Author Topic: Philip Seymour Hoffman dead  (Read 26813 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman dead
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 03:13:57 pm »

Well, that's the NY Post for you.   :(

http://nypost.com/2014/02/02/philip-seymour-hoffman-found-dead-in-his-apartment/

Philip Seymour Hoffman found
dead with needle in arm: cops

By Larry Celona and Bruce Golding
February 2, 2014 | 1:28pm

Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead of an apparent drug overdose — in the bathroom with a hypodermic needle still in his arm — inside a Greenwich Village home on Sunday morning, cops said.

A personal assistant found Hoffman’s body in an apartment at 35 Bethune St. and called 911 around 11:30 a.m, sources said.

Cops are at the scene and are investigating, sources said.

In 2006, Hoffman publicly admitted that he nearly succumbed to substance abuse graduating from NYU’s drama school, but got sober in rehab.

“It was all that (drugs and alcohol), yeah. It was anything I could get my hands on…I liked it all,”  he told 60 Minutes as the time.

Last year, Hoffman reportedly checked himself into rehab again for ten days after relapsing in 2012.

TMZ said he began using prescription pills, then snorted heroin for about a week before realizing he needed help.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 03:23:27 pm »

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304626804579358943360702878

NEW YORK
Award-winning Actor
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Found Dead in Manhattan

The New York Police Department is investigating,
and the Office of the Medical Examiner

By PERVAIZ SHALLWANI
Updated Feb. 2, 2014 1:49 p.m. ET

Philip Seymour Hoffman, right, in a scene from 'The Master.' AP

Award-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead Sunday afternoon in his New York City apartment, a law-enforcement official said.

The New York Police Department is investigating, and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner is working to determine the exact cause of death. The official said Mr. Hoffman, 46 years old, was found dead at his apartment at 35 Bethune St. in the West Village neighborhood of Manhattan.

Mr. Hoffman won the Academy Award for Best Actor for the 2005 film, "Capote."

The actor was found in the bathroom of his fourth floor apartment in the Pickwick House around 11:15 a.m. by a screenwriter, who called 911, the official said.

The accomplished actor and director won the Academy Award for best actor for his role as famed author Truman Capote the 2005 film "Capote," and a strong following in New York's theater scene, starring in plays like 2012's "Death of a Salesman" and directing others, like 1999's "In Arabia, We'd All Be Kings." He was nominated for a Tony Award three times.

Mr. Hoffman's breakout role, however, was in 1997's "Boogie Nights." He also received accolades for his roles in high-profile films like 1998's "The Big Lebowski" and 1999's "Magnolia."

--Mara Gay contributed to this article

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 03:59:15 pm »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/philip-seymour-hoffman-found-dead-new-york-city-apartment-report-article-1.1599537

Philip Seymour Hoffman
dead at 46: Actor found in New York City apartment
with needle in his arm after using heroin, sources said

The noted actor and father of three won the Oscar for Best Actor
for the 2005 film 'Capote.' He also starred in movies such as
'The Hunger Games,' 'The Master,' 'Charlie Wilson's War,'
'Moneyball,' ''Doubt,' 'The Savages' and 'Almost Famous.'

BY TINA MOORE / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
PUBLISHED: SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2014, 1:33 PM
UPDATED: SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2014, 2:19 PM

Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead Sunday in his New York apartment.

Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead Sunday of an apparent heroin overdose in a Manhattan apartment, sources said.

Police said they were investigating a death at the home on Bethune St. They were alerted to the death around 11:15 a.m.

Cast member Philip Seymour Hoffman poses at the premiere of the film "A Most Wanted Man"
during the 2014 Sundance Film Festival, on Jan. 19 in Park City, Utah.

A source said Hoffman, a father of three, was found alone with a needle in his arm in the bathroom of the apartment. Sources said the actor used heroin.

This photo provided by the Sundance Institute shows Philip Seymour Hoffman, right, and Rachel McAdams,
front, in a scene from the film, "A Most Wanted Man," which premiered at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival.

Hoffman, was born in Fairport N.Y. a suburb of Rochester N.Y. suburb and graduated the New York University's Tisch School of the Arts with a B.F.A. degree in Drama in 1989, according to his IMDB page.

Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman poses with the Oscar he won for best actor for his work in "Capote"
at the 78th Academy Awards Sunday, March 5, 2006, in Los Angeles.

Hoffman was planning to direct "Ezekiel Moss" – a ghost story that was set to star Amy Adams and Jake  Gyllenhaal.

Hoffman recently appeared at the Sundance Film Festival for the premiere of his movie  'God's Pocket' which also stars John Turturro and Christina Hendricks.

