Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025301 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1420 on: March 16, 2009, 05:53:10 pm »
Hey Gil, I finally saw The Tattoist.  (Netflix streaming video--pretty good.)  I'd see Jason Behr in just about anything.  The story was interesting, and not as violent as I'd thought it might be, a little light overall.  Jason was very cute, but unfortunately just as wooden as he was in Roswell.

Yes, well, Jason Behr never did seem to have much range I'm afraid.  He did some "emoting" in RITES OF PASSAGE.  (Well, he tried! ;)) Too bad the homoeroticism was so ... restrained, it could have been so hot if he had made-out with James Remar!

PS:  I was always in the Fehr camp, myself... ;)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1421 on: March 16, 2009, 10:59:27 pm »
Yes, well, Jason Behr never did seem to have much range I'm afraid.  He did some "emoting" in RITES OF PASSAGE.  (Well, he tried! ;)) Too bad the homoeroticism was so ... restrained, it could have been so hot if he had made-out with James Remar!

PS:  I was always in the Fehr camp, myself... ;)

Hmm, Brendan never did much for me. 

Trivia: Jason Behr has one degree of separation from BBM.  How? 

Also, shameless name-dropping:  I met James Remar in 1989 when he was filming Tales from the Darkside:  The Movie.  He's from Boston and he knows his psych meds!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1422 on: March 17, 2009, 12:06:37 pm »
Hmm, Brendan never did much for me. 

Trivia: Jason Behr has one degree of separation from BBM.  How? 

Also, shameless name-dropping:  I met James Remar in 1989 when he was filming Tales from the Darkside:  The Movie.  He's from Boston and he knows his psych meds!
Not counting the DAWSON'S CREEK/Michelle Williams connection, I assume?  Or THE SHIPPING NEWS/ANNIE PROULX connection?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1423 on: March 17, 2009, 02:25:02 pm »
Not counting the DAWSON'S CREEK/Michelle Williams connection, I assume?  Or THE SHIPPING NEWS/ANNIE PROULX connection?

Yeah, I was thinking about The Shipping News--he played "Dennis Buggit".  Gotta love Annie's weird names. 

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1424 on: March 17, 2009, 02:30:12 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking about The Shipping News--he played "Dennis Buggit".  Gotta love Annie's weird names. 

Cool, I didn't even look it up!  :D

On the weekend I saw:

GOMORRAH - (2008) Matteo Garrone 4/5
-Excellent film! A violent & unsentimental look at the Neopolitan mob. It feels like a documentary and certainly doesn't glorify the lifestyle. A must see.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 04:15:57 am by oilgun »

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1425 on: March 21, 2009, 10:02:54 pm »
Duplicity

8 out of 10

Plus 1 point for outstanding chemistry between the two leads.  They're very natural together.

The valuable product they're plotting to steal adds a hint of ludicrousness to the whole atmosphere of super-secret, high tech, underhanded, cut-throat corporate espionage world they're working in.

Clive is gorgeous and does a mean Southern accent and I take a point off the movie for not giving him a shirtless scene every 15 minutes.   :-*

Another point off  - can't Julia Roberts look glam for once?  She's still doing this organic frumpy thing - and it's not flattering at all.

The flashbacks were a bit difficult to keep up with.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1426 on: March 22, 2009, 06:13:10 pm »
WATCHMEN - I was apprehensive about seeing this one because I hated 300, the director's previous film, but I really enjoyed it.   I would recommend reading the graphic novel first,though.  Some details have been changed but they actually improve on the story.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1427 on: April 13, 2009, 01:35:17 pm »
I highly recommend Frozen River, the little independent film about an unusual friendship between two women in financial crisis on the US/Canadian border. 

Great performances by Melissa Leo (the longshot for the Best Actress Oscar this year) and Misty Upham.  First-time filmmaker Courtney Hunt both wrote and directed. 

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1428 on: April 13, 2009, 02:52:52 pm »
Thanks for the reminder, Paul.  :)

I forgot to mention I saw "Sunshine Cleaning" with Amy Adams and Emily Blunt, which I also recommend.  It's being advertised as a yuk-yuk comedy, but it's more than that.   It's been compared to "Little Miss Sunshine," which gives you a better idea, mainly in that there's humor, but it comes out of underlying family problems.  Both Amy Adams and Emily Blunt turn in great performances, and smaller roles by Alan Arkin, Steve Zahn, Clifton Collins, Jr. (the killer in "Capote") and Mary Lynn Rajskub (Chloe on "24") make it even better.  The director, Christine Jeffs, hasn't done a lot, but she did a great job, I think.  It's shot in Albuquerque and follows two down and out sisters who start a crime scene cleanup business.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1429 on: April 14, 2009, 03:21:30 am »
Meryl, you make me want to see Sunshine Cleaning.  Good cast.

delalluvia, please to forgive, I came on this thread to say what a piece of barely mitigated crap Duplicity was, with annoying plot holes (plotholes being particularly irksome in thriller/caper/how'd they do it movies).  I will agree that Julia Roberts didn't look good, but I like what I imagine you mean by the "organic" look, and am often not as keen on glamorous.  To me it looked she had more weird plastic surgery and then bad make up.  Clive Owen, I concur, is pretty dang yummy, and so interesting to look at.  And he did do a good job on the accent, though it didn't sound like any Tennessee accent I'm familiar with.  He could do a whole movie with that accent and carry it off, I think. 

The dialogue was incredibly lame-o.  I didn't feel chemistry between them other than I kept getting the sense they were signalling, "I can't believe I'm delivering this horseshit."  "I know, we've sold out, but remember, it's worth it."  "I guess.  Where do you want to go for lunch today?"

I did like Kathleen Chalfant

I went to the IMDb forum for it, and read some pretty entertaining plot hole explosions.