Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1041651 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1550 on: January 13, 2010, 10:53:47 am »
In the meantime you should rent the Aussie film Somersault, that's when I discovered this hottie.  It also stars Abbey Cornish who was the reason for my renting it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381429/

And speaking of Australians, the other night I caught the TV show The Flight of the Conchords and it was the episode when Jemaine accidently sleeps with an Australian woman.  he wakes up and the first thing he sees is a poster for Men at Work, the blanket he's under has an Australian flag design, he tries to sneak out and next to the door there's a poster of kangaroos.  It's hilarious!  Of course his friends shun him because they can't accept the mixed race relationship.  "Think of the children you'll have,destined to go from city to city, looking for the perfect wave." 

:laugh:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1551 on: January 13, 2010, 11:00:19 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/13/movies/13avatar.html

For All Its Success, Will ‘Avatar’
Change the Industry?

From left, Jamie Bell, Andy Serkis, Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg at work on Mr. Spielberg's
“Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn,” which is due out in 2011.

By MICHAEL CIEPLY
Published: January 12, 2010

LOS ANGELES
— Just five months after Warner Brothers released its talking-picture sensation “The Jazz Singer” in October 1927, the studio was back in theaters with another talkie, the crime drama “Tenderloin.”

In today’s Hollywood, things take a little longer.

Even as James Cameron’s science-fiction epic “Avatar” continues to dazzle the audience with its visual wizardry, filmmakers and studios are struggling to figure out when, if ever, viewers can expect an equally striking on-screen experience. With its combination of immersive 3-D images and a sophisticated performance-capture technology, the movie has, as of Sunday, taken in $1.3 billion in worldwide ticket sales, much of it from 3-D screens.

Asked last week if any similarly ambitious film were in the works, Alec Shapiro, senior vice-president for sales and marketing of Sony Corporation’s content creation group, whose digital cameras were used on “Avatar,” was stumped. “Not to my knowledge,” he said. “I can’t, offhand, see another half-billion-dollar production.”

Mr. Cameron and his producing partner, Jon Landau, have talked of possible sequels to “Avatar.” But 20th Century Fox, which distributed the movie and helped underwrite production and marketing costs of about $460 million, has yet to announce plans for any successor to a film that was at least 15 years in the making.

In a research report published by Barclays Capital on Wednesday, Anthony J. DiClemente and George L. Hawkey called “Avatar” an “outlier”: a unique event that leaves the business environment around it largely intact.

“While ‘Avatar’ is likely a watershed for digital and 3-D technology,” they wrote, “it does not tell us that the underlying economics of the film business have changed.”

Mr. DiClemente and Mr. Hawkey predicted that “Avatar” would be a moneymaker, though they do not expect imitators anytime soon. In a detailed financial model of the film, they estimated that Fox and its partners would see slightly more than $1 billion in pretax profit from their investment in “Avatar.”

As for cinematic technology, the achievement of “Avatar” was not so much a single leap — like the one from silent film to sound — as an integration of complex filmmaking systems that allowed Mr. Cameron to combine live actors and computer animation in a relatively seamless, and believable, blend of fantasy and the real world. Critics and audiences noted a qualitative difference between what they saw on the screen in “Avatar” and what they saw in other recent films that used 3-D or motion-capture technology.

At its core was a 3-D “virtual” camera, developed by Mr. Cameron in partnership with the effects expert Vince Pace. The camera and its rigging systems allow a director to view actors within a computer-generated virtual environment, even as they are working on a “performance-capture” set that may have little apparent relationship to what appears on the screen.

Among the next films to use the same system will be “Tron: Legacy,” a cyberspace adventure due from the director Joseph Kosinski and Walt Disney this December. Another is “The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn,” directed by Steven Spielberg and set for release by Paramount Pictures and Sony Pictures in late 2011.

But it is not clear, for instance, that Mr. Spielberg’s use of the technology — and reliance on Weta Digital, the company made famous by Peter Jackson and that produced the effects for “Avatar” — will strike viewers in the same way as Mr. Cameron’s fantasy moon and blue aliens.

“We can’t talk about what it’s going to look like, because that process goes on for another two years, practically,” said Marvin Levy, Mr. Spielberg’s longtime spokesman.

(“A Christmas Carol” from the filmmaker Robert Zemeckis used motion capture and 3-D technology, but looked wholly different from “Avatar” and took in just $137 million in domestic theaters after Walt Disney released it in early November.)

So far, Guillermo del Toro, who is expected to direct the first of a two-part fantasy series based on “The Hobbit” for release in 2012, has stuck with a plan to film that movie with more conventional, 2-D techniques, even though Mr. Jackson — a powerful force behind both “Avatar” and “Tintin” — is among his producers.

