Author Topic: Free Fall - Freier Fall  (Read 1101157 times)

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
Re: Free Fall - Freier Fall
« Reply #180 on: April 30, 2014, 11:26:42 am »
 Hi everyone,

if you interested in seeing the movie this link can give you an option. Search for Free Fall, you can see the movie with subtitle.

http://www.primewire.ag/

Offline morrobay

« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2014, 01:41:34 pm »
Thank you, Sophia.  I haven't tried the link, but I hope people will use it to see the movie.

On another subject, we may have to start a "German as a second language" thread!  I was looking at German for Dummies online - how many words are there for "the" anyway?   ;D  So far I've found das, der and die, and don't know when it's right to use which one.  And just learning to speak isn't enough, it's knowing what someone is saying to you that is the harder part, I think.

das Brot
der Aufschnitt
die Cerealien

And all nouns are capitalized?  Didn't know that.  I also can't follow the sentence structure, the same words are in different formation than in an English sentence.  And I thought English was hard   :)
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline morrobay

« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2014, 02:01:07 pm »
I just googled "how long does it take to learn German", and found lots of funny and interesting comments, these from different people stood out:

Mark Twain said "Life is too short to learn German".

"It took me roughly four to six years. I've been here 29 years and still don't get the der, die and das."

"I married a German and moved here 11 years ago (okay, we did spend five of those years in the US) and I still can't keep up with Germans in conversation. Part of it may be that I've had to learn German and Bavarian at the same time, but still, the word order and the du/Sie thing do my head in. And really, how many words for "the" does any language need?"

"I really think there are as many rules as exceptions in the German grammar. I think learning German for four months required more brain power that getting my engineering degree. "

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2014, 02:19:34 pm »
Hi Butlers Fantasy (I will call you BM oke),

Learning the German language is difficult. At school everybody hated it. The language is schön but the grammar is really terrible to learn.

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2014, 02:27:27 pm »
Hi Penthesilea, thank you very much  :).
Are you planning to watch freier fall?

So you are German. Then you might be the Max Riemelt expert.
Do you know if he really is a celebrity in Germany?

Offline brianr

« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2014, 03:10:34 pm »
Thank you, Sophia.  I haven't tried the link, but I hope people will use it to see the movie.

On another subject, we may have to start a "German as a second language" thread!  I was looking at German for Dummies online - how many words are there for "the" anyway?   ;D  So far I've found das, der and die, and don't know when it's right to use which one.  And just learning to speak isn't enough, it's knowing what someone is saying to you that is the harder part, I think.

das Brot
der Aufschnitt
die Cerealien

And all nouns are capitalized?  Didn't know that.  I also can't follow the sentence structure, the same words are in different formation than in an English sentence.  And I thought English was hard   :)

I love German. I learnt it for 4 years at High School then took it in my first year at University. Unfortunately I dropped it after 1 term as I had too heavy a load. I then failed French so decided not to be a language teacher  ???  Instead I taught Geography and Economics and that was all 50 years ago. I can read French better but my accent is terrible and I find German announcements on trains easier to follow.
Actually once you learn it, German sentence structure is more regular than English. English always has so many exceptions to the rule. For us native speakers we do not notice.  In German, the main verb is always second but any other verbs are at the end of the sentence. It is best to learn der/die/das along with the word. The strange thing is that girl (Mädchen) is das or neuter but that is because all nouns with "little" chen or lein attached are neuter.
French structure is more like English so it is easier to translate as you go.
Anyway I had better shut up before I make a fool of myself with native German speakers. ;D

Offline morrobay

« Reply #186 on: April 30, 2014, 03:37:34 pm »
I showed Rottweilers in conformation and obedience shows in the 1980s with my husband (although everyone said the Germans never let the really great Rotts outside of Germany).  Some people we knew used German when obedience training their Rotts, but I never got past Fuß and Schutzhund  ;)

This is an interesting site (link below), but the videos are 15 minutes to watch - a Chinese-American married a German girl and was determined to speak German so he could talk to his in-laws.  It's a very cute story, and after 3 months, he taped a 20 minute conversation with his FIL, not perfect, but pretty damn good.

"Until Julia, my father-in-law (Papa), and I went on an epic 8-day, 96-mile hike, climbing 9,186 feet through the Austrian Alps (at right).
Since Papa cannot speak a word of English, Julia was doing all the translation during the entire hiking trip. I just thought that it was not very cool on my part.
Even though Papa took me to a torture museum the first time I met him 8 years ago, he had accepted me, a Chinese American, into his traditional Austrian family with open arms.
So by the end of our hiking trip, I decided that it was finally time for me to learn German.
After I came home from the trip, I started doing research on what is the best and fastest way to learn a new language."

http://hackthesystem.com/blog/how-to-learn-a-language-5-hacks-to-learning-german-in-3-months/

Offline morrobay

« Reply #187 on: April 30, 2014, 07:54:32 pm »

Hi Mariska,

can you please help me with subtitles again?

Right before this scene where Kay comes up after Marc in his car and they argue on the side of the road.  Kay tells Marc that he should just admit to being gay.

But then I’ve seen 2 different subtitles of what Kay says to Marc, right before he hits Kay.

Marc, it isn’t easy for me...
Marc, you wouldn’t....

What does he really say to Marc?

thanks for your help

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #188 on: April 30, 2014, 08:27:44 pm »
Hi, I had to watch that scene again because I couldn't remember that Kay said anything. But he did.In English itwould be like: for me it is not.........too. I think he wanted to say easy but he could not finish the sentence. The word easy is in german the last word of that sentence. Literally translated he said: for me it is also not.........and then marc hits him  :'(

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #189 on: April 30, 2014, 08:36:40 pm »
Can you image? I saw that movie at least ten times but I never noticed that kay said something.