Author Topic: Another Deleted scene?  (Read 17444 times)

Offline Wreeah

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Another Deleted scene?
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 11:42:40 pm »
I think the film should be left alone as it is now.  There's some small tiny things I wish had been included, but the way the film currently flows (and what the audience is and isn't alowed to see) works on many levels.  To include any of those deleted scenes might change the emotional impact or perception of a scene.

However, I'd still be curious to see the scenes that were removed in a 'special feature' option on the DVD.
It could be like this... just like this...  always.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 10:29:48 am »
Oh, okay, understand. So, I would call it maybe "An expanded edition"? or "The version with comentary"? I guess. I'll tell you what, I know more about the movie industry than I did this time last year. Makes me want to pack up and head west and get a job as a gaffer or something.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 12:08:47 pm »
We need to start a campaign, we need to write Focus Features and demonstrate to them the viability for them and the need by us for a director's cut version.

I do hope an expanded DVD is released with at least that cemetery scene included. The still gives me the impression that it belongs in the film, as some of the other deleted scenes I've heard described do not.

My DVD version of Mists of Avalon has a section with scenes that were deleted, with a subtitle explaining why they weren't included. The DVD version of Dances With Wolves, on the other hand, edited some missing scenes back in and as a result the DVD is a significant improvement over the original theatre version.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 12:31:54 pm »
I don't like having deleted scenes added back into a movie... unless the movie really lacked something to begin with. (Like a character's motivation for a particular action, or the emotional response to something.)

I don't think BBM lacks anything. The cemetary scene looks poignant... but I think that the two closets convey Ennis's sense of loss, and I think that their power would be diminished by showing more.

I think this movie is a masterpiece, in part, because of what it doesn't show or doesn't say. Because it leaves so much up to the viewer. So while I want to see every little piece of footage that was shot, I don't want to see it within the movie. (And I really, really, really don't want to see an extended version become known as the "real" movie, as has happened with the Lord of the Rings movies.)

Commentary tracks, though... I would like those.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 01:20:44 pm »
Oh, okay, understand. So, I would call it maybe "An expanded edition"? or "The version with comentary"? I guess.

I like "expanded edition."  :D

I'll tell you what, I know more about the movie industry than I did this time last year. Makes me want to pack up and head west and get a job as a gaffer or something.

How about "best boy"? Always thought that had a nice ring to it. You want a be somebody's "best boy," Shakes?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 04:34:56 pm »
I think this movie is a masterpiece, in part, because of what it doesn't show or doesn't say. Because it leaves so much up to the viewer. So while I want to see every little piece of footage that was shot, I don't want to see it within the movie.

Amen to every word you said  :)!
I also want to see everything - but not inserted into the movie. Don't change the movie the slightest bit.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 05:02:46 pm »
Amen to every word you said  :)!
I also want to see everything - but not inserted into the movie. Don't change the movie the slightest bit.

Couldn't agree more. I've said it before and I stand by this: The only thing I absolutely don't want to see is an "extended version" with the deleted scenes worked into the current film's narrative.

There's no improving on perfection.

While the risk of marring the beauty and clarity of the film's theatrical version through any changes or additions must be considered all the greater.

I fear that Focus Features are using that exact kind of reasoning for not even releasing a DVD with deleted scenes as separate bonus material, though......
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 05:10:22 pm by Mikaela »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 09:12:12 pm »
Welcome new people.  Want a cup of coffee don't you?  A piece of cherry cake?
 ;)

Those pix of Ennis at the family plot do look sort of familiar, but they certainly do add to the mystery of the deleted scenes/ confusing promo material.

Just watch the official preview for the movie and count how many things are shown in the preview that never made it into the film.  Plus the famous alternative Ennis-in-Jack's-closet scene being shown at the Independent Spirit Awards is another amazing example of extra footage (of one kind or another) floating around out there.

Maybe we should call the long-dreamed-of special edition the Cutting Room Floor version rather than the Director's Cut.  Or, the phrase "Director's Cut" could be interpreted in a different way... we could take it to mean "scenes that the director decided to cut out" rather than the more conventional meaning (which I guess is usually something like 'the director's prefered cut').

;D

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 12:41:17 pm »
Plus the famous alternative Ennis-in-Jack's-closet scene being shown at the Independent Spirit Awards is another amazing example of extra footage (of one kind or another) floating around out there.

This might be a minority opinion, but I'd definitely want to see that scene added, in addition to the cemetery scene. Probably the latter isn't very long.

Maybe we should call the long-dreamed-of special edition the Cutting Room Floor version rather than the Director's Cut.  Or, the phrase "Director's Cut" could be interpreted in a different way... we could take it to mean "scenes that the director decided to cut out" rather than the more conventional meaning (which I guess is usually something like 'the director's prefered cut').

Yeah, "director's cut" seems to be a bit of a misnomer, as a film belongs to the producer in the end, not the director. Unless they're one and the same, of course.

Offline Wreeah

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 01:33:16 am »
There was an alternative 'Closet' scene????  :o
Geez, I'm learning something new about this film all the time.
This is probably old news to most of you here, but I had never heard about this.
Man.... do I ever feel  behind the times  here...
It could be like this... just like this...  always.