Author Topic: 50th Anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assassination  (Read 8766 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: 50th Anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assassination
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 12:20:42 am »
I was a 7th grader just entering middle school and I was very overwhelmed. I was standing at my locker in the basement of my school just trying to deal with all my books, coat, and other belongings when I heard a clattering on the stairs. I was scared because there was no one else around. Suddenly, Kirstie Alley, who was a year or two older than me, burst into the hall and yelled at me, "Kennedy was shot". I just gaped at her, not able to take it in. "What?" I squeeked. "Kennedy was shot!" she repeated and moved on. I was mostly shocked because she had disrespectfully said "Kennedy" instead of "President Kennedy". I had no idea that he was mortally wounded. (Maybe I thought she was a drama queen way back then!)

I was a 3rd grader. Just a few weeks prior, JFK visited New York one day for some reason (I was only 9 years old and stupid, don't know why) and the entire school was to stand outside on a corner and watch him go by. The entire school--except for MY class. The Nun (sorry, nearly all our nuns were mean) decided we were too noisy that day, so she and we sat in our classroom, in silence, hands folded, in the otherwise deserted school.

So. It was just a few weeks later that JFK was shot in Dallas. And there we were, again, sitting in silence until we were told that we were leaving early. I remember how shocked I was when I got home in the early afternoon and found my mother and her sister, my aunt, were watching the news on the black and white set. I remember the funeral on the same black and white set. I remember how all the adults were so sad and stunned--

Hard to believe that MLK and RFK were killed only four and a half years after that.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 02:36:53 am »
I'm born in 1968 so obviously don't have anything to contribute. But I wanted to say thanks to all who shared their memories. Very interesting.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 01:04:12 pm »
I was in 1st grade and our family was just about to move to Oakland from Oklahoma City.  As far as the assassination goes, I didn't know what was happening, only that my mom was crying her eyes out!  You couldn't say anything bad about the Kennedy family in my house: my parents worshipped them. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 01:42:46 am »
I was in first grade and remember our teacher leaving class for a few minutes and then coming back to announce it. I knew it was a big deal because she almost started crying. "He was shot ... in the head," she said, her voice breaking, as if the location of the wound was what made it really awful. Seeing my teacher react that way kind of freaked me out more than the news itself.

When Ronald Reagan was shot, I heard the news while standing in a book store. Suddenly I choked up, just as my teacher had about 20 years earlier. And I wasn't even a Republican! Suddenly, I understood my teacher's reaction.

Suddenly, Kirstie Alley, who was a year or two older than me, burst into the hall

I didn't know you went to school with Kirstie Alley.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 03:40:18 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVNKNz-lc6k[/youtube]
Conductor Erich Leinsdorf breaks the news of
Kennedy's assassination, plays Beethoven's 3rd

Uploaded on Feb 7, 2012 

The radio microphones were present at a Boston Symphony Orchestra concert at an extraordinary moment in American history.

On November 22, 1963, conductor Erich Leinsdorf was leading the regular Friday afternoon BSO concert at Symphony Hall. Before the program began, it had been reported across the nation that president John F. Kennedy had been shot by a sniper while riding in a motorcade in Dallas. It was known, too, that his injuries were serious, but that was all the information that was available.

During the first half of the concert, what was feared became confirmed: Kennedy's wounds were fatal. Monitoring news reports backstage at Symphony Hall, orchestra officials determined to continue the concert, but with a change in the program. Librarians pulled orchestral parts to Beethoven's "Eroica" funeral march from the shelves and brought them down to the stage door. After learning of the tragedy himself backstage, Leinsdorf walked back onstage, relayed word to the audience, and led the BSO in a work in tribute to the nation's fallen leader.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 04:07:03 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPW_E16fmwc[/youtube]
The local Dallas station WFAA-TV interruption by Program
Director Jay Watson (according to the station log) at 12:45

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 04:23:30 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CjWbemTNcw[/youtube]
Walter Cronkite Announces JFK's Death

"Camping Out"

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 12:42:39 pm »
Watching coverage of the assassination this week, I saw a clip that I'd never seen before - but couldn't find it to post - of David Brinkley saying (paraphrase) "Hard to believe a punk with a mail order rifle caused all this sorrow."

I also thought it was fascinating to see the difference in media coverage then and now; how they walked lho out among the reporters and let him speak to them, even that so many of the newsmen on tv were smoking during their coverage, how many changes have come about in those 50 years.
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 08:12:49 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/arts/television/as-the-world-turns-interrupted-by-kennedys-shooting.html?_r=0&pagewanted=all

Television

The Day the World Stopped Turning
‘As the World Turns’ Interrupted by Kennedy’s Shooting

By THOMAS VINCIGUERRA
Published: November 22, 2013

Clockwise from top left:
Helen Wagner and Santos Ortega in the episode of “As the World Turns” that was interrupted
by a CBS News Bulletin, as Walter Cronkite began reporting on Kennedy’s assassination. Cronkite’s
updates were followed by commercials, like one for Nescafé.

As usual, on that Friday afternoon, Mable Snodgrass, a 19-year-old first-time mother, was at home in Echols, Ky., watching “As the World Turns.” Ten minutes in, at about 12:40 p.m., the soapy drama was bubbling. Nancy Hughes, played by Helen Wagner, had just told Grandpa (Santos Ortega) that her son, Bob, had invited his ex-wife, the scheming Lisa, and their young son, Tom, to Thanksgiving dinner.

