rating.

"Our reality is not censored," said Kelby Johnson, a 16-year-old from Oklahoma featured in the documentary. She said she was called worse names than those heard in the movie when she went to school, on the bus or at the mall.

"Since when did curse words become more important than our children's lives?" she asked Dodd.

David Long, a father from Georgia whose son Tyler Long hanged himself in 2009 at age 17 after years of being bullied, also called on Dodd to take action.

"We take a step back" if communities don't show the movie because of the rating, said Long.

Weinstein said his company had been planning to have thousands children bussed from schools into theaters to see the film - a plan that has become complicated after the "R" rating. Schools can still show the movie, but school boards would likely require each child to have the approval of a parent.

Dodd, the former U.S. senator from Connecticut who is known for his work on children's issues, said he did not want the ratings controversy to overshadow the film's important message.

But that is exactly what is happening, argued Hirsch, who pressed Dodd to not only address his film's rating but what he called a broken system that allowed films with more graphic violence to get less restrictive PG-13 ratings that allows kids under 17 to see a film without parental supervision.

Victims of bullying already feel like their voices aren't heard, Hirsch said. They are moved by the film's message and want others to see it, he added. "Don't let them down."

(Reporting By Susan Heavey; Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)

Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 05:20:46 pm »

"Bully" documentary could hit theaters without rating

That's a big improvement.