Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1039058 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1480 on: November 27, 2009, 04:53:58 pm »
Except that Max doesn't learn to deal with those realities.  We don't see it.

What the movie is then - I'm partially agreeing with you - is a realistic - comparatively speaking - view of a kid acting out his problems at home but showing no growth, no learning, no moral to his story, just reality - that he has feelings and they happen and they're everywhere.

*Yawn*  No wonder I was bored and it was only a 1.5 hour movie.

Well, like I said, it's not the classic hero adventure with the traditional obvious plot. However, I do think there is growth, learning and a moral. They're just subtle.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1481 on: November 27, 2009, 05:06:51 pm »
Well, like I said, it's not the classic hero adventure with the traditional obvious plot. However, I do think there is growth, learning and a moral. They're just subtle.

So subtle that me, my teacher friend and other friends and relatives - ranging in ages from 19 to 46 -who saw the movie missed them as well.  We all had the same complaint about the movie.  :laugh:

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1482 on: November 27, 2009, 11:01:03 pm »
I saw A Serious Man tonight and thought it was great!

A little bit dark and terribly funny...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1483 on: November 29, 2009, 04:18:26 pm »
Just got back from seeing Hillcoat's The Road and loved it!  It's pretty bleak, of course, but I didn't find it particularly depressing.  More like horrifying and I did tear up quite a bit, so make sure you have tissues, lol!  Viggo gives an excellent performance and I hope it gets him a nomination at least.   Highly recommended.

I should add that I haven't read the book,  I understand that those who have, enjoy the film less.

Offline Sammi

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #1484 on: December 01, 2009, 06:55:45 pm »
OK I am not sure if this is the right thread to posts this... but anyway...

I don't really watch movies very often, I have not been to a movie in a theater in about 4 years and I rarely watch them on cable.  However it seems like aorund this time of year the cable stations do play lots of good movies, and lately I have seen several movies that are not new, but new to me (BBM being one of them). 

For example I just watched Little Miss Sunshine, and The Lake House with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock.  I liked both movies.  Has anyone ever seen Lake House?  I did enjoy this movie even though I could never really wrap my head around the time warm thing.  ***SPOILERS*** At the end of the movie the two main characters are united and they can finally embrace and they give this totally lackluster kiss, I was like "huh?" about it.  I guess after watching that reunion scene kiss in BBM I expect more from on-screen kisses!  SB and KR seemed like they has zero passion and chemistry, and they have been in movies together before!  Weird ending.   

Little Miss Sunshine was just funny, I liked it.

Offline Sophia

• Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #1485 on: December 01, 2009, 07:09:09 pm »

I don't really watch movies very often, I have not been to a movie in a theater in about 4 years and I rarely watch them on cable.  However it seems like aorund this time of year the cable stations do play lots of good movies, and lately I have seen several movies that are not new, but new to me (BBM being one of them). 

For example I just watched Little Miss Sunshine, and The Lake House with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock.  I liked both movies.  Has anyone ever seen Lake House?  I did enjoy this movie even though I could never really wrap my head around the time warm thing.  ***SPOILERS*** At the end of the movie the two main characters are united and they can finally embrace and they give this totally lackluster kiss, I was like "huh?" about it.  I guess after watching that reunion scene kiss in BBM I expect more from on-screen kisses!  SB and KR seemed like they has zero passion and chemistry, and they have been in movies together before!  Weird ending.   

Offline Sophia

« Reply #1486 on: December 01, 2009, 07:18:46 pm »

sounds like you had a great time. Which character did you prefare in lake house? keanu or Sandra. I haven't seen any chose movies but next time i am in a mood for a movie I definitely will look out for them.

Offline Sammi

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #1487 on: December 01, 2009, 07:50:14 pm »
Which character did you prefare in lake house? keanu or Sandra.

Hmm not sure.  I like both actors but I felt like this movie does not showcase either one very well.  For the characters. I like the Keanu/Alex charcter better, only because we learn more about him, his character is more deeply revealed.

Offline Sophia

« Reply #1488 on: December 01, 2009, 08:04:33 pm »
lake house is it a love story or comedy ? haven´t seen so many love stories or comedy with keanu reevs. When I think of Keanu I think of action.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1489 on: December 01, 2009, 08:19:11 pm »
lake house is it a love story or comedy ? haven´t seen so many love stories or comedy with keanu reevs. When I think of Keanu I think of action.

Keanu has been in a few comedies (he first became famous in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure), and a few love stories (A Walk in the Clouds, Feeling Minnesota). So he gets points for trying different things, anyway.