Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025684 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1350 on: February 10, 2009, 02:41:21 pm »
David Denby had a good description of Brad Pitt's performance in this week's New Yorker:

"Pitt's modesty when he comes into his own handsome flesh is becoming, yet his eyes are unforgivably blank. Where is Benjamin's exhilaration at shedding his infirmities?"

Exactly.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1351 on: February 10, 2009, 02:56:09 pm »
MY WINNIPEG - A "docu-fantasy" by Guy Maddin.   I enjoyed it much more than his previous THE SADDEST MUSIC IN THE WORLD.  Anne Savage, who has since died I think, plays his mother. She's famous for her unforgetable role in the Noir cult classic DETOUR. MY WINNIPEG is a bizarre, humourous and touching tribute to his hometown.
Watch the trailer!:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY9BtROpNQ4[/youtube]

What a hoot! How entertaining! A putdown/tribute to all small towns everywhere, no matter what size!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1352 on: February 10, 2009, 03:54:58 pm »
David Denby had a good description of Brad Pitt's performance in this week's New Yorker:

"Pitt's modesty when he comes into his own handsome flesh is becoming, yet his eyes are unforgivably blank. Where is Benjamin's exhilaration at shedding his infirmities?"

Exactly.

I wonder what point in the movie the critic is talking about?  The movie did bring home the point that as we aquire wisdom, our body begins to let us down. In TCCBB, he gets to experience wisdom from having lived a full life yet having the body of a 26 year old man.  I really wonder what that would be like?   

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1353 on: February 10, 2009, 04:01:30 pm »
THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON - Well, let me put it this way, now I know what "Oscar boring" means. I didn't really hate it, but there is absolutely no way I could watch that again.  At one point the young looking Brad reminded me of a CG "actor" from FINAL FANTASY, that was kinda cool actually.  I thought the music was maudlin, intrusive and relentless.   It was strangely un-affecting film for such a melodramatic story, with its abandoned babies, mowed-down ballerinas, drunken sailors & womanizing pygmies.
Sorry, Fincher fans, but it won't even make my top-ten.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1354 on: February 10, 2009, 04:26:09 pm »
I wonder what point in the movie the critic is talking about?  The movie did bring home the point that as we aquire wisdom, our body begins to let us down. In TCCBB, he gets to experience wisdom from having lived a full life yet having the body of a 26 year old man.  I really wonder what that would be like?   

I think it would be a lot of people's idea of Heaven -- wisdom, beauty, peak health, the best of all possible worlds. But Benjamin goes through that phase in his usual stolid, pleasant, responsible, unexcited way. That's my interpretation of what Denby means.

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON - Well, let me put it this way, now I know what "Oscar boring" means. I didn't really hate it, but there is absolutely no way I could watch that again.  At one point the young looking Brad reminded me of a CG "actor" from FINAL FANTASY, that was kinda cool actually.  I thought the music was maudlin, intrusive and relentless.   It was strangely un-affecting film for such a melodramatic story, with its abandoned babies, mowed-down ballerinas, drunken sailors & womanizing pygmies.
Sorry, Fincher fans, but it won't even make my top-ten.

I thought the makeup in that dance-school scene, where Benjamin was maybe 18 or so (physically), was a bit startling. Completely convincing, on the one hand, though his eyes looked slightly alien, like they were pasted on.

I suspect the earlier film footage when he was in India or wherever, physically about 22, was of the actual Brad Pitt, traveling in his younger years. What a cutie!

Re your comment about the film being unaffecting, despite the melodrama, here's another good line of Denby's:

"He eventually leaves the home, enters a stunningly gentle world, and has assorted and generally meaningless adventures."

Just like Forrest Gump!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1355 on: February 10, 2009, 11:36:20 pm »
How apt that you're discussing Benjamin Button, because I just saw it this afternoon.  8)

I can see how the "boring" description could be applied to it, but I did enjoy it very much.  I like movies that tell a story gradually, taking time to savor their characters and settings, and that aren't afraid to dwell on moments that other movies would rush through.  I guess that's the reason "Barry Lyndon" is one of my favorite films.

I've been wondering why Benjamin's character was so unremarkable in itself, and the reason I came up with is that he's there to allow the people who choose to care about him to be their best selves.  He listens to, empathizes with and loves them unconditionally, making no demands, just accepting what is offered.  He seems to be storing up everything about them.  Why does he go from old to young?  It's an interesting idea to explore, I guess.  It's his own particular pain--never to fit in, always to be going in the opposite direction to the ones he loves.  It gives him a certain clarity but keeps him apart.  Far from worshiping youth, he fears its helplessness as others fear the infirmities of old age.

I thought Brad Pitt was lovely in the role.  Yes, his eyes could be more alive, but I thought the same thing about Christian Bale in "The Dark Knight."  The compensation is physical beauty and an aura of sweetness that fit the character well.  To a large extent, it may have been simply a choice; anyone who's seen him in "Twelve Monkeys" knows his eyes can take on a mad, penetrating look.  I often think of Brad Pitt as a younger Robert Redford; he's another one more known for his looks than his emotive ability.  Cate Blanchett is one of my favorite actors, and she was terrific as usual.  But she wasn't given any real scenery-chewing opportunities either, which makes me think the director made a choice to keep histrionics out of the film.

