Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1036044 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1280 on: January 02, 2009, 09:44:57 am »
Meryl, go see Slumdog. What oilgun, John and Katherine said, I second, and third. You definitely need to see it.

There's a new chick flick coming out with Dustin Hoffman and... somebody? They say Dustin is as cute as he was in The Graduate. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have opened yet so I can't put that on the agenda for today. Darn!

My other choices: Doubt - not interested; Marley & Me - I don't do dog movies; Valkyrie - I've expressed my opinion on this one (!); Seven Pounds - I don't really know anything about this one, but Will Smith usually leaves me flat.

Maybe I'll go see Milk again. I am in the mood for a movie.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1281 on: January 02, 2009, 12:03:00 pm »

There's a new chick flick coming out with Dustin Hoffman and... somebody? They say Dustin is as cute as he was in The Graduate. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have opened yet so I can't put that on the agenda for today. Darn!

;D

*Dustin Hoffman and... somebody?                     (2:29)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUTyyhDJQX0[/youtube]

*Possible spoiler: This is a legitimate trailer, but trailers can sometimes be a little--didactic. Fair warning before you click and watch--this 2:29 trailer has a beginning, a middle and an ending--everything but the full credits crawl as you look for your left mitten under the seat!

(Non-spoiler: turn down the sound, no plot points are revealed and London looks great! After a walk along the revitalized South Bank and across the Hungerford Bridge, Dustin and Emma sit in the central courtyard of Somerset House (at 2:15)--that's where a few Brokies saw an outdoor screening of Brokeback Mountain this Summer! Very nice!)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1282 on: January 02, 2009, 01:23:28 pm »
Yes, Last Chance Harvey, with Emma Thompson. Cute Dustin? Oh I suppose in a kind of a lost puppy type of way. If you like the idea of Dustin in a grey crewcut. If you're looking for cute Dustin, I suggest Little Big Man, especially the sight of a naked Dustin going around the teepee from Indian maiden to Indian maiden! Now, that's cute! Also cute is the gay Indian couple...excuse me, the same-sex Native American partners. Or whatever. Anyway, it's something worth renting and better than Dances With Wolves IMHO.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1283 on: January 02, 2009, 01:38:16 pm »
Yes, Last Chance Harvey, with Emma Thompson. Cute Dustin? Oh I suppose in a kind of a lost puppy type of way. If you like the idea of Dustin in a grey crewcut. If you're looking for cute Dustin, I suggest Little Big Man, especially the sight of a naked Dustin going around the teepee from Indian maiden to Indian maiden! Now, that's cute! Also cute is the gay Indian couple...excuse me, the same-sex Native American partners. Or whatever. Anyway, it's something worth renting and better than Dances With Wolves IMHO.

Oh, I saw Little Big Man back in the day...in the theater. Might be worth a re-watch, though. I'll definitely be seeing Last Chance Harvey, when it opens.

Meanwhile, here's a little New Year's Treat for all of you. Fantastic animation! I am going to post it on the book thread, too.

http://vimeo.com/2295261?pg=embed&sec=2295261
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1284 on: January 02, 2009, 01:45:09 pm »
Meanwhile, here's a little New Year's Treat for all of you. Fantastic animation! I am going to post it on the book thread, too.

http://vimeo.com/2295261?pg=embed&sec=2295261

Very clever and pretty, Leslie, thanks.  I hope that town has a good Fire Department.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1285 on: January 02, 2009, 05:28:32 pm »
I just got back from seeing THE WRESTLER and I really, really enjoyed it.  It's an excellent film and I think Mickey Rourke will be the one to beat at the oscars. 

Some trivia: 
Apparently, Rourke and Bruce Springsteen, who sings the song that plays over the closing credits, worked pro-bono on the project.
Originally, sad sack Nicholas Cage was set to play the lead. (but I guess he wanted to get payed  :laugh:  ;) )

! ! ! ! ! !

My Top Ten Favourite Films of the Year, so far, in alphabetical order, and of course, subject to change:

The Band's Visit
Chansons d'amour (Love Songs)
Cloverfield
Un conte de Noël (A Christmas Tale)
The Edge of Heaven
Funny Games
JCVD
Milk
Paranoid Park
The Wrestler

Honorable mentions:  The Dark Knight, In Bruges, Slumdog Millionnaire

My Bottom: Wanted

I still have to see:

Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Maybe it was all the Forrest Gump references from people who saw the film that make this one feel like homework.
Doubt
Frost/Nixon
Happy-go-Lucky
Wall-E
Waltz with Bashir
Wendy & Lucy

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 10:22:30 pm by oilgun »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1286 on: January 02, 2009, 07:19:17 pm »
Hi oilgun! Can you tell me what you liked about The Band's Visit? Another friend of mine said she liked it, too, but I can't remember why. I rented it and fell asleep about 20 minutes into it and was not exactly chomping at the bit to go back to it. But I trust your endorsements! JCVD is on my must-see list entirely because of you.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1287 on: January 02, 2009, 08:16:06 pm »
Hi oilgun! Can you tell me what you liked about The Band's Visit? Another friend of mine said she liked it, too, but I can't remember why. I rented it and fell asleep about 20 minutes into it and was not exactly chomping at the bit to go back to it. But I trust your endorsements! JCVD is on my must-see list entirely because of you.

The Band's Visit.  I really liked how the director managed to pull off a delicate balance of sweetness & melancholy without getting sentimental.   Plus, it 's just gorgeous to look at with some amazingly well composed shots.

Here's a quote that perfectly expresses why I liked the film: "The Band's Visit has many graces you might not expect to find in a film from a first-time director: A meticulous sense of timing, a gift for small-scale naturalism, a dry sense of humor, a warm sense of humanity. "  (from James Rocchi's review at http://www.cinematical.com/2007/09/07/tiff-review-the-bands-visit/)

pnwDUDE

« Reply #1288 on: January 05, 2009, 12:14:06 am »
Don't know if this movie has been discussed. Steve and I got it on Netflix. Worth the rent. It is outstanding:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1212408/

Brad

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1289 on: January 05, 2009, 04:20:45 am »
Surfwise