Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022227 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #420 on: December 04, 2007, 09:17:52 pm »
Please don't hate me, but I'm not the biggest DDL fan in the world.  The only thing he's ever done in which I couldn't see him acting was "In the Name of the Father."  I'll admit I've never seen "My Left Foot."  However, he looked *very* impressive in this trailer.

I'd love to see that Tom Cavanaugh movie.  I *loved* him in "Ed."  He did a guest stint on "Scrubs" recently, though, in which he looked worse for the wear.  I fear he's got some serious addiction problems.  Too bad, but I honestly don't know how as many of these folks avoid it as they do, sadly.
No more beans!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #421 on: December 04, 2007, 09:51:51 pm »
Please don't hate me, but I'm not the biggest DDL fan in the world.  The only thing he's ever done in which I couldn't see him acting was "In the Name of the Father."  I'll admit I've never seen "My Left Foot."  However, he looked *very* impressive in this trailer.

DDL has had a special place in my heart ever since My Beautiful Laundrette . His kiss with his male co-star is still one of the best in the history of cinema!  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #422 on: December 04, 2007, 11:55:26 pm »
DDL has always left me a little cold, too. But I loved him in Gangs of New York.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #423 on: December 05, 2007, 12:01:49 am »
What about his turn as Hawkeye in The Last of the Mohicans? I had a very stressful day today and at one point I imagined him intoning "Stay alive, no matter what occurs!"

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #424 on: December 05, 2007, 12:24:39 am »
What about his turn as Hawkeye in The Last of the Mohicans? I had a very stressful day today and at one point I imagined him intoning "Stay alive, no matter what occurs!"

Oh yeah, that was his hunkiest role!  Loved it.  :P

I also loved him in A Room with a View as the prissy, self-adoring Cecil.  He was a hoot!  :laugh:
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #425 on: December 05, 2007, 12:36:34 am »
Oh yeah, that was his hunkiest role!  Loved it.  :P

abs-solutely!! And in Room With A View, he was just so precious, holding his shoes!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #426 on: December 05, 2007, 01:07:36 pm »
After doing LAST OF THE MOHICANS (1992),  he played NEWLAND ARCHER in THE AGE OF INNOCENCE (1993).  Talk about a role switch.  I thought he and Michelle Pfeiffer were great in that film. Come to find out, he almost turned the role down as he thought it was too "English." This was reported recently and it caused a fire-storm on the other side of the Atlantic.   

From viewing the trailer THERE WILL BE BLOOD, I wouldn't have recognized Mr. Lewis if I didn't know that was him.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #427 on: December 05, 2007, 01:55:45 pm »
Ahh, DDL in My Beautiful Laundrette .  Dreamy...

Is it me, or do these pancakes have a, um, funny shape?

Offline oilgun

« Reply #428 on: December 05, 2007, 02:45:12 pm »
Ahh, DDL in My Beautiful Laundrette .  Dreamy...

Is it me, or do these pancakes have a, um, funny shape?

It's not you  :D  It's one of the visual jokes in the film, Scot made the pancakes and they're supposed to be in the shape of the letter "T" for the single "T" in Scot, but of course they look like something else.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #429 on: December 05, 2007, 06:05:49 pm »
As the awards season gets underway, the first news....

"No Country" wins first film award of Oscar season
Wed Dec 5, 2007 4:18 PM EST

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Grim crime thriller "No Country for Old Men," from brothers Joel and Ethan Coen, was named best film of 2007 by the National Board of Review of Motion Pictures on Wednesday in the first major award of the Oscar season.

George Clooney won the best actor award for "Michael Clayton" and Julie Christie won the best actress award for "Away From Her."

Tim Burton took the best director award for "Sweeney Todd," featuring his wife Helena Bonham Carter and "Pirates of the Caribbean" star Johnny Depp.

Amy Ryan won the best supporting actress award for Ben Affleck's "Gone Baby Gone," which secured the best directorial debut award for Affleck. His brother Casey Affleck won the best supporting actor award for "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford."

Julian Schnabel's "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" won the best foreign film award. "Body of War" won best documentary and "Ratatouille" was named best animated feature.

Emile Hirsch won an award for breakthrough performance by an actor for Sean Penn's "Into the Wild," and Ellen Page took the breakthrough performance by an actress award for "Juno."

"Juno" and "Lars and the Real Girl" tied for best original screenplay, and "No Country for Old Men" won awards for best adapted screenplay and best ensemble cast.

The board also presented a career achievement award to Michael Douglas, an Oscar winner for best actor for "Wall Street" in 1988. He and Saul Zaentz shared a best picture Oscar for producing "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" in 1976.

The awards can be an indicator of what to expect for the Academy Awards, the top honors of the film business, which will be presented in February.

(Reporting by Robert MacMillan, editing by Arthur Spiegelman and Eric Walsh)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!