Author Topic: Free Fall - Freier Fall  (Read 1101021 times)

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Free Fall - Freier Fall
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2014, 07:55:04 pm »
The summary above is from a German viewer, not me, and I agree it is a good one.

I have a problem with the English subtitles, too.  I even put the English into google translate, and some of the sentences don’t sound anything like what the actors are saying, so I know it’s not exact.  As I said before, the one that bothers me most is in the car, when Kay says something as Marc is leaving, the subtitles say “that was really nice”, but I think that’s incorrect.

Having to read and watch is another reason I’ve seen it so many times.  Now I can pretty much just watch the actors faces, and take in the whole scene, since I know the dialogue.  I like the way the director shot the interiors dark and very close in, confining - suffocating, as Marc himself says in one scene.  Hanno Koffler is so good in that scene; he can’t even put his feelings into words, (although maybe if he wasn’t talking to his girlfriend it would be easier   :)).  But it’s heartbreaking.

There is so little dialogue between the two men that I find myself re-watching scenes where they talk to each other.  When Kay follows him in the car and they have the scene on the side of the road.  It’s the most passion Marc shows, apart from their intimate moments; I think it’s very good, and it’s showing another time where he can’t breathe, he can barely catch his breath as he tries to do and say what he thinks he should be doing – pushing Kay away - but not what he wants to do.  It matches the passion he shows at Kay’s apartment, when they have the argument.

And yes, the beginning and ending bookends – brilliant on Lacant’s part, I think.  Marc has finally learned to breathe evenly, accept things that, until Kay, seemed impossible to accept.  I also bought and downloaded the soundtrack, and the last track is titled “Back on the Track”, losing the freedom of the forest that he had with Kay.

I read another review today (yes, I clearly have too much free time on my hands  :)) about symbolism of colors used, and a few other things, I’ll leave that for another post.

I think the ending, while not happy, is at least a little hopeful. 

"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2014, 10:03:49 am »
Hi, i'm from the Netherlands and  I speak a little english and a little german so maybe I can help with the subs. In the car Kay said to Marc that it was beautiful (the german word schön means beautifull).

Offline morrobay

« Reply #152 on: April 28, 2014, 10:30:37 am »
Hi Mariska,
Thank you so much for posting about this!  And I'm so glad to know exactly what he said: It was beautiful.

Did you like the movie?

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2014, 04:47:46 pm »
I thought the movie was so great. To be honest, I watched it because I like Max Riemelt so much  and I really did not expect this film would have such an impact on me. I watched it several times now and I'm still thinking about it.
Some of my thoughts (and excuse my bad English please)
I regret that many people seem to think that this movie is only interesting for gay people.  What happens to Marc  happens all the time to straight people. I mean, being settled,  children etc. and then suddenly falling in love with someone else. Of course the fact that Kay is a man makes it even more confusing, but it’s the same struggle about making choices.
It’s a beautiful but realistic story and interesting to watch for everybody.
I found the relationship between Marc and Kay most of the time so beautiful and real and touching. So much chemistry between them.  But I wonder if Marc really loved Kay. Why did he hit him? And why did he leave Kay behind when he was beaten up, without words, without a hugh or kiss. Just gave his key back and left. That was really so heartbreaking.
I know a lot of people did not like the end. I didn’t like it either. It is a realistic movie so there has to be a realistic end. Marc has to work things out first. But the separation with Kay was too fast, too hard and too sudden. A little bit of hope for the future would have been nice.
If there will be a freier fall 2 (I hope so I hope so),  I would like to know what Marc is going to do. Can he accept the way it ended with Kay? Will he try to find him? To find out what his feelings are, or maybe just to close things  up decently? Was Kay just an eye opener for Marc to show him that he was not really happy in his life or is he the love of his life?

Offline morrobay

« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2014, 05:55:33 pm »
Great to read your thoughts about the movie, I loved it, as you can tell from all my posts   :)  . And Max Riemelt is not only stunning to look at, but an exceptional actor.  I’ve looked up some info about him online, he’s been acting for more than 15 years, a long time.  He got excellent reviews for Napola and I would like to see it, but I’m afraid I couldn’t take the physical or emotional violence.

Marc & Kay’s relationship is beautiful, and the actors were totally committed to their roles and held nothing back.  The chemistry between them is unbelievable, as you said.  I have so many favorite scenes; early in the film, when Marc is smoking in the parking lot and Kay comes up to him, taking a cigarette, grabbing his hand for a light - so confident.  I love the looks between them.  And the kiss in the hospital!  Schön   :)

But you bring up some good questions about Marc.  When he hit him, I think he was just so confused about the whole thing; he’s lashing out because he doesn’t know what else to do, he can’t admit his own feelings to himself.  He never tells Kay he loves him, in fact I would wish for a little more dialogue between them.  I believe he loves Kay, but there is too much going on for him to be able to put his feelings into words, I think.  His whole relationship with Bettina, a new baby, his parents and co-workers finding out – he is overwhelmed.

And yes, it was heartbreaking when he left Kay without a touch or a word.  You could see the pain in his face as he waits for the elevator, but I want to scream at him to go back.  Maybe I’ve watched this a few too many times!
One of the great things about the script and the acting by Hanno Koffler is that even though he acts like a jerk sometimes, you still care about him, and can understand why he’s acting like a jerk.

I didn’t mind the ending, I thought there was hope for the future, and Marc certainly learned a lot about himself, and seemed to be able to face what was once utterly unthinkable to him.  And it certainly leaves it open to a sequel, which would be fantastic.  I want to know the answers to all the questions you stated.

