Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022335 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2007, 08:28:29 pm »
It's rather overplotted, with a fair number of twists and turns and convenient coincidences that require some suspension of belief.  Family secrets, ghosts and mistaken identity all figure in the story.  In the hands of, say, Mel Brooks, it would make a good slapstick comedy.  Almodovar makes it more like a Spanish Woody Allen film--you laugh more because of the characters than the situations. 

I did like Volver, and very much. But I think this movie was not really suitable for the international public. IMO, it is too deep rooted in the culture of Spain, especially of La Mancha. It's really about the women, and the strange, but strong-tied relationship they develop, mostly to protect each other. They can fight and grow apart, but in the end they go back to each other. They also have a different understanding of death. I went to see it with two friends whose parents are from small towns of La Mancha. They live in Madrid, but they still have strong ties with their respectives towns, and visit them often. They thought the movie's portrayal of La Mancha women is very accurate. Of course, their lives are different to Raimunda's, but in general, they felt very represented in the movie.

Penelope Curz's Raimunda is based on Almodovar's own aunt, who was also a Raimunda. Part of the plot is based on real-life events.

This is the type of movie you can't see from an American point of view, IMO that is.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 08:37:35 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2007, 12:05:40 am »
I did like Volver, and very much. But I think this movie was not really suitable for the international public. IMO, it is too deep rooted in the culture of Spain, especially of La Mancha. It's really about the women, and the strange, but strong-tied relationship they develop, mostly to protect each other. They can fight and grow apart, but in the end they go back to each other. They also have a different understanding of death. I went to see it with two friends whose parents are from small towns of La Mancha. They live in Madrid, but they still have strong ties with their respectives towns, and visit them often. They thought the movie's portrayal of La Mancha women is very accurate. Of course, their lives are different to Raimunda's, but in general, they felt very represented in the movie.

Penelope Curz's Raimunda is based on Almodovar's own aunt, who was also a Raimunda. Part of the plot is based on real-life events.

This is the type of movie you can't see from an American point of view, IMO that is.

I guess that's so that an American wouldn't get as much out of it, but I didn't really have a problem believing the relationships or the supernatural part.  It was just that some of the plot twists seemed pretty contrived.  I can't go into much detail without spoiling it for others, but I hope you know what I mean.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2007, 09:28:21 am »
WOOHOO!!! Forest Whitaker won the Best Actor BAFTA!! Go Forest!!

The BAFTAs sure have great taste - remember thay gave the statue to Jakey last year?

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #163 on: February 12, 2007, 12:03:11 pm »
Yes, they have great taste.  Except for not giving one to Heath and Michelle, that is.  But I'll give them snaps for at least getting it right where Jake and the movie, screenplay, and director were concerned.

I was glad to see Forest win.  As I've said before, he's one juggernaut who deserves everything he gets and then some.  I've just about never seen a performance like his - legendary.  The only film performances I can compare it to are Judi Dench in "Mrs. Brown," Ralph Fiennes in "Schindler's List," and Heath Ledger in "Brokeback Mountain."

And unlike Phillip Seymour Hoffman, I feel like Forest is just gettin' started.

(Sorry, btw - but I appear to be about the only person on the planet who thinks Marlon Brando, James Dean, and Sean Penn are vastly over-rated, so I didn't include their penultimate performances in that list.)

No more beans!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2007, 12:24:17 pm »
I guess that's so that an American wouldn't get as much out of it, but I didn't really have a problem believing the relationships or the supernatural part.  It was just that some of the plot twists seemed pretty contrived.  I can't go into much detail without spoiling it for others, but I hope you know what I mean.

I thought the plot twist were plot devices. I didn't see them as an important part of the movie. I think it was more about the relationship. That's why it is called Volver. It means coming back.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2007, 12:48:31 pm »
I thought the plot twist were plot devices. I didn't see them as an important part of the movie. I think it was more about the relationship. That's why it is called Volver. It means coming back.

Yes, they were devices.  But once you accept them as such, they work well to help the story achieve that "coming back" theme. "Volver" applies in many ways to the story and characters, don't you think?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2007, 11:18:17 pm »
I just got done watching "sherrybaby."  Wow.  What a great character study.  And Maggie is so wonderful.

I've known two heroin addicts in my time.  Both ended up meeting early ends.  I totally believed her struggle to stay clean.  That anyone can come back from that particular addiction and lead any semblance of a normal life is extraordinary, and yet she makes you believe it's possible.  Junkies are a breed apart from your run-of-the mill addicts, and I've known and know all kinds.

The movie is difficult to watch, as they say, at times because Sherry is so self-destructive.  You know she's better than what she cracks herself up to be, so it's that much more painful to see her fail, and fail so spectacularly.  What is the line in the song...   Every junkie's like a setting sun.

It's ultimately a very interesting story about family relationships, too.  The good, the bad, and the ugly.  And it's one that stays with you.  I find myself still rooting for her (and worrying for her) from the point at which the story left off on as if she is a real person.  Kinda like some other fictional (?) character I could name.
No more beans!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2007, 09:28:02 pm »
I saw "Amazing Grace" this weekend and really enjoyed it.  I mainly went for the period flavor and the plethora of terrific English actors I saw in the previews.  It's the story of William Wilberforce's battle to make the slave trade illegal in Britain in the early 1800's.  I am a big fan of the Patrick O'Brian novels set in the same period, the ones that "Master and Commander" is based on, so I wanted to drink in that atmosphere.

The settings and costumes are first rate, from lovely English estates to the dirty, congested docks in London to the halls of Parliament.  Ioan Gruffudd was very good as Wilberforce, and it was especially nice to see Albert Finney and Michael Gambon in lesser roles.  The camera loved every wrinkle in their glorious old faces.  Rufus Sewell and Ciaran Hinds also had good parts.

Although they tried hard to approach each scene interestingly, the screenwriters focussed unrelentingly on Wilberforce's mission, so the film was centered on politics and religion.  Still, there are lots of human touches, and the ending is quite emotional, if a little corny.  I recommend it, and probably you should see it soon, since it won't be around too long.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2007, 08:29:38 am »
'amazing Grace' is next on my must-see list, so thanks for the info Meryl!

I saw 'Notes on a Scandal' a couple of days ago and highly recommend it. Judi Dench is fantastic - a very, very complex performance and most deserving of the Oscar nom. And anyone who's ever taught kids for a living will be chuckling and nodding in agreement at the first 10-15 minutes! :)
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2007, 11:03:20 am »
I saw "Amazing Grace" this weekend and really enjoyed it.

Good to know, Meryl! I was going to probably skip it, but with your endorsement I will try to get to it.

I saw Breach this weekend. It was quite good. I always love Chris Cooper (especially in Adaptation!). Ryan Phillipe was pretty good, too, though having just seen Half Nelson a couple of days earlier, I couldn't help wishing that if they were going to cast a Ryan they'd have picked Ryan Gosling instead.

Half Nelson was great -- right up until the time I fell asleep (I started the DVD way too late). But Ryan Gosling was fantastic and so was Shareeka Epps. I also finally saw Proof, which I'm sure most of you have already seen. I liked it pretty well. I was a little uncertain about Gwyneth in the lead role -- I'd seen it on stage with the wonderful Mary Louise Parker, and couldn't imagine anyone else in the part -- but I thought she was fine. And Jake, it goes without saying, was excellent.