I failed to catch the original reference to the humming bird, so every time one showed up I was clueless as to its meaning.  Can anybody enlighten me?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1356 on: February 11, 2009, 12:01:50 am »
I often think of Brad Pitt as a younger Robert Redford;

Me too. The resemblance is startling. I think Robert Redford was thinking the same when he directed A River Runs Through It.

I failed to catch the original reference to the humming bird, so every time one showed up I was clueless as to its meaning.  Can anybody enlighten me?

No, I didn't get that, either. My son suggested they should have used it more. That might have seemed heavy-handed, but as it was it was just kind of mystifying.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1357 on: February 11, 2009, 12:10:53 pm »
I finally got around to seeing MILK yesterday evening.  To tell you the truth, the movie didn't grab me. I felt like it should have been made twenty years earlier.  Maybe I'm expecting every movie with "gay themes" to hit me like BBM and that's not going to happen.   :-\   

I still have not seen THE READER, SLUMDOG, or THE WRESTLER.  SLUMDOG comes out in mid-March on DVD so maybe I will just wait.  It will probably win best picture. PPl want a "happy movie" (I gather that it is not serious social commentary) for BP given the dreary historic times the world finds itself in.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1358 on: February 11, 2009, 12:12:07 pm »
How apt that you're discussing Benjamin Button, because I just saw it this afternoon.  8)

I can see how the "boring" description could be applied to it, but I did enjoy it very much.  I like movies that tell a story gradually, taking time to savor their characters and settings, and that aren't afraid to dwell on moments that other movies would rush through.  I guess that's the reason "Barry Lyndon" is one of my favorite films.

I've been wondering why Benjamin's character was so unremarkable in itself, and the reason I came up with is that he's there to allow the people who choose to care about him to be their best selves.  He listens to, empathizes with and loves them unconditionally, making no demands, just accepting what is offered.  He seems to be storing up everything about them.  Why does he go from old to young?  It's an interesting idea to explore, I guess.  It's his own particular pain--never to fit in, always to be going in the opposite direction to the ones he loves.  It gives him a certain clarity but keeps him apart.  Far from worshiping youth, he fears its helplessness as others fear the infirmities of old age.

I thought Brad Pitt was lovely in the role.  Yes, his eyes could be more alive, but I thought the same thing about Christian Bale in "The Dark Knight."  The compensation is physical beauty and an aura of sweetness that fit the character well.  To a large extent, it may have been simply a choice; anyone who's seen him in "Twelve Monkeys" knows his eyes can take on a mad, penetrating look.  I often think of Brad Pitt as a younger Robert Redford; he's another one more known for his looks than his emotive ability.  Cate Blanchett is one of my favorite actors, and she was terrific as usual.  But she wasn't given any real scenery-chewing opportunities either, which makes me think the director made a choice to keep histrionics out of the film.

RE: Significance of the Hummingbirds.  A quick google search provided the following opinions:

"According to Wikipedia, "the hummingbird is known as a messenger and stopper of time due to its speed... The hummingbird is also able to fly backwards, teaching us that we can look back on our past."

In the movie, the hummingbird appears during times that a hummingbird should not survive - out at sea and during a winter storm. Perhaps the hummingbird represents that these characters can learn from their trying experiences but move forward with energy like a hummingbird. Perhaps the hummingbird represents the need for these characters to also act as messengers and share their stories with others."
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081226204943AA5FvdJ

-------------------------------

"[...] an amusingly recurring gag involving lightning strikes, and an egregiously symbolic hummingbird, Benjamin Button unavoidably invites comparisons to Gump." - http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/film_review.asp?ID=4036  (I had to look up egregiously, lol!)

--------------------------

"As Captain Mike dies after a heroic attack on a German U-boat, Benjamin tells him, "There's a nice spot in heaven waiting for you." Benjamin spies a hummingbird flying upward, perhaps a symbol of Mike's spirit. A hummingbird appears again when Benjamin grows too young to live any longer." - http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/movies/a0004413.cfm - I can't believe I'm quoting a i]Focus on Family[/i] site!  Ewww!

--------------------------

"Cloying symbol of, well, something:

"Forrest Gump:" A feather that appears in key moments of the film, cascading downward lightly, spritely, representing the uplifting vicissitudes of survival and existence.

"Benjamin Button:" A hummingbird that appears in key moments of the film, madly flapping its wings, representing the uplifting vicissitudes of survival and existence."
- http://www.insidesocal.com/tv/2008/12/benjamin-button-a-gump-by-any.html

Hope this helps

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1359 on: February 11, 2009, 12:23:36 pm »
Thanks, Gil.  The messenger and flying backwards characteristics really resonate with the movie's themes, I think.  Maybe the hummingbird was never mentioned in the script by any character, but just appeared.  I wonder, was it in the original short story?
Ich bin ein Brokie...