Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1040447 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1360 on: February 13, 2009, 12:10:33 pm »
Another list showing Brokeback Mountain as being a great Valentine's Day movie to watch. Most of the lists I've seen BBM appearing on say "You don't have to be gay to..." well something to that effect. I guess more ppl might watch BBM if it keep appearing on so many lists. 

Check this one out. Some of the other movies mentioned are among my favorites; Annie Hall, Eternal Sunshine and Roman Holiday.

11. Brokeback Mountain (2005)
For all the talk about Brokeback Mountain as a groundbreaking film about gay lovers, what really makes the story work is its depiction of love as a kind of lucky escape: how fortunate Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal are to find each other in the middle of nowhere, and how eagerly they look forward to the few times a year they get to reunite. Gay or not, anyone who’s ever been in a long-distance relationship can identify with the feeling that the time spent with a beloved partner is portioned off from everyday life—so sacred and rare that it’s almost unreal.

"Romance minus the schmaltz: 29 falling-in-love movies we actually believe in"
http://www.avclub.com/articles/romance-minus-the-schmaltz-29-fallinginlove-movies,23565/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1361 on: February 14, 2009, 09:44:05 am »
Thanks, Gil.  The messenger and flying backwards characteristics really resonate with the movie's themes, I think.  Maybe the hummingbird was never mentioned in the script by any character, but just appeared.  I wonder, was it in the original short story?

No. I just read the short story a few weeks ago. It is not much of a stretch to say that the only thing the short story and the movie have in common is the title and the notion of someone aging backwards. Everything else is different.

The short story is free at feedbooks.com. You can probably download it and read it on your computer. I read it on my Kindle.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1362 on: February 14, 2009, 10:22:03 am »

I thought the makeup in that dance-school scene, where Benjamin was maybe 18 or so (physically), was a bit startling. Completely convincing, on the one hand, though his eyes looked slightly alien, like they were pasted on.

Wasn't that an outtake from Thelma and Louise?? ;)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1363 on: February 14, 2009, 10:33:29 am »
I still have not seen THE READER, SLUMDOG, or THE WRESTLER.  SLUMDOG comes out in mid-March on DVD so maybe I will just wait.  It will probably win best picture. PPl want a "happy movie" (I gather that it is not serious social commentary) for BP given the dreary historic times the world finds itself in.

A movie can be serious social commentary AND have funny/happy moments too. Where is it decreed that a movie about real life has to have a sad ending? (Maybe Sartre declared that?) I'm thinking about Arthur Penn's Little Big Man and the British film O Lucky Man. SM is in that genre.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1364 on: February 14, 2009, 11:09:31 am »
No. I just read the short story a few weeks ago. It is not much of a stretch to say that the only thing the short story and the movie have in common is the title and the notion of someone aging backwards. Everything else is different.

The short story is free at feedbooks.com. You can probably download it and read it on your computer. I read it on my Kindle.

I read it online. Or I should say, skimmed it. Your description is right on, Leslie, not a stretch at all.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1365 on: February 14, 2009, 07:53:57 pm »
Wasn't that an outtake from Thelma and Louise?? ;)

It sure looked like it. Or they photoshopped the T&L Brad Pitt into the scene.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1366 on: February 18, 2009, 11:04:58 pm »
On a whim, I saw Coraline on Monday.  Well, actually not a whim, but rather I had heard the filmmaker on NPR and was inspired to go.

I don't think it has been advertised very well, but the show was sold out! 

Honestly, it must have been my first 3-D film ever.  Go for the animation alone.  It's that very labor-intensive stop-animation stuff, so imaginative.  The story, well, it's less Alice in Wonderland, and more cliché-evil-engulfing-mother-be-careful-what-you-wish-for. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1367 on: February 19, 2009, 12:21:47 am »
It's that very labor-intensive stop-animation stuff, so imaginative. 

So do they actually shoot one frame, stop, move the character's hand a quarter millimeter, shoot another frame, stop, move a foot and an eyebrow a quarter millimeter, etc.?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1368 on: February 19, 2009, 08:32:12 am »
So do they actually shoot one frame, stop, move the character's hand a quarter millimeter, shoot another frame, stop, move a foot and an eyebrow a quarter millimeter, etc.?

You bet!

Same in Nightmare Before Christmas and the Wallace and Gromit films.

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1369 on: February 21, 2009, 01:16:35 am »
in case anyone didn't know...  'he's just not that into you' - sh*t movie.

>:(
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."