Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022326 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #310 on: October 19, 2007, 12:58:38 am »
Happy birthday, Del! Good to see you back. How was Paris?

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #311 on: October 19, 2007, 01:01:43 am »
Happy birthday, Del! Good to see you back. How was Paris?

Thanks!  Paris was nice.  I'll be updating my 'American Girl in Paris' thread shortly.  Stay tuned.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #312 on: October 19, 2007, 12:04:34 pm »
I just received my copy of Gus Van Sant's first film, Mala Noche, which Criterion recently released on DVD for the first time.  I'm pretty excited and hope to watch it on the weekend.  It's supposed to be pretty good, has anyone here seen it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089537/

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #313 on: October 20, 2007, 03:37:48 am »
Anyone seen "Michael Clayton"? I've heard generally good things about it, but nothing very specific. It's on at my local cinema this weekend.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #314 on: October 20, 2007, 01:25:05 pm »
Anyone seen "Michael Clayton"? I've heard generally good things about it, but nothing very specific. It's on at my local cinema this weekend.

I've not seen it, but 3 friends of mine have, and none were impressed by it.

moremojo

« Reply #315 on: October 24, 2007, 10:04:10 am »
Los Angeles-based film critic David Ehrenstein, who loathes Brokeback Mountain, has nothing but the highest praise for the new film I'm Not There, which features Heath Ledger as Bob Dylan:

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/a_film_by/message/46589

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #316 on: October 24, 2007, 04:51:51 pm »

I saw it a couple weeks ago and really liked it, myself.  And I am not a George Clooney fan.  So, for what it's worth...

No more beans!

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #317 on: October 28, 2007, 04:14:33 pm »
I just saw Into the Wild and found it quite well done, with great performances from Emile Hirsch, Hal Holbrook, and Catherine Keener in particular.   Sean Penn did a great job of directing.   You might have read the book of the same name by Jon Krakauer. 
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #318 on: October 28, 2007, 04:28:43 pm »
I saw it a couple weeks ago and really liked it, myself.  And I am not a George Clooney fan.  So, for what it's worth...

I liked Michael Clayton too.  I give it 3.5/5 stars.  I've seen quite a few movies the past couple of weeks.  I had high expectations for We Own the Night - but 3/5 I guess - it was good, but when you've seen Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Wahlberg at their best (say Walk the Line, The Departed), it seemed like they were phoning it in.

The best by far I thought was Gone Baby Gone, directed by Ben Affleck and starring Casey Affleck, Michelle Monaghan, Ed Harris, and Morgan Freeman.  It's based on a novel by Dennis Lehane (Mystic River) and set in Boston.  I loved the book, so I went into it with a great deal of trepidation.  The adaptation was extremely well-done and Casey becomes Patrick Kenzie.  The rough character of the Dorchester neighborhood was completely convincing for me.  5/5 for me.

30 Days of Night 2/5 - could have been good (Josh Hartnett was) but the villains were one-dimensional and not very scary.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #319 on: October 28, 2007, 04:40:24 pm »
I'm going to a movie in about an hour: either Michael Clayton or Dan in Real Life. Those are the two best choices at my local theater. I'm leaning toward the latter, simply because it seems light and I could really use some lightness right now.

This is similar to a dilemma I had about a year and a half ago: Brokeback Mountain or Munich or The New World? I chose BBM almost by chance. The rest is history.

Whatever I pick, I'll report back here afterward. That is, unless I have become an obsessive devotee of the Michael Clayton or Dan in Real Life message boards  ;D (highly doubtful)!