Author Topic: Privacy feature  (Read 14876 times)

Offline nicpic64

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Privacy feature
« on: April 04, 2006, 06:35:46 pm »

I took a few minutes today to see what was happening at Chez Tremblay this afternoon.  I read with curiosity David's thread about leaving because the privacy feature was revoked due to public pressure.  I then read the subsequent messages, some supporting David, others not so much.  Can I add my two-bits worth? 

I think David has a point, a very strong point.  The freedom to post in privacy is a feature some people would prefer.  I for one.  If I could have figured out how to work the thing, I would have posted only incognito, for my own reasons, the first being I happen to live with the board's namesake.

What surprised me most though, was the apathy with which I heard so many say they "couldn't care either way".   David is talking about the right to privacy on a public forum.  This is not small potatoes.  I know most of you are big L liberals and that is why the reaction surprised me so much.  Maybe the fact I am Canadian has something to do with the fact that the removal of this personal freedom (yeah, yeah, it's only a privacy function on a fun movie forum)  is for me not a small thing.   The acceptance of phone tapping, surveillance cameras, and other blatant abuses of our rights and freedoms in the guise of our protection from terror is frightening.  David has every right to be dramatic and maybe it's time people become a hell of a lot more dramatic in the light of this Brave New World we are shaping.

Now you guys go ahead, react to what I have to say.  Be dramatic.  Give a shit. Tell me off if you must but do me a favour, lay off David.  He is the most kind, most polite, most positive young gentleman I have met in a long time.  Thank goodness there are still people who feel that strongly about things and who are still willing to stand up and say something. 

This is a great forum for open and honest discussion.  Anger, frustration, drama, tears, love and laughter make it what it is.  Don't ever allow it to become any less.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Nicole Tremblay

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: Privacy feature
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 06:51:25 pm »
a voice of reason and perspective

Thanks Nicole!

Heathen

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 06:53:05 pm »
Hi Nicole,

:)

Actually we're not allowed to tell anyone off on this forum. So there won't be any of that.

I did that yesterday in a moment of passion and learned my lesson.

* I just typed 10 sentences . read them. deleted them.  Why?  Because frankly , some of these threads are starting to really make me angry. I am going to stop right now.

Paul
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 07:01:16 pm by montferrat »
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 07:02:12 pm »

This is a great forum for open and honest discussion.  Anger, frustration, drama, tears, love and laughter make it what it is.  Don't ever allow it to become any less.

I appreciate frank and open discussions about issues, but I don't want to see that reduced to personal attacks.  I've had lots of experience administering message forums, and I can tell you that when people stop discussing issues and start attacking each other personally, civility falls completely apart and a forum created as a place for friendship and support rapidly descends into chaos.

I don't believe in heavy-handed moderation, but I want people to understand there are some reasonable limits.  All of the things you mentioned are being important for frank and open discussion can be managed without tearing down fellow users.  It's very important that we can all be there for one another.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 07:28:59 pm by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 07:39:41 pm »
I'm still not sure what happened exactly (have to read David's thread first, I guess), but I'm fine with the hidden feature thing. As long as Philip knows what's going on, I think we should accept it.

I have admittedly been a bit paranoid about who's going to follow or trace us here, but we have an administrator and moderators and I'd like to believe they know what's best for this forum.

In any case I'd be sad to have anyone leave here that has been a survivor from the BBM and then PT board!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 08:06:41 pm »
Well said, Nicole.

I think we should trust Philip on this issue. He knows a hell of a lot about forums so he knows what he's doing. He can see the "hidden" users anyway, so we shouldn't worry too much.

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 08:08:44 pm »
*deleted my own post*

forget it....sigh....
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 08:10:19 pm by montferrat »
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 09:40:40 pm »
Ahem,   would people please refer to a poster by their screen name in later posts.   For example,  StudDuck made those remarks, yet people keep typing David this, David that, which many people may think is ME!      :P

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 09:58:23 pm by DavidinHartford »

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 10:16:43 pm »
David(inHartford), I know what it's like to have double-name confusion  ;D
I agree, people should say StudDuck if they are referencing the other David, as to avoid confusion.

Offline nicpic64

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 10:20:24 pm »
Sorry DavidinHartford.  I'm not used to these forums.  This is the first and only one I've ever been on and even then I am only on to peek in from time to time.  I meant Studduck.

Hey Paul! I mean Montferrat. I'm really curious about what you keep deleting.  Please PM me.  I can take it.  Honest.

And Philip, I know you know what you are doing and are used to these forums, I was just stating my opinion regarding an issue that interests me.  No doubt you have a very good reason for doing what you did.  I have an opinion contrary to it.  Please know that this has nothing to do with you personally, this is just my opinion.

signed,
nicpic64