Author Topic: Free Fall - Freier Fall  (Read 1100978 times)

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Free Fall - Freier Fall
« Reply #400 on: May 14, 2014, 05:36:39 pm »
Why not? Marc is separated from Bettina en a new love/relationship doesn't mean he can't take responsibility for his child. Assumed that Kay would have stayed, why do you think the child would hold Marc back from a relationshilp with Kay?
The assumption is IF Kay stayed. He did not and I do not think he intended to as he already had asked Marc about leaving.
Trying to be a parent if one is not there daily is hard damn hard and from Marc's sense of responsibility I do not feel he could have left locally. V
How do you hide when you are running from yourself?

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #401 on: May 14, 2014, 05:43:45 pm »
Yeah, Ennis would never be able to get past his fear.  

That's another big difference between the two movies: at least Marc was able to face up to the fact that he loved Kay        ......  Ennis would carry his secret of his love for Jack to his grave.  That's a helluva lot to keep inside.
So Ennis going to Jack's home .....didn't tell Jsck's mom ?  She knew his and Jsck's story and accepted it. Marc's mother had a visceral reaction followed by direct confrontation  with Kay.  V

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #402 on: May 14, 2014, 05:45:41 pm »
Please explain I do not understand your meaning. V

Sorry I didn't explain my opinion. But as I wrote to Nancy, sometimes it's hard difficult for me (because of my lack of English).
That's why I copy Nancy's reaction, that's my opinion too.

""Yeah, Ennis would never be able to get past his fear.  

That's another big difference between the two movies: at least Marc was able to face up to the fact that he loved Kay - even though he denies to the end being gay, he made a huge step by admitting to Gregor & Bettina that he had been with Kay (even though he reduced it to "an affair").  Ennis would carry his secret of his love for Jack to his grave.".

I also think Ennis would never be able to get past his fear (homophobia). I remember the scene when he was a little boy when his father showed him what happened to boys loving other boys.

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #403 on: May 14, 2014, 05:49:18 pm »
I agree with the "no-win" statement, everyone lost what they thought they had.  

But none of them will stay in that static state.  Most certainly Marc, but even Bettina and his parents, will come to accept what has happened and move on.
Yes hence my comment about Marc realizing he has 'fallen' and now is trying to recover himself. I'm insure how to convey this better. The ending has meanings on several levels. Just like the parting 'window' framing the golden fields of wheat in Brokeback. V

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #404 on: May 14, 2014, 05:51:13 pm »
I know it's just a publicity shot for a magazine, but I love this of the two of them
I love this shot. Thanks for sharing it. Speaks well of both.  V

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #405 on: May 14, 2014, 05:57:13 pm »
So Ennis going to Jack's home .....didn't tell Jsck's mom ?  She knew his and Jsck's story and accepted it. Marc's mother had a visceral reaction followed by direct confrontation  with Kay.  V

Yes, of course you're right, it was just on a much more private level.  He indicated to Jack's mother, but he could never come out and say he'd been with Jack, as Marc did w/Gregor & Bettina.  Different place and time.......and personality.

"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #406 on: May 14, 2014, 05:57:21 pm »
The assumption is IF Kay stayed. He did not and I do not think he intended to as he already had asked Marc about leaving.
Trying to be a parent if one is not there daily is hard damn hard and from Marc's sense of responsibility I do not feel he could have left locally. V

I'm divorced (kids living with me), so I know
But even then it's not unthinkable that Kay would turn back if Marc asked him too.

Kay asked Marc about leaving at the wrong moment. And when Marc gave the key back, Kay gave up and left.
But I'm a romantic soul and I believe in second chances.

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #407 on: May 14, 2014, 06:03:55 pm »
Yes hence my comment about Marc realizing he has 'fallen' and now is trying to recover himself. I'm insure how to convey this better. The ending has meanings on several levels. Just like the parting 'window' framing the golden fields of wheat in Brokeback. V

Don't the two endings seem directly opposite? 

Ennis trapped inside that trailer with a view to nowhere, the mountain gone, all is flat, his love inside the closet. 

Marc out in the open, pulling away from the others, leaving them behind, stronger than before Kay.  IDK, just my thoughts.
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #408 on: May 14, 2014, 06:04:59 pm »

I know a lot of divorced couples and, how sad it is, there are not much divorced daddies seing their children every day. In the best case it's half of the time but mostly it's one weekend in two weeks.

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #409 on: May 14, 2014, 06:07:12 pm »
Don't the two endings seem directly opposite? 

Ennis trapped inside that trailer with a view to nowhere, the mountain gone, all is flat, his love inside the closet. 

Marc out in the open, pulling away from the others, leaving them behind, stronger than before Kay.  IDK, just my thoughts.

And mine. But again, open for interpretation.
goodnight  :)