Hoffman is also set to star in "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2” which is currently filming.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 04:12:33 pm »

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/wsj-report-philip-seymour-hoffman-found-dead-in-new-york-1201082934/

Philip Seymour Hoffman
Found Dead in New York

By Stuart Oldham
Editor, Variety.com
@s_oldham
FEBRUARY 2, 2014 | 10:30AM PT

Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his New York apartment on Sunday.

He was 46.

Law enforcement officials said Hoffman died at his apartment in the West Village neighborhood of Manhattan. No cause of death has been determined but officials suspect the actor may have overdosed on drugs.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the actor was found in his bathroom around 11:15 a.m. by a screenwriter, who called 911, the official said.

Hoffman, who won the best actor Oscar for “Capote” in 2005, most recently appeared at the Sundance Film Festival to promote his new films “God’s Pocket” and Anton Corbin’s “A Most Wanted Man.”

He was also shooting the “Hunger Games” follow-ups “Mockingjay Part 1″ and “Part 2″ in Atlanta.

Last year, the actor completed a 10-day substance abuse program for heroin. The actor later revealed that he had been addicted to the drug when he was younger but had been clean for over 20 years.

Hoffman broke through in 1997′s “Boogie Nights” and made an impression in indie and major studio roles such as Todd Solondz’s “Happiness,” “The Talented Mr. Ripley,” Paul Thomas Anderson’s “Magnolia,” “Almost Famous” and “State and Main.” In addition to supporting actor nominations for “The Master,” “Doubt” and “Charlie Wilson’s War,” he received two Tony nominations for his work on the stage in “True West” and “Long Day’s Journey Into Night.”

Born in the Rochester, N.Y. suburb of Fairport, he graduated with a drama degree from NYU and made his film debut in “Triple Bogey on a Par Five Hole,” followed by a role in “My New Gun.”

In studio features, he had roles in “Red Dragon,” “Cold Mountain” and “Mission Impossible III.”

Last year, the actor completed a stint in rehab for snorting heroin.

More to come…

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 04:42:09 pm »
Hoffman broke through in 1997′s “Boogie Nights” and made an impression in indie and major studio roles such as Todd Solondz’s “Happiness,” “The Talented Mr. Ripley,” Paul Thomas Anderson’s “Magnolia,” “Almost Famous” and “State and Main.” In addition to supporting actor nominations for “The Master,” “Doubt” and “Charlie Wilson’s War,” he received two Tony nominations for his work on the stage in “True West” and “Long Day’s Journey Into Night.”

Born in the Rochester, N.Y. suburb of Fairport, he graduated with a drama degree from NYU and made his film debut in “Triple Bogey on a Par Five Hole,” followed by a role in “My New Gun.”

In studio features, he had roles in “Red Dragon,” “Cold Mountain” and “Mission Impossible III.”

He also had a supporting role in Twister (1996).

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 05:54:40 pm »

Hard to believe that, not too far away, Heath died 6 years and 11 days ago--

Shocking, how does the time go--

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 07:30:39 pm »

Hard to believe that, not too far away, Heath died 6 years and 11 days ago--

Shocking, how does the time go--

Agreed.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 08:29:36 pm »
I was in one of the crowd scenes in "Moneyball."  I saw Mr. Hoffman on the field of the Oracle Coliseum.  Even though he's not even 6 feet tall, he seemed larger than life with his blond hair and ruddy complexion.  RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 08:58:17 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/movies/philip-seymour-hoffman-actor-dies-at-46.html?hp&_r=0

MOVIES
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Actor, Dies at 46
By BRUCE WEBER and J. DAVID GOODMAN
FEB. 2, 2014

Philip Seymour Hoffman at the Venice Film Festival in 2012.

Philip Seymour Hoffman, perhaps the most ambitious and widely admired American actor of his generation, who gave three-dimensional nuance to a wide range of sidekicks, villains and leading men on screen and embraced some of the theater’s most burdensome roles on Broadway, died Sunday at an apartment in Greenwich Village. He was 46.

The death, apparently from a drug overdose, was confirmed by the police. Mr. Hoffman was found in the apartment by a friend, David Bar Katz, who became concerned after being unable to reach him.

Investigators found a syringe in his left forearm, at least two plastic envelopes with what appeared to be heroin near where his body was found in a bathroom, and five empty plastic envelopes in a trash bin, a law-enforcement official said.

Mr. Hoffman was long known to struggle with addiction. In 2006, he said in an interview with “60 Minutes” that he had given up drugs and alcohol many years earlier, when he was 22. But last year, he checked into a rehabilitation program for about 10 days after a reliance on prescription pills resulted in his briefly turning again to heroin.