Executives of Warner’s New Line Cinema unit, one of the studios behind the project, have in the past said that they believed that 2-D would be well suited to the sense of intimacy they anticipated from “The Hobbit” and its fantasy universe — and nothing about “Avatar” appears to have changed that plan.

Still, some filmmakers were sufficiently inspired, or jolted, by “Avatar” to shift gears. Shortly after seeing “Avatar” last month, for instance, Bryan Singer, who in the past directed summer blockbusters like “X-Men” and “Superman Returns,” asked New Line to consider using 3-D in filming his planned fantasy “Jack the Giant Killer.” The debate continues, according to people who have been briefed on the matter and spoke on condition of anonymity because of studio policy.

Katie Martin Kelley, a spokeswoman for Paramount, said that studio had made no decision about whether its planned “Transformers” and “Star Trek” sequels would make the leap to 3-D, possibly giving the audience another sampling of the kind of immersive world devised by Mr. Cameron.

Michael Bay, whose third “Transformers” film is set for release in July of next year, declined to be interviewed about his plans.

J. J. Abrams, who is developing another “Star Trek” film to be shot in the next couple of years, also declined to be interviewed about his plans for that franchise. But Paramount executives have already begun debating whether to shoot the next film in 3-D, even if that increases the cost and production difficulty, according to one person who was briefed on the talks but spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment.

Asked whether he would consider making a movie on the scale of “Avatar,” Brad Grey, the chairman of Paramount, said in an interview in early December, “With a lot of sleepless nights, I guess I would.”

But the “Transformers” and “Star Trek” sequels are at least a year and a half away. And a new “Spider-Man” episode is not due until 2012, now that Sony Pictures has canceled a planned fourth installment from the director Sam Raimi and the star Tobey Maguire, choosing instead to focus on a reinvention of the series, with a new director and cast.

That leaves a long stretch during which moviegoers, tantalized by “Avatar,” will be watching fantasy films like “Iron Man 2” from Marvel Entertainment and Paramount or “Jonah Hex” from Warner and Legendary Pictures, neither of which is as technologically ambitious as Mr. Cameron’s recent film.

Speaking by telephone last week, Mr. Landau said the “Avatar” innovations were perfectly suited to prospective projects like “Battle Angel,” a film that is based on a Japanese comic and that has been in development for Mr. Cameron to direct at Fox.

While he and Mr. Cameron have not settled on their next project, Mr. Landau said he believed a new, “Avatar”-like film could now be made in no more than the two years or so it takes to produce many effects-driven films, and for no more expense.

Asked how quickly the next such movie might arrive, Mr. Landau said, “I hope sooner, rather than later, and not just from us.”

Published: January 10, 2010
Timeline: 3-D Cinema
Ten milestones in 3-D film over the years.

From 1830 -  To 2004

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/01/10/movies/20100110-3dmovies-timeline.html
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1552 on: January 13, 2010, 11:54:07 pm »
Well, I succumbed and saw Avatar tonight.  As one of the few people who greatly disliked Titanic, I had low expectations.  I wasn't disappointed.

Of course, the visuals are stunning.  But in the service of this story?  Oy.

It really is Lion King meets Pocahontas meets Dances with Wolves meets Iron Man (!), et cetera ad infinitum.

I've decided the Na'vi have exactly Barbie's body proportions.  Too bad they cut the sex scene, it was perfectly set up.

I swear I heard Sam W. utter some Aussie vowels from time to time.  And Giovanni Ribisi really can overact!

It's not often that I agree with David Brooks.  :-\

Bonus:  the theatre had an enormous headshot of Jake as Prince of Persia with the word "Courage".

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1553 on: January 14, 2010, 12:33:31 am »

I've decided the Na'vi have exactly Barbie's body proportions.  Too bad they cut the sex scene, it was perfectly set up.

No, not exactly...they have wider nose bridges!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1554 on: January 14, 2010, 12:35:26 am »
I saw a couple of really good 3-D movies last year. One was called Earth and the other one was called Up. Too bad they seem to have gotten lost in the shuffle.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1555 on: January 14, 2010, 12:50:38 am »
I saw a couple of really good 3-D movies last year. One was called Earth and the other one was called Up. Too bad they seem to have gotten lost in the shuffle.

I loved Up  and posted lots of pics from the movie over at Kerry's Komedy Klub in Anything Goes a couple of months ago. I wasn't sure where to post them at the time, so decided to post them at the Komedy Klub because they're cartoons. Most of the pics I posted feature Dug, the talking dog. I absolutely fell in love with Dug!  :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1556 on: January 14, 2010, 12:50:51 am »

I don't think Up has. I bet it will be nominated for an animation Oscar, and possibly win. I've never heard of Earth, though.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1557 on: January 14, 2010, 01:00:02 am »
Well, I succumbed and saw Avatar tonight.  As one of the few people who greatly disliked Titanic, I had low expectations.  I wasn't disappointed.

