Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022241 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 12:16:37 am »
I'm dying to go see 'The Prestige', and 'Marie Antoinette' and 'The Queen' (the one with Helen Mirren).

2007 is shaping up to be a great movie year for me.

Jake has a new movie cominig out and Ewan McGregor is going to star with Hugh Jackman in one movie, Colin Farrell in another.

Life is sweet.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 09:08:59 am »
I'd like to see The Prestige mostly because I like Christopher Nolan films.  They're always so atmospheric - they really put you in that place with the characters.  I love that.  I'd also like to see Marie Antoinette mostly, again, because I like Sofia Coppola.  I really loved Lost in Translation (and yes, Mandy, kind of in spite of Scarlett Johannson - she doesn't do a thing for me, either).

LJ, I totally agree with you about Leo in The Departed.  Not sure where my head was at on that first viewing.  I do still believe that Mark Wahlberg stole it, and I still can't believe I'm saying that.
No more beans!

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 09:19:34 am »
 :) I saw "The Prestige" last night and really liked it.  If you are thinking of going, watch it with an open mind and pay attention to everything, characters, spoken lines and sets, etc. and even if you figure some of it out, you will want to see it again just to see how it was done, so to speak :D
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 01:06:39 pm »
Scarlett Johansen once again convinced me that she is plastic and she gets steadily worse with every movie since the Island

Littleguitar - Sooo true.  I totally do not understand any of the hype.  She is a worthless addition to every movie she's in.

Barb - Mark Wahlberg was indeed a great surprise.  Glad you went back & saw how good DiCaprio really was - I've been holding out hope for him every since I saw Gilbert Grape.

When things in the theaters got so boring earlier, I went to Hollywood Video & they'd have (haven't seen it lately) 5 DVD's for $20.00.  Bought all kinds of movies I'd never have seen otherwise, some very good, some - worth the money & a few that I couldn't make it through.  It's was a great experiment in movie viewing.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 07:48:14 pm »
OK, I don't like Leonardo DiCaprio, but his accent in 'Blood Diamond' has me intrigued.

Offline jura86

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 08:27:33 pm »
OK, I don't like Leonardo DiCaprio, but his accent in 'Blood Diamond' has me intrigued.

I laughed out loud when that trailer came on before Departed - his accent was atrocious!

Just remembered I saw Death of a President the other day - have to say I was disappointed with it, I was under the impression that the film would look at what would happen to the world, what the consequences would be, if Bush was assassinated. Instead, it just focused on who committed the assassination, so played a bit like an episode of CSI, different people investigating the shooting.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 10:12:38 pm »
I laughed out loud when that trailer came on before Departed - his accent was atrocious!

Is he supposed to be South African or Scandinavian?  I can't tell.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 12:22:07 am »
I thought South African... and maybe it was just me but I thought it was fairly good. I spent some time with a few south african men about a year ago... about 12 days on a bus... and it sounded right to me, but that could just be time messing with my mind as 12 days isn't long in the grand scheme of things.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 01:00:43 am »
I thought South African... and maybe it was just me but I thought it was fairly good. I spent some time with a few south african men about a year ago... about 12 days on a bus... and it sounded right to me, but that could just be time messing with my mind as 12 days isn't long in the grand scheme of things.

Accents are funny things.  People hear them differently.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 10:34:13 pm »
I'll play it for a South African tomorrow and see what he says...

O0

Heathen