Author Topic: Happy Independence Day America!  (Read 90203 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Happy Independence Day America!
« on: July 04, 2012, 12:57:14 pm »
to the U.S.A.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Happy Independence Day America!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 02:04:19 pm »
I like your Ostara (sp?) rabbits, Del.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:47:08 pm »
I like your Ostara (sp?) rabbits, Del.  :)

Thanks!  I'm behind on changing my icon for the seasons. :P  Midsummer came and went so fast!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:59:26 pm »
Thanks!  I'm behind on changing my icon for the seasons. :P  Midsummer came and went so fast!

I know what you mean. Time just seems to be racing by.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Marge_Innavera

A new perspective on Labor Day
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 12:46:51 pm »
"House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) on Monday mistakenly described Labor Day as a celebration of entrepreneurs and business owners, rather than workers.

“ 'Today, we celebrate those who have taken a risk, worked hard, built a business and earned their own success,' the conservative congressman said in a statement. 'I am committed to keeping taxes low and reducing red tape to make it easier for Virginia’s small business owners to start hiring again, create more jobs and ensure a thriving economy for the future so more people can achieve the American dream.'

"However, Labor Day actually celebrates the victories of trade and labor organizations in the United States, who fought for 8-hour work days and other standards that most Americans take for granted.

"The first Labor Day was organized by the Central Labor Union of New York City in 1882, according to the Department of Labor. Other labor organizations across the country quickly adopted the celebration."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/09/03/rep-cantor-labor-day-celebrates-business-owners/

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 01:03:34 pm »
Thanks for pointing that out, Marge.  Talk about not getting it.  ::)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

Re: A new perspective on Labor Day
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:34:19 pm »
"House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) on Monday mistakenly described Labor Day as a celebration of entrepreneurs and business owners, rather than workers.

“ 'Today, we celebrate those who have taken a risk, worked hard, built a business and earned their own success,' the conservative congressman said in a statement. 'I am committed to keeping taxes low and reducing red tape to make it easier for Virginia’s small business owners to start hiring again, create more jobs and ensure a thriving economy for the future so more people can achieve the American dream.'

"However, Labor Day actually celebrates the victories of trade and labor organizations in the United States, who fought for 8-hour work days and other standards that most Americans take for granted.

"The first Labor Day was organized by the Central Labor Union of New York City in 1882, according to the Department of Labor. Other labor organizations across the country quickly adopted the celebration."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/09/03/rep-cantor-labor-day-celebrates-business-owners/

Oh brother.   ::)  Either the man didn't do his homework or he was deliberately trying to twist a holiday to suit his own agenda.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 02:27:16 pm »
Isn't it nice how our friends in other places wish us a happy Independence Day? I don't see many Statesians wishing other countries the same thing, except for Canada. And I think that's because Canada Day is so close to our Fourth of July.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 11:31:17 am »
Isn't it nice how our friends in other places wish us a happy Independence Day? I don't see many Statesians wishing other countries the same thing, except for Canada. And I think that's because Canada Day is so close to our Fourth of July.

Guilty as charged. I don't even know when their holidays are. The United States so monopolizes global culture that ID is more widely familiar.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 06:21:02 pm »

What about Bastille Day? That's July 14, isn't it?  ???