Author Topic: 'Brokeback Mountain' Review: Operatic Cowboys in Love, Onstage  (Read 12530 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: 'Brokeback Mountain' Review: Operatic Cowboys in Love, Onstage
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 10:50:12 am »
Absolutely. Santa Fe has a reputation for new opera, and cutting edge productions of traditional operas. I've never been there, but I hear the outdoor opera house is just amazing. Plus they have an amazingly innovative marketing team which has been the envy of opera companies for years. They were the first opera company in the US to offer supertitles in Spanish (along with other premiums) to penetrate the large Latino market in their area...and it worked.

Ooops. My apologies, Milo. I forgot you would be able to confirm the prominence of the Santa Fe Opera, too. Meryl came first to mind, and I didn't stop to think further. Mea culpa.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 01:44:59 pm »
I hope they present it in San Francisco.  SF also has one of the best opera companies in the world.  And the beautiful city by the bay even held a "Brokeback Mountain Day" shortly after the movie aired.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 05:04:48 pm »
Ooops. My apologies, Milo. I forgot you would be able to confirm the prominence of the Santa Fe Opera, too. Meryl came first to mind, and I didn't stop to think further. Mea culpa.  :(

No worries.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline fritzkep

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 06:20:08 pm »
They probably still do. ...

New Mexico magazine, produced by the state highway department, routinely runs an article "One of the 50 is Missing" which quotes from other sources instances in which the author doesn't realize that New Mexico is a state. It goes back so far that the recurring feature was once called "One of the 48 is Missing"!  :D

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."