Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022359 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #470 on: December 22, 2007, 07:18:50 pm »
I just watched "The Fountain" on DVD and enjoyed it very much. Of course, lots of close-ups of Hugh Jackman probably helped! Even so, I enjoyed the story. The music was great, too. Anyone else here see this?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #471 on: December 22, 2007, 07:21:50 pm »
I just watched "The Fountain" on DVD and enjoyed it very much. Of course, lots of close-ups of Hugh Jackman probably helped! Even so, I enjoyed the story. The music was great, too. Anyone else here see this?

L

Yes.  Saw it when it first came out.  It was marketed badly, it was not at all what we were expecting.  We went without the required box of tissue and suffered for it.  Very good, very sad.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #472 on: December 22, 2007, 07:25:54 pm »
Yes.  Saw it when it first came out.  It was marketed badly, it was not at all what we were expecting.  We went without the required box of tissue and suffered for it.  Very good, very sad.

Interesting...I am usually a waterworks and cry at anything, but I didn't cry at this. Maybe if I had seen it on the big screen, I would have reacted differently. But I found the whole thing sort of hopeful, as if Tommy and Izzi (or Tomas and Isabel) were going to be together, forever, as she predicted/promised.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #473 on: December 22, 2007, 07:30:22 pm »
Interesting...I am usually a waterworks and cry at anything, but I didn't cry at this. Maybe if I had seen it on the big screen, I would have reacted differently. But I found the whole thing sort of hopeful, as if Tommy and Izzi (or Tomas and Isabel) were going to be together, forever, as she predicted/promised.

Leslie

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!  SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!    SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't take it at all like that.  I took it all as allegorical.  It was all in Tommy's head.  None of the future/historical stuff was real.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #474 on: December 22, 2007, 07:47:07 pm »

L

I LOVED the Fountain!  Hugh was amazing in it, I was really impressed with his performance.  I can't believe he's the same guy who plays Wolverine, talk about range!  I think he's very underrated.  

I was disappointed with the DVD's lack of a director commentary but have since found out that Aronofski recorded one and it's available for downloading on his website if you're interested.  It's in a Torrent format file, whatever that is,  so I haven't figured out how to play it yet. I have to download some sort of software I think, I'm not very tech-savvy unfortunately  :'(

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #475 on: December 22, 2007, 07:52:57 pm »

I didn't take it at all like that.  I took it all as allegorical.  It was all in Tommy's head.  None of the future/historical stuff was real.

The historical stuff was her book. The future stuff was how he finished the book, at her request. But in a spiritual sense, it represented lives past, present, and future. They were going to be together, as she predicted.

That's how I see it, at least, just a few hours after watching it. I need more time to think about it.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #476 on: December 22, 2007, 07:56:02 pm »
Have any of ya'll seen "A River Runs Through It"? I bought it at the $5.00 bin and I'm thinking about watching it tonight. Will I have to think a lot? I don't want to.  :P
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #477 on: December 22, 2007, 07:56:48 pm »
I LOVED the Fountain!  Hugh was amazing in it, I was really impressed with his performance.  I can't believe he's the same guy who plays Wolverine, talk about range!  I think he's very underrated. 

I was disappointed with the DVD's lack of a director commentary but have since found out that Aronofski recorded one and it's available for downloading on his website if you're interested.  It's in a Torrent format file, whatever that is,  so I haven't figured out how to play it yet. I have to download some sort of software I think, I'm not very tech-savvy unfortunately  :'(

Ah, thanks for this tidbit, oilgun. I'll see if I can find it.

And I knew we had similar taste in movies, despite the Lars and The Real Girl slip up...LOL. But I might just have seen that on a bad day. (Leslie thinks). No...I don't think my opinion will change, no matter what day I see it. Oh well...

I think Hugh is terrific but then...look at my avatar. LOL. I am very worried about Australia, though. Nicole Kidman has been a flop in her last six movies. I am hoping she doesn't drag this down because it is my kind of movie...big sweeping epic. I love those. Hopefully Baz Luhrmann has been able to tease a decent performance out of her this time around.

L

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #478 on: December 22, 2007, 08:01:07 pm »
I watched 'The Fountain' too in 'simulcast' with Leslie!

as a sort of a Christmas treat!

I love love LOVED HUGH.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #479 on: December 22, 2007, 08:06:31 pm »
Have any of ya'll seen "A River Runs Through It"? I bought it at the $5.00 bin and I'm thinking about watching it tonight. Will I have to think a lot? I don't want to.  :P

Um, the only thing I recall thinking about when I saw that movie was how young and hot Brad Pitt was...this was in his early days, circa Thelma and Louise.

There was some other story going on, something about fly fishing as I recall...LOL

L