615,351 Posts in 14,785 Topics by 2,758 Residents
Latest Member: Ungazintonat
BetterMost, Wyoming & Brokeback Mountain Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2018, 11:55:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Home Help Login Register
BetterMost, Wyoming & Brokeback Mountain Forum  |  Our BetterMost Community  |  The Holiday Forum (Moderator: Meryl)  |  Topic: Happy Independence Day America! 0 Residents and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy Independence Day America!  (Read 1125 times)
delalluvia
BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club

"Truth is an iron bride"

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2012, 12:57:14 pm »

to the U.S.A.

Jeff Wrangler
BetterMost Supporter!
The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

"Tom Cody. Pleased to meet ya."

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 02:04:19 pm »

I like your Ostara (sp?) rabbits, Del.  Smiley

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.
delalluvia

"Truth is an iron bride"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:47:08 pm »

I like your Ostara (sp?) rabbits, Del.  Smiley

Thanks!  I'm behind on changing my icon for the seasons. Tongue  Midsummer came and went so fast!

Jeff Wrangler
BetterMost Supporter!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:59:26 pm »

Thanks!  I'm behind on changing my icon for the seasons. Tongue  Midsummer came and went so fast!

I know what you mean. Time just seems to be racing by.  Undecided

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.
Marge_Innavera

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 12:46:51 pm »

"House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) on Monday mistakenly described Labor Day as a celebration of entrepreneurs and business owners, rather than workers.

“ 'Today, we celebrate those who have taken a risk, worked hard, built a business and earned their own success,' the conservative congressman said in a statement. 'I am committed to keeping taxes low and reducing red tape to make it easier for Virginia’s small business owners to start hiring again, create more jobs and ensure a thriving economy for the future so more people can achieve the American dream.'

"However, Labor Day actually celebrates the victories of trade and labor organizations in the United States, who fought for 8-hour work days and other standards that most Americans take for granted.

"The first Labor Day was organized by the Central Labor Union of New York City in 1882, according to the Department of Labor. Other labor organizations across the country quickly adopted the celebration."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/09/03/rep-cantor-labor-day-celebrates-business-owners/

Meryl
BetterMost Supporter

There's no reins on this one....

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 01:03:34 pm »

Thanks for pointing that out, Marge.  Talk about not getting it.  Roll Eyes

Ich bin ein Brokie...
delalluvia

"Truth is an iron bride"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:34:19 pm »

"House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) on Monday mistakenly described Labor Day as a celebration of entrepreneurs and business owners, rather than workers.

“ 'Today, we celebrate those who have taken a risk, worked hard, built a business and earned their own success,' the conservative congressman said in a statement. 'I am committed to keeping taxes low and reducing red tape to make it easier for Virginia’s small business owners to start hiring again, create more jobs and ensure a thriving economy for the future so more people can achieve the American dream.'

"However, Labor Day actually celebrates the victories of trade and labor organizations in the United States, who fought for 8-hour work days and other standards that most Americans take for granted.

"The first Labor Day was organized by the Central Labor Union of New York City in 1882, according to the Department of Labor. Other labor organizations across the country quickly adopted the celebration."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/09/03/rep-cantor-labor-day-celebrates-business-owners/

Oh brother.   Roll Eyes  Either the man didn't do his homework or he was deliberately trying to twist a holiday to suit his own agenda.

Front-Ranger
BetterMost Moderator

I'm marching for her!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 02:27:16 pm »

Isn't it nice how our friends in other places wish us a happy Independence Day? I don't see many Statesians wishing other countries the same thing, except for Canada. And I think that's because Canada Day is so close to our Fourth of July.

May 2018 be better for us all.
serious crayons
BetterMost Moderator

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 11:31:17 am »

Isn't it nice how our friends in other places wish us a happy Independence Day? I don't see many Statesians wishing other countries the same thing, except for Canada. And I think that's because Canada Day is so close to our Fourth of July.

Guilty as charged. I don't even know when their holidays are. The United States so monopolizes global culture that ID is more widely familiar.

Jeff Wrangler
BetterMost Supporter!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 06:21:02 pm »

What about Bastille Day? That's July 14, isn't it?  Huh?

Front-Ranger
BetterMost Moderator

I'm marching for her!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 09:07:24 pm »

Good point. Let's plan to celebrate!

May 2018 be better for us all.
Jeff Wrangler
BetterMost Supporter!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 12:08:22 am »

What about Bastille Day? That's July 14, isn't it?  Huh?

Good point. Let's plan to celebrate!

"Let them eat [cherry] cake"?  Grin

CellarDweller

A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 04:38:07 pm »

I must admit, I don't know very many holidays in other countries.

I've heard of Midsummer, Cinco De Mayo,  Canada Day, Bastille Day.  If others are listed they may jog my memory, but I don't know them off-hand.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!
serious crayons
BetterMost Moderator

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 10:14:27 am »

I must admit, I don't know very many holidays in other countries.

I've heard of Midsummer, Cinco De Mayo,  Canada Day, Bastille Day.  If others are listed they may jog my memory, but I don't know them off-hand.

I've totally heard of Cinco de Mayo -- and even know what date it falls on!  laugh  Oh but wait, do I know what it celebrates? Nope not really. Something to do with Mexican independence from Spain, I'm guessing. Sorry, Mexicans.

I don't know when Canada Day is or what it celebrates. Sorry, Canadians. I've heard of Boxing Day, and isn't that the day after Christmas? It used to remind me of the sport of boxing, but then I came to think it's something about boxing up your gifts or throwing the gift boxes away. But that's probably not it. Sorry, UK residents.

I do know vaguely what Bastille Day is (something about storming the Bastille in the French Revolution?). But I never remember what the date is, or think about it more than once every five years or so. Sorry, French people.

Midsummer, however, is one where the date and reason for celebrating are both pretty obvious. As a child, I read a book by a Swedish author set in Sweden in which children celebrated Midsummer, and it sounded really fun. As another resident of a far northern latitude, I can totally relate to the idea of celebrating the solstice. Yay, Scandinavians!

For years I've been under the impression that the traditional refreshments for Midsummer were crawfish and ice-cold vodka. That's because when I lived in New Orleans I wrote a newspaper story about China trying to overtake the crawfish industry by deliberately selling crawfish at below-market rates. (My spellcheck is telling me I'm supposed to say crayfish but in Louisiana they call them crawfish.) I learned that Scandinavian countries were the biggest crawfish importers, and somebody said they eat them at Midsummer with vodka.

That sounded delightful to me. And I just googled now and found that there IS a holiday in Scandinavia where they consume those things. Only it's in August.

Yep, I'm one of those ignorant Americans.

Chrissi and I have been trying for years to promote a holiday called Longerdays, the day after the Winter Solstice. It hasn't caught on really widely yet but at least we can say it's celebrated internationally!

(In truth, I think we already have one or two winter solstice celebrations -- they're called New Year's Day and Christmas. I'm pretty sure the dates designated are related to their proximity to the solstice, and in the case of Christmas the willingness of early Christians to meet pagans halfway on holiday traditions.)

CellarDweller

A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 07:20:10 pm »

Yep, I'm one of those ignorant Americans.

*raises hand*

I'm one too!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
BetterMost, Wyoming & Brokeback Mountain Forum  |  Our BetterMost Community  |  The Holiday Forum (Moderator: Meryl)  |  Topic: Happy Independence Day America! « previous next »
Jump to:  

Listen to Brokeback Mountain Radio 1
Listen to Brokeback Mountain Radio 1

Help keep this site operating by donating.

Web bettermost.net
Image courtesy of 'AuroraLucis'

No more beans.  I'm sick of beans.