Author Topic: Zero at the Bone by MadLori  (Read 220532 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Zero at the Bone by MadLori
« Reply #240 on: July 29, 2008, 02:05:37 pm »
:D
FYI, Lori posted a second One Shot continuing the Zero story!!
http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/97720.html

:D

SPOILERS

I thought this one-shot was particularly well done and it confirms my feeling that the sequel may be an even "darker" and more complex story than Zero - but on different levels and in different ways.  If that makes any sense.   :-\  In any event, great writing.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #241 on: August 04, 2008, 05:23:51 am »
SPOILERS

I thought this one-shot was particularly well done and it confirms my feeling that the sequel may be an even "darker" and more complex story than Zero - but on different levels and in different ways. 

I agree - the two one-shots have wetted my appetite for the sequel even more than Zero did on its own, if that is even possible.

Did anyone else think that Jack's resolute handling the muggers was a foreshadowing and trial run of the "Action Dentist" activity he'll have to engage in in the sequel proper, in order to help or protect D....?

I really don't know enough about the sequel's topic to be sure of anything, which is good of course - but it has me speculating nevertheless!  :)

I have such high expectations for that sequel, it's almost... worrying. Good thing that Lori seems to be able to handle the pressure of fans' eager anticipations! I know the sequel will be a long time coming, probably, but IMO it's one reason I can't quit BBM fanfiction although the really good offerings are getting a bit more scarce now - I have to keep at it till I've read that sequel!

Can'tWaitCan'tWaitCan'tWaitCan'tWaitCan'tWaitCan'tWaitCan'tWait OMG!  ;D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #242 on: August 05, 2008, 01:17:48 pm »
Did anyone else think that Jack's resolute handling the muggers was a foreshadowing and trial run of the "Action Dentist" activity he'll have to engage in in the sequel proper, in order to help or protect D....?

I really don't know enough about the sequel's topic to be sure of anything, which is good of course - but it has me speculating nevertheless!  :)

I'm not sure what to think, Mikaela.  It seemed to me that Jack's actions were a manifestation of his growing resentment and anger towards Ennis's long absences (and maybe toward Ennis himself at the same time) and his issues and insecurities with what he perceives to be his "role" in their relationship.  I guess they could also be foreshadowing to some "Action Dentist" activity - they're not mutually exclusive.  D's issues were laid out before us pretty clearly in Zero, so I guess I was thinking that the sequel was going to be more about Jack's journey and his issues - which he's kind of kept under wraps until now.  But, again, I'm sure the sequel will have many layers and plot-lines to it!  I'm just very bad about guessing specifics! 

I know Lori is going to write the entire sequel before posting it and I said I was going to try and wait until the entire story was posted before I read, but I can already feel my resolve slipping.  :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #243 on: December 05, 2008, 03:27:35 pm »
It appears that Lori probably won't be writing anything more in the "Zero" universe.  Here's what she posted at the Human Interest community:

http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/

As wonderful as they were, now I'm kind of wishing I hadn't read those "in-between" one-shots and that the epilogue didn't leave me feeling so unsettled ...  :-\   but it really was a terrific story.

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #244 on: December 08, 2008, 07:49:01 pm »
Exciting news for Lori about Zero:

Here's the beginning of what she posted at the Human Interest community:

Okay, folks.

*deep breath*

I can now tell you the real reason why I am not continuing writing in the Zero universe.

And that's because IT'S GOING TO BE PUBLISHED. Yeah, baby

and the link to the remainder of her post.

http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/99701.html

Congratulations to Lori. 

Marie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #245 on: December 09, 2008, 02:55:14 am »
Wow!

Thanks for posting that Marie.

Congratulations to Lori!!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #246 on: December 09, 2008, 08:58:01 am »
Way to go Lori! 

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #247 on: December 09, 2008, 08:59:47 am »
Congrats to Lori. Well deserved!

I don´t know how many times I´ve read Zero, but probably more times than I´d care to admitt ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #248 on: December 09, 2008, 11:05:33 am »
Exciting news for Lori about Zero:

Here's the beginning of what she posted at the Human Interest community:

Okay, folks.

*deep breath*

I can now tell you the real reason why I am not continuing writing in the Zero universe.

And that's because IT'S GOING TO BE PUBLISHED. Yeah, baby

and the link to the remainder of her post.

http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/99701.html

Congratulations to Lori. 

Marie

Wow!  This really is exciting.  I was pretty confused to hear that Lori was ceasing the Zero writing, since it seems like a story she was so committed to.  I'm really curious about the plans for publishing it.  Will she change the characters' names?  Will the "secret" of D's real name have to be changed?  And will Jack still be Jack?

Can't wait to learn more about these developments.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #249 on: December 09, 2008, 11:16:20 am »
... Will she change the characters' names?  Will the "secret" of D's real name have to be changed?  And will Jack still be Jack?

Can't wait to learn more about these developments.

Hi Amanda  :)

If you click on the link, Lori answers the question about the names at the end of her post:

Oh, and I know you'll want to know the new names. Happily, one of the benefits of this story is that D can still be D! That makes me really happy, because it'd just be weird to be reading about that character named R or J or something. His real name has been changed to Anson Dane. I considered keeping Jack's first name Jack, but decided against it, and just kept the first initial, so Dr. Jack Twist is now Dr. Josh Francisco.

Also, I popped in to give the link to yet another post about Zero.  Lori is giving notice that she will remove the original Zero in ONE WEEK (from 12/8).   So, anyone who would hasn't yet saved the story and would like to should start now!

http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/100033.html

Marie