After his initial shock, Grandpa ventured, “That was real nice of the boy.”

“And I’ve thought about it,” Nancy said, “and I gave it a great deal of thought, Grandpa ——”

At that instant, Nancy and Grandpa were wiped off the screen, replaced by the words “CBS News Bulletin” slide and the urgent voice of Walter Cronkite.

“I was fixing to get angry because they were screwing up my show,” Ms. Snodgrass recalled. “And then I found out it was about the president.”

Americans of a certain age remember where they were when they learned of the shooting of John F. Kennedy on Nov. 22, 1963. But no group was united in quite the same way just then as those who were tuned to “As the World Turns.”

Fifty years ago, “A.T.W.T.,” as it came to be known, was not merely television’s most popular daytime drama. At the moment of the assassination, the slow-moving series about personal and professional goings-on in fictional Oakdale, Ill., was the only regular program being broadcast nationally by a major network — specifically, throughout the Eastern and Central time zones. In Washington, the NBC and ABC affiliates were scheduled to present “TV Beauty School” and “Divorce Court.” In Dallas, a discussion of winter coats with hidden zippers was the focus of “The Julie Benell Show,” a local effort by the ABC affiliate WFAA.

Today, the live telecast of “As the World Turns” No. 1,995 (there was no title) remains frozen in time as a last semblance of normalcy before the face of television changed permanently. The very ordinariness of Wagner’s scene — “my dubious claim to fame,” the actress once called it — underscores the day’s nightmarish events.

“Look at that conversation between Nancy and Grandpa,” said Lynn Liccardo, the author of the e-book “as the world stopped turning ...” “They’re dusting books. And then he gets a cup of coffee.”

Was that conversation between Nancy and Grandpa important? No, said Sam Ford, a great-nephew of Ms. Snodgrass’s and co-editor of “The Survival of Soap Opera: Transformations for a New Media Era.” “There’s rarely one scene in a soap opera that’s ever pivotal, because there is so much redundancy built in.”

An uninterrupted version of the episode is preserved at the Paley Center for Media, in New York and Los Angeles. In it, Nancy boldly predicts that Bob and Lisa will reunite.

But it is the fragmented version, available on YouTube, that has gone down in TV history. Among other things, it offers the bizarre sight of Cronkite’s dire updates being followed by cheery commercials for Nescafé instant coffee (opening, ominously, with a slowly swinging pendulum) and Friskies puppy food. In those first few frantic minutes, CBS programmers were scrambling. So were those on the soap opera set at the Hy Brown studios on West 26th Street in Manhattan.

Don Hastings, who played Bob Hughes, knew something was amiss as he prepared for a restaurant scene with Henderson Forsythe after the Nancy-Grandpa exchange.

Mr. Hastings, 79, recalled: “Phil Polansky, our cameraman, said, ‘Don’t tell the actors what? The president’s been shot?’ He had headphones on, and he was talking to the control room. We got our cue and we just kept going, because no one else knew what to do.” Mr. Hastings was unaware that the news was already blacking out the first half of his scene.

The show’s last act, with Eileen Fulton as Lisa Hughes tensely phoning her mother, Alma (Ethel Remey), about a deposit on an apartment, as well as her and Bob’s mutually lingering love, was pre-empted entirely. By then, the crew had heard about Dallas. Ms. Fulton hadn’t.

“I had a very emotional scene,” the actress, now 80, recalled. “When we finished, my cameraman, Joe Hallahan, had tears running down his face. I said, ‘I’m good, but I didn’t know I was that good.’ ”

When the show wrapped shortly before 2 p.m., “the studio went absolutely dark, which must have been some security thing,” Mr. Hastings said. “The monitors went out, and we had no communication with CBS except through a guard on the floor who had a radio.”

The soap’s scheduled episode was canceled on Monday, Nov. 25, amid CBS’s continuing news coverage. One line of that episode’s unused script holds special poignancy: “A dream can be aborted before it’s even born.”

Edward Trach, the supervising producer of the soap opera for the sponsor, Procter & Gamble, said, “When we were able to get back on the air, we tried to do so in a coherent and dramatically effective manner.”

But on that Monday afternoon, when the cast assembled to read through and time Tuesday’s segment, it was hard to focus. Mr. Hastings ducked repeatedly into the control room to watch the funeral cortege. “They kept coming to get me, because I was just destroyed at that point,” he said.

Rosemary Prinz, who played his sister, Penny, hoped for some on-air reference to the killing. But Irna Phillips, the show’s all-powerful creator, wanted no outside intrusion on the make-believe of Oakdale. “She was the meanest bitch on the planet, and you can quote me,” Ms. Prinz, now 82, said.

Ms. Prinz, who still wells up when recalling the assassination, eventually saw her chance during a scene with Mr. Ortega.

“I was supposed to go on about Tom and his father,” she recalled, “and I said instead: ‘Oh, Grandpa, here we are talking about little Tom. My God, after what the country has gone through, it seems so out of proportion. But, of course, we have to go on.’ Santos had very, very round eyes, which he always opened wide as Grandpa anyway, and he opened them even wider.”

An infuriated production team promptly descended on Ms. Prinz. She was unfazed.

“I said, ‘I just went blank and said the first think I could think of, and then I got back to the script.’ Everyone knew I was full of it. But I made the point.”

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 10:20:24 am »
John, thank you for this amazing coverage of this sad milestone in US history.  :-*
"chewing gum and duct tape"