Did you also like Brokeback Mountain?  I’m also wondering how you found this forum, was it Brokeback or Free Fall?

I’m really happy that you posted, your English is excellent, I hope you continue to post here, and on the other threads.

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2014, 07:34:24 pm »
I googled freier fall (i`m a little obsessed too) and found this forum. You wrote that you want to discuss this movie. Well, so do I, it`s just that writing in English is a little difficult for me because I can`t express myself the way I want to. I tried google translator but that`sreally a mess  :o
About Max: you`re totally right. He is a great actor and really gorgeous. I saw Napola twice. I thougt it is a very good movie and Max acting is great. There are indeed some heavy moments in this movie, but it`s worthwile (?) watching. I must say, Max looks very young in the movie and I like him more as he is now. More mature, more sexy. I also saw die Welle and a recent movie Heiter bis Wolkig. This was a really great movie and shows a different side of max. And he looked really gorgeous in this film. Oke, I could talk all day about Max but enough now.

I saw brokeback mountain too and I think it is a great movie with a very emotional ending. I also like Jake and Heath a lot but i did not see the chemistry Marc and Kay had. And that makes free fall my favorite.

I have read a lot of background info about freier fall and Max (Max again  ::) and Hanno and interviews and stuff. I think it is really beautifull that they are such close friends in real life. Both say that they did not want to do this movie with someone else because they have a chemistry in real life (not sexual I guess because they both are straight). Don`t you think that`s cute? I think that`s why they are so good in this movie,  their great acting skills but also their real friendship.

I agree with you about Marc being upset and confused. And you`re right, even though he is not always nice to Kay, it`s understandable and I could feel his emotions, it is just so sad for Kay. Anyway, both are great actors and very handsome.

Well, I come back tomorrow. Good night for now.

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2014, 08:27:13 pm »
Just one more thing. You said you would have liked some more dialogue between the guys. So did I but on the other hand: it was all the non verbal that made it so intense. The sexual tension, the looks at each other, the expression on their faces. And their love scenes, growing from sexual to real love (I know I don,t say this right but I hope you understand what I mean).
Without words telling a beautifull love story. Again, great actors both of them.
I think you are right about Marc and that he did love Kay. I remember now the way he looked at him.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2014, 08:55:36 pm »
Now that I think about it, you're so right about less dialogue making it more intense, and I understand exactly what you're saying: "without words, telling a beautiful love story" - yes. 

I have read a lot of the reviews of the movie, I had to use google translate for the German ones, and one of them said that every time one of them took a drag on a cigarette you just knew he was thinking about the other, and it's so true. 

I may give Napola a try; I knew Max was much younger then, and he has only gotten better with age!

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2014, 07:59:47 am »
Nice to see you both discussing this movie,  and I"m glad you both liked it.

Welcome Mariska!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline morrobay

« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2014, 10:27:26 am »
I googled freier fall (i`m a little obsessed too) and found this forum.

Glad I'm not the only one who's obsessed!  It's easy to lose yourself in a movie as well-made and well acted as this one.

You wrote that you want to discuss this movie. Well, so do I, it`s just that writing in English is a little difficult for me because I can`t express myself the way I want to. I tried google translator but that`sreally a mess  :o

Your express yourself very well, I understand all the feelings your write about.  and yes, google translate is not so good, but at least I can read and understand a little of the written reviews from the German press, so that's good.

About Max: you`re totally right. He is a great actor and really gorgeous. I saw Napola twice. I thougt it is a very good movie and Max acting is great. There are indeed some heavy moments in this movie, but it`s worthwile (?) watching. I must say, Max looks very young in the movie and I like him more as he is now. More mature, more sexy. I also saw die Welle and a recent movie Heiter bis Wolkig. This was a really great movie and shows a different side of max. And he looked really gorgeous in this film. Oke, I could talk all day about Max but enough now.

LOL about talking about Max all day!  I understand that!  I wish more of his movies had English subtitles, I would like to see Heiter bis Wolkig.  I read a few reviews and saw pictures at the premiere, looks interesting.

I saw brokeback mountain too and I think it is a great movie with a very emotional ending. I also like Jake and Heath a lot but i did not see the chemistry Marc and Kay had. And that makes free fall my favorite.

Very interesting that you found more chemistry between Marc & Kay - and I think you may be right.  I think some of it has to do with the time and place.  And there is so much more physical contact between them than there is in Brokeback.  We actually get to see the relationship evolve and get stronger for a while, but, like Brokeback, "society" rules.

I have read a lot of background info about freier fall and Max (Max again  ::) and Hanno and interviews and stuff. I think it is really beautifull that they are such close friends in real life. Both say that they did not want to do this movie with someone else because they have a chemistry in real life (not sexual I guess because they both are straight). Don`t you think that`s cute? I think that`s why they are so good in this movie,  their great acting skills but also their real friendship.

Yes, I think it's wonderful that they have such a close, personal friendship that enables them to give so much to the film.  It can't be easy to do something like that; even in this "day and age" it's still difficult to portray such a fierce sexual love as they did - especially being straight.

I agree with you about Marc being upset and confused. And you`re right, even though he is not always nice to Kay, it`s understandable and I could feel his emotions, it is just so sad for Kay. Anyway, both are great actors and very handsome.

Yes, it's very sad for Kay.  He is so open and ready to give so much, but Marc is just not ready yet.

Well, I come back tomorrow. Good night for now.

I look forward to many more discussions about the movie and the actors, thank you.