Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025218 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1330 on: January 31, 2009, 08:41:56 am »
Last night I watched a pretty decent Spanish horror movie called [REC].  Apparently, QUARANTINE  is close to being a shot-for-shot remake of it. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1331 on: February 01, 2009, 12:14:16 pm »
I finally got around to seeing Frost/Nixon and Pan's Labyrinth yesterday. Both were excellent. In different ways, of course.

F/N did such a great job of humanizing Nixon without making him any less evil. As Neil Young sang, "Even Richard Nixon has got soul." (George W. Bush I'm not so sure about.) Michael Sheen and Frank Langella were both really good. I kept trying to remember what the real Frost and Nixon were like. Now I'd be interested in renting the original interviews.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1332 on: February 01, 2009, 12:51:27 pm »
I agree about "Frost/Nixon", Katherine.  They all did a great job making those interviews into an interesting, even suspenseful, movie.  8)

Last night I saw "The Wrestler" with Mickey Rourke.  I enjoyed it and thought it was a very well-done character study of this aging guy who was no longer able to make a living at wrestling and really had no game plan for the future.  Mickey Rourke was terrific, and fearless about showing the wear and tear on his beat-up, over-drugged, battle-scarred body, as well as very sensitive to the inner workings of the man.  There's not much story here except to watch him slowly drowning and reaching out for whatever human contact he can manage along the way.  The look of the film is really great; the locations, the people around him, all make you feel you've lived in that seamy world for a short time.  Just be prepared for some harrowing stuff in the wrestling ring--I didn't know the crowds demanded such brutality from their heroes.  Afterwards I felt like going home and swallowing a handful of ibuprofen!  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1333 on: February 01, 2009, 03:22:35 pm »

I'm totally elated tonight after seeing Slumdog Millionaire!! Some of the images are bursting in my brain, filling me with a primitive urge to paw the white out of the moon!!

Told you! Yes!

;D
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1334 on: February 01, 2009, 03:27:45 pm »

Last night I saw "The Wrestler" with Mickey Rourke.

You DID?? Meryl, you never told me you know Mr. Rourke! Did you have dinner afterwards? Tell us more!  ::)

"Camping Out"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #1335 on: February 01, 2009, 03:52:59 pm »
 ;D  :laugh:
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1336 on: February 01, 2009, 04:04:53 pm »
You DID?? Meryl, you never told me you know Mr. Rourke! Did you have dinner afterwards? Tell us more!  ::)

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Actually, I did have dinner afterward.  My friends and I tried out that Italian seafood restaurant we spotted on Eighth Avenue on our "Thais" excursion: Mare.  It's a cozy neighborhood place with a bar just inside, a neat vintage coke machine, painted paneling and nautical wall hangings.  The food was good, and it was fairly reasonable.  I had a good-sized plate of shrimp scampi for under $20.  Very nice!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1337 on: February 01, 2009, 04:12:52 pm »

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Actually, I did have dinner afterward.  My friends and I tried out that Italian seafood restaurant we spotted on Eighth Avenue on our "Thais" excursion: Mare.  It's a cozy neighborhood place with a bar just inside, a neat vintage coke machine, painted paneling and nautical wall hangings.  The food was good, and it was fairly reasonable.  I had a good-sized plate of shrimp scampi for under $20.  Very nice!  8)

Lovely! Since that wonderful 8th Avenue excursion I really want to go back and try all those cozy dives! -- BUT--it was COLD  :o  in New York late last night, wasn't it??--Around 1:00 AM the iPhone told me it was 26 F, and it felt like 06 F--brrr! And today, it's Spring. Go figure!

I saw THE CLASS (Entre les murs) yesterday and really, REALLY enjoyed it.  It's up for Best Foreign language film and I wouldn't be surprised if it wins because it's a quietly brilliant piece of work.  Definitely a must see for teachers and anyone interested in education.  It's engaging, riveting, exasperating and thought provoking.  It also deservedly won the grand prize at Cannes

I saw THE CLASS last night at the Angelika, the 10:10pm screening--I was waiting for it to open for quite some time, and in the end I really liked it--I told a friend that it was a contemporary, French semi faux docu-version of To Sir With Love (1967) and Up the Down Staircase (also 1967)

So, I liked the film and I really liked François Bégaudeau, the actor playing the teacher, M. Marin; he is a real teacher, and he wrote the original book and the adapted screenplay. If this gets Best Foreign Language Film Oscar, I guess we'll see him on stage, for sure.

(I will say, though, that I could not follow the French--especially the students' very 'street' French--at all. I was completely dependent upon the subtitles. I wonder if anyone who saw it with English subtitles and knows French might comment--I'd appreciate it!)

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1338 on: February 01, 2009, 09:47:29 pm »

--it was COLD  :o  in New York late last night, wasn't it??--Around 1:00 AM the iPhone told me it was 26 F, and it felt like 06 F--brrr!

Oh, dear, I have a friend in New York this weekend...well he's used to the cold.
 :-\
"chewing gum and duct tape"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1339 on: February 01, 2009, 10:13:22 pm »

Oh, dear, I have a friend in New York this weekend...well he's used to the cold.
 :-\

Don't worry, Lee. Today, it was 51 F !!! (And gorgeous!  )

Tomorrow? Who knows. Anybody's guess!

I'm sure your FRiend will be fine. LAYERS  are the thing!

"Camping Out"