Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022345 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #330 on: October 30, 2007, 04:18:04 pm »
Yes, this is true. And maybe being a bitch appeals to her, who knows?

Maybe, but she could play the bitch in a GOOD movie.  I think she should explore roles in smaller independent films.  I mean it's not like she needs the the big paychecks anymore.  I'm at the point where I feel some of these "older" stars should just retire rather than coast through tired roles in mediocre movies. 

For example, when's the last time Nicholson, Deniro and Pacino have done something they can be proud of?  Are they that greedy that they'll do anything to keep working?  Maybe they just feel that they've paid their dues and now they can just do crap and watch the money roll in?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #331 on: October 30, 2007, 04:32:17 pm »
Very good points, oilgun. We are in the 1977 round in the movie game and have posted "Annie Hall" and "Looking for Mr. Goodbar." Remember Diane Keaton in those?

Jack Nicholson in The Departed (2006) was good. I didn't see DeNiro in The Good Shepherd so I can't comment on that, but Meet The Fockers? Please.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #332 on: October 30, 2007, 04:38:29 pm »
Maybe, but she could play the bitch in a GOOD movie.  I think she should explore roles in smaller independent films.  I mean it's not like she needs the the big paychecks anymore.  I'm at the point where I feel some of these "older" stars should just retire rather than coast through tired roles in mediocre movies. 

For example, when's the last time Nicholson, Deniro and Pacino have done something they can be proud of?  Are they that greedy that they'll do anything to keep working?  Maybe they just feel that they've paid their dues and now they can just do crap and watch the money roll in?

what did you think of The Departed?

(whoops - I see Leslie beat me to the question!)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline oilgun

« Reply #333 on: October 30, 2007, 04:41:35 pm »
Very good points, oilgun. We are in the 1977 round in the movie game and have posted "Annie Hall" and "Looking for Mr. Goodbar." Remember Diane Keaton in those?

Jack Nicholson in The Departed (2006) was good. I didn't see DeNiro in The Good Shepherd so I can't comment on that, but Meet The Fockers? Please.

L

To be honest, I didn't think much of Nicholson in The Departed, lol!  I think I saw The Good Shepherd, that's the one with Matt Damon right? For some reason I don't even remember DeNiro being in it, lol!  Must be the early onset thing, plus I really didn't like that film.  Anyway Meryl Streep & Sigourney Weaver still manage to find interesting roles.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #334 on: October 30, 2007, 04:50:05 pm »
what did you think of The Departed?

(whoops - I see Leslie beat me to the question!)

I really enjoyed the film but although I wasn't impressed with Nicholson's performance at least it's in a good film so I'll give him that one, lol!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #335 on: October 30, 2007, 05:14:05 pm »
I really enjoyed the film but although I wasn't impressed with Nicholson's performance at least it's in a good film so I'll give him that one, lol!

I agree. Nicholson's performance was no more than third best in that film, after Leonard DiCaprio and Matt Damon, and some might argue he was also below Alec Baldwin and Mark Wahlberg and Vera Farmiga and maybe even Martin Sheen. He was a caricature of himself.

"About Schmidt" was pretty good, though.

I think good roles are few and far between for older men and even fewer and far betweener for older women. What good roles there are all seem to go to Streep and Weaver.

The new trend, I guess, is for older actresses to take roles as gritty, interesting characters in TV dramas. Glen Close and  Holly Hunter and Kyra Sedgewick (and is there another one?) have all done this. I haven't seen any of those programs, but I've heard the characters are more interesting than most movie characters.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #336 on: October 30, 2007, 09:44:01 pm »
I hated The Family Stone. Did Dan in Real Life have the "horrible nasty mother who was dying from cancer and everyone thought she was wonderful character" (ie, Diane Keaton in TFS)? I hope not. How about the obligatory perfect gay couple with their adopted child?

What an awful movie that was. Ugh. It gives me creeps just thinking about it. And I wasted money to see this in a theater! Ack!

L

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!! 
I despised this movie for all the reasons you guys say and for more - fucked up mother, the 'won't leave me' attitude was extremely creepy, and a cast of characters with fucked up ethical values - a sister who has no compunctions whatsoever about seducing her sister's fiance.  Which would be bad enough if it weren't for the fact that the fiance is a loser, about as trustworthy as low-life crack addict and faithful as a bull in rut, apt to stray the moment a new blonde walks into view, the fiancee is one of those women who plays drunk when upset so she can fall into bed with the nearest man who listens to her whiny bitching and excuse herself with "But I was drunk!"

Gods this movie was so bad.  The only reason I had to sit through it to the end was because a friend had treated me.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #337 on: October 30, 2007, 09:58:03 pm »
Mark Wahlberg was the best thing in The Departed, IMO. And he did get nominated for an Academy Award.

Changing the subject completely, over on the movie game we just played "Days of Heaven" which reminded me of this fabulous movie. I saw it in the theater....oh my god....30 years ago! Yikes! But it has just been re-released on DVD, all remastered and beautiful.

Any other Days of Heaven fans around here?

L

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #338 on: October 30, 2007, 11:09:24 pm »
Changing the subject completely, over on the movie game we just played "Days of Heaven" which reminded me of this fabulous movie. I saw it in the theater....oh my god....30 years ago! Yikes! But it has just been re-released on DVD, all remastered and beautiful.

Me! I saw it twice, so long ago it was still in theaters (though the second time was a college-town revival, I think). The second time I knew it was going to be such a beautiful visual experience that I brought in a sprig of lilac with me so it would be beautiful smell-wise, too.

(OT, isn't there a better word than "smell-wise"? What's the smell equivalent of aural, visual, tactile?)

Back for just a moment to The Departed, personally I loved Leo. And Matt was pretty good, too. But Mark Wahlberg ... well, I used to like him and I thought he was good in it, but I've never felt quite the same about him since reading his homophobic comments in an interview a few months ago.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #339 on: October 30, 2007, 11:09:59 pm »
Mark Wahlberg was the best thing in The Departed, IMO. And he did get nominated for an Academy Award.

L

As you know from HHH,  I just bought the DVD today!  I saw it i guess thirty years ago and never since so I'm looking forward to getting re-aquainted with it.  I love the cover of the DVD, is Criterion the only company that actually hires a graphic designer for their dvd covers?  Everyone else seems to slap on Big Floating Heads on the cover. I guess they are appealing to the lowest common denominator (*Cough* Walmart *cough*)

Ugly DVD covers are a pet peeve of mine.  I'll actually NOT buy some DVDs if I find the cover too repulsive.  For example, I loved Little Children but I can't bring myself to buy the dvd with that god-awful cover, especially since the movie poster was so great.