Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1040783 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1690 on: August 19, 2010, 07:25:52 pm »
Did you see The Daily Show last night?  Great segment on EPL by Lewis Black:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/

Click on Lewis Black's picture.  ;D

Thanks, Meryl.

Here's another review:  caché couché cliché.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1691 on: August 22, 2010, 10:12:06 am »
I think I'm going to love the 'new' Francis Ford Coppolla!   I haven't seen his first film, YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH but I just watched TETRO and really enjoyed it.

"Awkward, but full of life. Awkward, but impassioned - like something written by a young person. Let's look at "Tetro" as the new Coppola's second film and greet this as the first major work of a promising young filmmaker." - Mick Lasalle

Full Review: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2009/06/19/MVKE188CF8.DTL#ixzz0xLLM9Nl3

New discovery Alden Ehrenreich is a young actor to watch.

Maybe it's time for Martin Scorsese to "reboot his creativity" as well.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1692 on: August 22, 2010, 07:21:36 pm »
Just got back from watching "Inception" in IMAX.  Yoiks.  Brilliant movie, but I was confused most of the time and kept wishing it would be over already.  The tension got to be a bit much.  Seems like a heckuva lot of trouble to go to to save your corporation, but I guess it had to hinge on something.  :P  I liked the cast and thought it was funny that they kept playing "No, je ne regrette rien" to wake themselves up, what with Edith Piaf (Marion Cotillard) playing the wife.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1693 on: September 04, 2010, 06:07:30 pm »
Took my mother to see E P L. It was watchable, though it seemed kind of long even when broken up into the three segments. Don't go on an empty stomach! You'll get really hungry watching people eat. Julia Roberts had left behind many of her irritating mannerisms, even the horse laugh. I enjoyed the Brokeism when the Brazilian love interest explained why he called a telephone caller "darling": it was his son. He explained that he called all his children and pets darling and, yes, in time, he came to call Roberts (Liz) darling too!!

There was better food photography, scenes of people gushing over food, and shots of Italian men in I am Love. Plus Tilda Swinton too, an actor who makes Julia Roberts seem like a talk show host.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1694 on: September 10, 2010, 04:19:34 pm »
Another thing that was a thrill when I watched Eat Pray Love was hearing two (2!) Neil Young songs!! One was Heart of Gold. I don't recall which of the hundreds of worthy Young songs was the other. They didn't seem dated at all.

My family went to see the new Robert Duvall vehicle Get Low Tuesday night. It also featured Sissy Spacek and a new young actor who played Bobby, a funeral home worker. The funeral home owner was Bill Murray, who was excellent, but more subdued than usual. I kept getting the name of the movie wrong, calling it Down Low, much to the amusement of my spouse.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1695 on: September 10, 2010, 04:27:36 pm »
Another thing that was a thrill when I watched Eat Pray Love was hearing two (2!) Neil Young songs!! One was Heart of Gold. I don't recall which of the hundreds of worthy Young songs was the other. They didn't seem dated at all.

The other song was "Harvest Moon." I watched about half an hour of EPL when my son and I went to the theater together, saw different movies, and mine got out earlier.

I agree that Neil Young's music has remained remarkably undated. And of all the '60s rock musicians who are still working, Neil is the one who seems to have remained most relevant and with-it over the years.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1696 on: September 23, 2010, 10:35:44 pm »
I saw Cairo Time tonight. A very appealing movie and Patricia Clarkson was wonderful in it. I haven't seen her often before but I loved her in Pieces of April a couple of years ago as a woman recovering from cancer. In this movie, the theme is much like I Am Love except in Egypt rather than Italy. Clarkson plays a woman who travels to Cairo to have a vacation with her husband, who works there. But when she arrives, her husband is away on business in Gaza, and sends a friend to host her until he can get back. Clarkson is entranced by the culture and timeless aura of Cairo and its people. I highly recommend it!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1697 on: September 30, 2010, 09:06:52 pm »

I'm finally watching this amazing Austrian film that I've read so much about.  It rates a well deserved 96% at Rotten Tomatoes.  Why it didn't win the Oscar for best foreign film is beyond me. One of the best films I've seen in quite a while, a must see!

from Roger Ebert's review:
How often, after seeing a thriller, do you continue to think about the lives of its characters? If you open up most of them, it’s like looking inside a wristwatch. Opening this one is like heart surgery.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090805/REVIEWS/908069995
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:46:02 pm by oilgun »

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1698 on: October 05, 2010, 04:07:02 pm »
The other song was "Harvest Moon." I watched about half an hour of EPL when my son and I went to the theater together, saw different movies, and mine got out earlier.

I agree that Neil Young's music has remained remarkably undated. And of all the '60s rock musicians who are still working, Neil is the one who seems to have remained most relevant and with-it over the years.

Harvest Moon was covered by a chanteuse and Garrison Keillor on A Prairie Home Companion this past weekend. I liked it even better than when Neil sang it!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1699 on: October 07, 2010, 05:28:35 am »

A privileged Montreal teen believes he’s the reincarnation of Russian revolutionary Leon Trotsky and acts accordingly in high-concept teen comedy The Trotsky, from Canadian writer-director Jacob Tierney (Twist).

Sharing his radical hero’s birth name, Leon Bronstein (Jay Baruchel) keeps a bright red checklist in his bedroom that outlines his destiny. It includes ‘get exiled (twice), marry an older woman (preferably named Alexandra) and get assassinated (hopefully somewhere warm).’

After Leon organizes a hunger strike at his father’s garment factory, his capitalist père (Saul Rubinek) cuts off funds for private school. Enrolling at a public high school for his senior year, Leon brings new meaning to the words ‘student union’ – and conceives a social-justice theme for the school prom.

While fighting fascism as embodied by detention-dispensing Mrs. Davis (Domini Blythe) and dictatorial principal Berkhoff (Colm Feore), Leon must also battle student apathy among his peers, who’ve never heard of collective action. As his antics get him in trouble with the law, he meets retired activist turned disillusioned McGill professor Frank (Michael Murphy) and his gorgeous former student – named Alexandra, natch (Emily Hampshire) – who is the requisite nine years older than Leon.

A funny and very sweet film.  Jay Baruchel is hilarious and charming.  I laughed out loud several times. He has a recurring dream in which he's the baby in the famous baby-carriage-rolling-down-the-steps scene from Battleship Potemkin, lol!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:13:32 pm by PQ Zombie »