Author Topic: Free Fall - Freier Fall  (Read 1100948 times)

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Free Fall - Freier Fall
« Reply #1150 on: May 24, 2015, 10:07:49 am »

I really didn't mean to be offensive, that's why I said I had mixed feelings.

I think we're getting mixed up here.  I didn't say or mean that you were offensive. 

Rather, I thought it funny (actually I was more confused) that my statement that the film be made in English seemed to offend you and Lea.
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline Lea

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1151 on: May 24, 2015, 10:59:03 am »
What I thought was funny was that my sarcastic comment to make the film in English was taken as an offensive remark - and I just wondered why.

Honestly, like Mariska I wasn't sure how your comment was meant.

No, I didn't see 1000 Oceans, is it good?

Max is the son of the owner of a car dealership. He has just finished his apprenticeship and it's planned that he runs the business together with his father now. On this occasion there is little reception in the company. However, somehow Max is not the kind of guy who really fits in this position (he just accepts his fate). Then his best friend shows up and talks him into a spontaneous last holiday before life starts to get serious.
And from there on there are several loose ends and the plot doesn't seem to be logical anymore. The film is a bit oppressive and as if you swim in turbid water. But in the end everything gets cleared up. It's not a funny film. But like Free Fall it made me think for a while.
I don't think I would watch it as often as Free Fall but in my opinion it is worth to watch it.

I agree, Kay is ambitious and someone who tries to achieve his goals. But is it possible that he literally infiltrated the system? He broke the rules all the time, didn't show up for class etc. He showed resistance to the system. Would he act this way if he loved being a police officer?

Maybe he doesn't like the system but on the other hand he has a sense of justice. And he is an athletic guy. I don't know but I don't see him in a 9 to 5 job in an office. Therefore being a police officer is maybe kind of a compromise for him. He likes what he's doing and at the same time he struggles with the general framework. That's also why I could imagine that he left the police after Marc left him but keeps working in the same sector.
The incident with Limpinski could also cause problems for Kay when he applies for a new unit. I guess it is noted in his personnel file and furthermore it is also possible that the old and new colleagues know each other (i.e. from vocational trainings). So he would always face a tough position. He might have thought that it is better to leave now than to wait that things maybe get even worse and leave then.
He wants to put the past behind him - in all respects.
For Marc it would mean that he has to make an effort to find Kay after he is clear on his feelings. And not to be able to find him immediately could reinforce Marcs feelings.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #1152 on: May 24, 2015, 11:03:52 am »
Honestly, like Mariska I wasn't sure how your comment was meant.

I still don't understand the controversy about what I said.  Can you explain? 

Offline Lea

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1153 on: May 24, 2015, 11:15:19 am »
Hm, well it sounded a bit like "The German film is good but it would be better if it was in English" (because German/the German version isn't good enough).
And I simply wasn't sure if you indeed meant it this way or if it was just a joke/sarcasm or whatever. I sat there and was between laughing and simply being surprised and a bit speechlessness.

But for me it's ok now  :)  Hope you see it the same way  :)

Offline Lea

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1154 on: May 24, 2015, 12:52:04 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.maxriemelt.com/wp-content/gallery/max-riemelt/um10-riemelt-1401.jpg[/youtube]

Offline morrobay

« Reply #1155 on: May 24, 2015, 01:02:40 pm »
Hm, well it sounded a bit like "The German film is good but it would be better if it was in English" (because German/the German version isn't good enough).
And I simply wasn't sure if you indeed meant it this way or if it was just a joke/sarcasm or whatever. I sat there and was between laughing and simply being surprised and a bit speechlessness.

But for me it's ok now  :)  Hope you see it the same way  :)

I started this thread and wrote posts about this movie, read every review in English and google-translated German, posted pictures and reviews, praised the writing, acting and directing, analyzed every scene and word and action between the leads for weeks before there was any response at all.  Why would I suddenly think it wasn't good, or would be better some other way?? 

Honestly, to have a casual sentence misconstrued and my motives questioned on page 115, after saying nothing but good about it for 18 months...I don't understand that at all.

Offline Lea

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1156 on: May 24, 2015, 01:55:12 pm »
Butlers, I don’t know you. I am here in my spare time to discuss the film and the actors with other fans. It’s not my intention to argue with someone.
You asked me what I thought about your post – and I gave you an answer.
Misunderstandings happen sometimes. I am glad we talked about it but as far as I am concerned this matter is settled.

I like this thread. But I haven’t been here for 18 months as a silent reader. I watched FF for the first time in February this year. And I didn’t know about this forum before either.

I hope we can talk about more interesting things again now  :)

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1157 on: May 24, 2015, 02:57:11 pm »
I will try to explain.
When I read your comment about the actor's speaking English, my very first thought and feeling was: why? Freier Fall is what it is and it is German.
But a first thought is only a feeling without thinking it over first. Thinking: "isn't the German version good enough" is different than thinking that YOU think it's not good enough.
I know how much you love the movie just how it is. After I read your comment again, in the context you wrote it, I did understand how you meant it.

Look at this one.
Sense8 trailer with German voices. English wasn't good enough (sorry Lea, just kidding  ;D).

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1158 on: May 24, 2015, 03:00:01 pm »
Butlers, I don’t know you. I am here in my spare time to discuss the film and the actors with other fans. It’s not my intention to argue with someone.
You asked me what I thought about your post – and I gave you an answer.
Misunderstandings happen sometimes. I am glad we talked about it but as far as I am concerned this matter is settled.

I like this thread. But I haven’t been here for 18 months as a silent reader. I watched FF for the first time in February this year. And I didn’t know about this forum before either.

I hope we can talk about more interesting things again now  :)

I hope so too  :)

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1159 on: May 24, 2015, 03:12:40 pm »

Max is the son of the owner of a car dealership. He has just finished his apprenticeship and it's planned that he runs the business together with his father now. On this occasion there is little reception in the company. However, somehow Max is not the kind of guy who really fits in this position (he just accepts his fate). Then his best friend shows up and talks him into a spontaneous last holiday before life starts to get serious.
And from there on there are several loose ends and the plot doesn't seem to be logical anymore. The film is a bit oppressive and as if you swim in turbid water. But in the end everything gets cleared up. It's not a funny film. But like Free Fall it made me think for a while.
I don't think I would watch it as often as Free Fall but in my opinion it is worth to watch it.

Sounds interesting. I will watch it when I have the chance.

The incident with Limpinski could also cause problems for Kay when he applies for a new unit. I guess it is noted in his personnel file and furthermore it is also possible that the old and new colleagues know each other (i.e. from vocational trainings). So he would always face a tough position. He might have thought that it is better to leave now than to wait that things maybe get even worse and leave then.
He wants to put the past behind him - in all respects.
For Marc it would mean that he has to make an effort to find Kay after he is clear on his feelings. And not to be able to find him immediately could reinforce Marcs feelings.

That's true, staying at the police force would make it difficult for Kay to leave the past behind him. And if he had left, that would explain why Marc couldn't find him.