Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025536 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #2070 on: February 04, 2015, 09:40:57 am »
Thanks, Gil.  Looks like another good film year coming up.

BTW, I saw U-Carmen eKhayelitsha on a plane; it featured the fiercest Carmen I've ever seen!

And, Queen of the Desert is a fascinating biography, and should make a good film.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2071 on: February 04, 2015, 09:42:00 am »
These films all sound good except one. Fifty Shades of Grey seems really out of place on this list.

I can't believe they made a movie out of that god-awful  book.  LOL

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2072 on: February 04, 2015, 09:43:08 am »

Oh, I can believe they made a movie out of a god-awful book that sells eight gazillion copies.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2073 on: February 04, 2015, 10:23:21 am »
Oh, I can believe they made a movie out of a god-awful book that sells eight gazillion copies.

You bet! It's gonna make a shit-load of money.

I wish I owned a piece of it!  :laugh:

Or, at least, somebody expects it's gonna make a shit-load of money.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2074 on: February 04, 2015, 07:17:07 pm »
-Ian McKellen plays Sherlock as a bee-keeping retiree in his 90s looking back over his career in
Mr Holmes. Bill ‘God and Monsters’ Condon directs.

-Having made his name with the low-budget Weekend, British director Andrew Haigh scales up
with 45 Years, a study of a long-married couple with explosive secrets. Tom Courtenay and
Charlotte Rampling star

-Helen Mirren and Ryan Reynolds star in Woman in Gold, a based-on-truth study
of a Holocaust survivor and her lawyer who are fighting to reclaim a Klimt painting after it was stolen
by the Nazis. Simon Curtis directs

-Werner Herzog has rounded up a strong cast – James Franco, Nicole Kidman,
Robert Pattinson, Damian Lewis – for Queen of the Desert, a biopic of traveller/diplomat
Gertrude Bell, who was instrumental in the creation of Iraq in the 1920s[/i]

These are the ones I'm really looking forward to. In addition, a new version of Frankenstein and a Johnny Depp film called Mortdecai.

"...and some obscure, little-known film
about a student journalist who interviews a rich businessman"
haha, they're referring to 50 Shades of here. I recall that taking on this film changed the whole structure of Focus Features and didn't James Schamus suddenly exit right in the middle of it? Plus, doing 50SOG meant that FF couldn't take on the indie films it was previously noted for. It was a sad business and I definitely plan to boycott 50SOG because of it!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2075 on: February 05, 2015, 02:19:18 am »
I love good movie criticism. It is usually well written. And of movie review writing, the negative ones are often the best! Check this out:
http://www.avclub.com/article/20-worst-films-2014-212689

I’ve seen many of the titles on several other “Worst Film” lists. Especially Atlas Shrugged III, Saving Christmas & Left Behind. I dodged 20 bullets because I haven’t seen any of the films listed. But then, I’m very selective when picking a film to watch so I rarely see bad films.

It’s sad to see so many big names among these turkeys. What happened to Atom Egoyan? He hasn’t made a good film since 1999’s Felicia’s Journey. And Razzie winner Nicolas Cage’s films have been hit & miss - mostly miss – since Wild at Heart way back in 1990. I guess he says yes to everything he’s offered.  Same with Robert DeNiro, he’s been mostly slumming since 1997.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #2076 on: February 05, 2015, 02:33:14 am »
Thanks, Gil.  Looks like another good film year coming up.

BTW, I saw U-Carmen eKhayelitsha on a plane; it featured the fiercest Carmen I've ever seen!

And, Queen of the Desert is a fascinating biography, and should make a good film.

You’re very welcome.

RE: Life: I have a copy of Stark's book so I'm a bit worried about the casting of Dane Dehaan as James Dean. I don't mind that he doesn't look like him, it's just that he looks like a teenager – a kind of Gilbert Grape Dicaprio - while Dean looked older for his age. We'll see. I never did see James Franco's James Dean but I suspect he was pretty good in the role.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #2077 on: February 05, 2015, 03:07:23 am »

But it stars the adorable Jamie Dornan who is so good as the serial killer in The Fall.

You have to watch him on the Graham Norton Show as he explains how he learned how to walk, it's hilarious:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #2078 on: February 05, 2015, 09:39:35 am »

You bet! It's gonna make a shit-load of money.

I wish I owned a piece of it!  :laugh:

Or, at least, somebody expects it's gonna make a shit-load of money.  ;D

I won't lie, I wish I had a piece of it too.  LOL   I was just thinking there are so many better books out there that could be made into movies.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #2079 on: February 05, 2015, 09:40:26 am »

But it stars the adorable Jamie Dornan who is so good as the serial killer in The Fall.

You have to watch him on the Graham Norton Show as he explains how he learned how to walk, it's hilarious:

I'll check out the video at home tonight.   And yes, he is adorable.