“I saw him last week, and he was clean and sober, his old self,” said Mr. Katz, a playwright, who said he called 911 after finding Mr. Hoffman. “I really thought this chapter was over.”

On Sunday afternoon, Mr. Hoffman’s family released a statement saying: “We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone. This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers.”

As news of Mr. Hoffman’s death spread, fellow actors as well as fans took to Twitter to express their admiration for his acting and grief over his death. Ellen DeGeneres, who will host the Oscars ceremony in March over which Mr. Hoffman’s death is likely to cast a pall, posted: “Philip Seymour Hoffman was a brilliant, talented man. The news this morning is shocking and sad. My heart goes out to his loved ones.”

Mr. Hoffman won an Academy Award in 2006 for best actor for his role in the film “Capote,” in which he portrayed the author Truman Capote as Mr. Capote researched the book “In Cold Blood.”

Known for his scene-stealing supporting roles, Mr. Hoffman was nominated for the Academy Award for best supporting actor three times: for the 2012 film “The Master,” the 2008 film “Doubt,” and the 2007 film “Charlie Wilson’s War.” He also recently had a role in the hugely popular “The Hunger Games” films.

Mr. Hoffman had been acting in films for the last two decades, often transforming physically for each new role. He was prolific as well, sometimes filming several movies in a year and appearing in plays on Broadway.

In 2012, he played Willy Loman in Arthur Miller’s “Death of a Salesman” on Broadway, a performance that earned him his third Tony Award nomination. He was also nominated for “True West” in 2000 and “Long Day’s Journey Into Night” in 2003.

“I try to live my life in such a way that I don’t have profound regrets,” Mr. Hoffman told The New York Times in 2008. “That’s probably why I work so much. I don’t want to feel I missed something important.”

Mr. Hoffman had three young children, a son and two daughters, with his partner, Mimi O’Donnell, a costume designer and the artistic director of the Labyrinth Theater Company in New York. The family lived in an apartment on Jane Street, neighbors said, not far from the building on Bethune Street, where his body was found.

In his acceptance speech at the Academy Awards in 2006, Mr. Hoffman thanked many people, but in particular his mother, Marilyn O’Connor, who attended. He thanked her for raising him and his three siblings on her own and for taking him to see his first play.

“Be proud, Mom, ‘cause I’m proud of you, and we’re here tonight, and it’s so good,” he said with a smile.

On Sunday afternoon outside the Bethune Street building, more than 100 people had gathered to mourn the actor’s death.

“He’s a local. He’s a fixture in this neighborhood,” said Christian McCulloch, 39, who said that he lives nearby. “You see him with his kids in the coffee shops. He is so sweet. It’s desperately sad.”

Down the street at the Labyrinth Theater Company, where Mr. Hoffman was a member since 1995, friends gathered on Sunday to remember him. David Deblinger, an actor and a member of the company, said Mr. Hoffman often came to the theater with his children in tow.

“He helped produce theater, and acted, and sold tickets and helped clean up,” Mr. Deblinger, 48, said. “We are here to remember him. This is a time to sit Shiva,” he said, referring to the Jewish mourning ritual.

Mr. Hoffman had recently been cast in a new television show on Showtime called “Happyish.” The network released a statement on Sunday calling him “one of our generation’s finest and most brilliant actors.”

“He was also a gifted comedic talent,” the statement said. “It was a great privilege and pleasure to work with him and we are all absolutely devastated by this sudden loss. Our thoughts go out to his family at this very difficult time.”

The last time Mr. Katz spoke to Mr. Hoffman was around 9 p.m. on Saturday, the law-enforcement official said. When the actor did not show up at 9 a.m. on Sunday for an expected visit with Ms. O’Donnell and their children, she called Mr. Katz, who went to the fourth-floor apartment on Bethune Street and found it double-locked, the official said. Mr. Katz phoned an assistant to Mr. Hoffman who had a set of keys, and they entered the apartment together around 11:30 a.m.

The plastic envelopes near Mr. Hoffman’s body that were believed to be heroin were stamped with two drug brands: one had purple letters spelling the words Ace of Spades and the other had a red icon of the ace of hearts, according to the law-enforcement official.

Narcotics detectives from the New York Police Department were investigating whether the brands had any significance or had surfaced in any other overdose cases. Investigators also planned to test the substances inside to determine if they had been tainted in anyway, though there was no initial indication that they had been.

The city medical examiner will also conduct tests to determine a cause of death. About 6:40 p.m., Mr. Hoffman’s body was taken from the apartment as crime scene investigators combed through the area.

Annie Correal, Emma G. Fitzsimmons and Dave Itzkoff contributed reporting.

"Camping Out"