Of course, the visuals are stunning.  But in the service of this story?  Oy.

It really is Lion King meets Pocahontas meets Dances with Wolves meets Iron Man (!), et cetera ad infinitum.

I swear I heard Sam W. utter some Aussie vowels from time to time.  And Giovanni Ribisi really can overact!

It's not often that I agree with David Brooks.  :-\

Bonus:  the theatre had an enormous headshot of Jake as Prince of Persia with the word "Courage".

I too could hear Sam's Australian accent throughout the movie, Paul. I didn't mind, though. I was cool with it. Anything Sam does is fine with me!  Sigh!  :P   ;)   :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1558 on: January 15, 2010, 12:39:14 pm »

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/avatar_killed_spiderman_4_sam.html

1/15/10 at 11:15 AM

Vulture Exclusive:
What Really Killed Spider-Man 4?

Photo-illustration: Jed Egan; Photos: 20th Century Fox (Avatar), Columbia Pictures (Spider-Man), iStockphoto.

The Green Goblin couldn't kill Spider-Man. Nor could the Sandman, Dr. Octopus, or even that anticlimactic black goo from Spider-Man 3. So how was Tobey Maguire's webslinger finally squashed? Oddly enough, insiders say it was Avatar.

Director Sam Raimi isn't commenting on exactly why he pulled out of Spider-Man 4;  Columbia execs are mum, too. But production insiders tell Vulture that after seeing James Cameron's fully immersive film, Raimi wanted all sorts of envelope-pushing CGI (though not 3-D, which the studio was considering). Such effects would take more money and, just as crucially, more time. But the studio, whose corporate parent Sony must answer to Wall Street, had set a strict May 6, 2011 release date, and missing that date would mean depriving Sony of a billion dollars in revenue. “Every movie is a power struggle,” explains one producer on the Sony lot familiar with the fracas. “But the tipping point was that Sam wanted to do certain things that would push the envelope in terms of [special effects] ‘toys’ and other visual stimulation, and Sony didn’t feel that was essential to the franchise.”

The studio is obviously upset about losing such a huge tent pole, and yet script issues with Raimi had them nervous about the project anyway. After three different writers, the Spider-Man 4  script was still a schizophrenic mess, and according to a knowledgeable production insider, the Spider-Man story line championed by Raimi “threatened to torpedo the whole franchise.”

Condensed, it went something like this: Peter Parker gets over MJ, finds a new girl, falls in love. But: Peter also discovers her father is actually the Vulture, a naughty green guy with wings to be played by John Malkovich. Peter is torn between the love of his new lady and taking down the Vulture. Being a Spandex tight-ass, he decides to take down the Vulture, and kills him. This patricide goes down poorly with Peter’s new fiancée, and she rejects him. Despondent, Peter decides to abandon his superpowers, and Movie No. 4 ends with Peter Parker throwing away his Spider-Man mask, and audiences wondering if they are watching Superman II.

Sony’s execs didn’t much care for this dour story line, and its consumer-products division especially detested the villain who, let’s face it, is pushing 60. (But hey, John Malkovich, from one Vulture to another, we think you look great! Really!) Columbia’s toy partner, Hasbro, also worried that suggesting its main character was packing it in might hurt future toy sales. And these days, toys are a key revenue stream, and demand far more forethought than that given to the scripts of $200 million movies. "This is piecemeal, old-school Hollywood mentality," says Jeff Gomez, President and CEO of Starlight Runner Entertainment, which advises studios on how to define their franchises' universes and mythologies for maximum toysploitation. (Past clients: Pirates of the Carribean, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and — wait for it — Avatar !) "Spider-Man belongs to a millennial generation that demands continuity, and that requires long-term and careful design. None of that has existed for Spider-Man since the second movie."

Columbia was about to bring in — yet again — screenwriter Alvin Sargent (who wrote 2 and 3 and is also the husband of former Spider-Man producer Laura Ziskin) to fix things, but by that time it was too late: Raimi had become convinced that even if the script were perfect, he still couldn't hit Sony’s immovable date, and he was out.

Now the studio is scrambling to find something to play in the summer of next year, but it also may be relieved to be rid of such a creatively muddled financial burden. Director Raimi and star Tobey Maguire were being paid a fifth of the film’s gross, and neither seemed to have a clue as to what story, exactly, they were telling.

The planned reboot with younger talent will be far, far cheaper. You can almost imagine Columbia chairman Amy Pascal screaming at her pool of assistants: “Somebody get me that kid from Twilight  on the phone!"

“Which one?”

“Any of ‘em!”
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1559 on: January 15, 2010, 12:55:35 pm »

You have at least some company, Paul. I was so put off by all the hype and mania over Titanic that to this day I dislike it without ever even having seen it.

Of course, I also have a visceral dislike of Leonardo diCaprio, so. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.