Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022287 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #150 on: February 09, 2007, 08:55:46 am »
I rented Maurice and was wondering if it is a good film to see with a friend or by myself. Your recommendations?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #151 on: February 09, 2007, 08:57:33 am »
I rented Maurice and was wondering if it is a good film to see with a friend or by myself. Your recommendations?

It's a bit like BBM, in that if you're gonna watch it with someone it has to be someone like-minded 'cos it's very emotional in places  :'(
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #152 on: February 09, 2007, 11:33:33 am »
Barb, I saw "Venus" last weekend because you were so enthusiastic about it, and I loved it.  Peter O'Toole is just wonderful, as are all the actors.  It's both sad and funny, and I thought the direction by Roger Michell was very good, too--witty and illuminating.  I looked him up on IMDb and saw that he directed "Notting Hill" and "Changing Lanes" as well as a couple of films with Daniel Craig.

I'm so glad that Peter O'Toole found this great vehicle to remind us how good he IS, not just WAS.  It was a treat, too, to see Vanessa Redgrave in it, always so radiant no matter how frumpy and old they try to make her.  :)

Glad you loved it, Meryl.  It's a shame that this movie isn't getting more (or much) attention.  It really is a gem, as they say.  And another one that I find better than all five Oscar nominees.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2007, 11:39:06 am »
I was wondering whether or not to bother with 'In Search of Happiness'. I definitely will if you recommend it Mark!  :D

You're talking about the movie with Will Smith? (Not to nitpick, but that's "pursuit.") Anyway, yes, I was wondering whether or not to bother, too, but I found it very enjoyable. Mainly because of Will Smith. He's just the world's most likeable person. Could he ever play a bad guy, do you think?

Robin Williams successfully made the transition from good guy to bad guy, but then he was already getting pretty annoying as a good guy. Tom Hanks has kind of edged a bit toward badness, but has never quite made it all the way there.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2007, 11:51:13 am »
It's a bit like BBM, in that if you're gonna watch it with someone it has to be someone like-minded 'cos it's very emotional in places  :'(

Thank you for that recommendation!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2007, 09:46:17 pm »
Has anybody here seen Bobby? Emilio Esteve's latest flick. I saw it tonight and totally hated it. It was two hours of complete boredom, which was too bad given the topic of the movie. I thought it was too propagandist.  IMO the movie would've been a lot better if it took place after the murder of Bobby Kennedy, instead of before. 
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #156 on: February 11, 2007, 10:20:17 am »
I haven't seen it mostly because it got thumbs-down reviews like yours.  I noticed it only lasted in our biggest megaplex for three weeks.  It started out in the "Premiere" section, which is a balcony-only section with assigned seating that you pay extra for.  Only the most-promising/biggest money-making movies are shown up there because you have to pay double for a ticket.  It lasted a week up there, got bumped down to the minors for two more, then was gone.  That tells me something.  On the other hand, The Departed started out up there in November and is *still* showing up there, and at the full gamut of possible movie times.  Brokeback started up there in late December last year and lasted up there until the end of April.  A theater manager told me that so far, that's the longest any movie's run up there.  The Departed may give it a run for its money, especially if it wins Best Picture, but that's OK with me because I found it thoroughly entertaining and very well-done.

On a side note (ha ha), Crash didn't play up there at all until *after* it got nominated for Best Picture.  Then, it lasted two weeks up there and only another three downstairs.

But who's counting?

;D
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #157 on: February 11, 2007, 10:23:50 am »
OT but I saw the Vagina Monologues last nite with LauraGigs, it was great!! I laughed a lot. Don't know why, but it seemed very appropriate for Valentines.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2007, 11:55:30 am »
I didn't see "Bobby" for all the reasons Barb and Natali mentioned -- and also because I thought even the trailer was boring!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2007, 07:50:58 pm »
I went to see Little Children tonight and I totally recommend it. It is a haunting and thought provoking film. Well acted, well written, and well done. Kate Winslet was superb and so was Jackie Earle Haley (he's nominated for best supporting actor). He managed to make me hate his character and feel very sorry for him at the same time. Noah Emmerich's performance was also impressive and IMO he deserved a nomination too for his role. It's a must see. Go see it if you haven't.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.