Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022330 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #520 on: December 29, 2007, 07:52:50 pm »
I saw THE GOLDEN COMPASS today and wasn't really into it.  Of course, the guy with the picket sign outside the theater (with some Catholic group) was what enticed me.  If someone says don't go to see this film, I go.   Of course, it would have been annoying if ppl had disrupted the film shouting out off handed comments.  I heard much of this occurred for Fahrenheit 9/11 in the suburbs around America.

My husband and daughter saw it, and liked it. I wasn't interested. It has landed on a few "worst movies of 2007" lists. It seems to definitely be a movie that people react to differently.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #521 on: December 30, 2007, 09:41:34 pm »
I saw Walk Hard on Christmas Day. It's very silly, a bit over-the-top in parts, kind of cheesy for my taste -- but often absolutely hilarious. John C. Riley is great, and almost everybody else in it some famous comedy character actor from SNL, 30 Rock, The Office, Judd Apatow (who co-wrote) movies, etc. Who would cast Jack Black as Paul McCartney and Paul Rudd as John Lennon? But they're great.

I probably shouldn't have taken my 11- and 13-year-old sons to it, though. Luckily, they sat separately from my husband and me, so we could loudly complain in shocked tones about what kind of parents would take children to a movie like that.

I saw Sweeney Todd last night. Yuck. I love Johnny Depp, and Helena Bonham-Carter was very cute, and Alan Rickman was as usual a brilliant villain. My 16-year-old niece loved it -- she was seeing it for at least the second time and owns the soundtrack. But I agreed totally with my 11-year-old son's review: "It's boring, it's bleak and Johnny Depp does all the killings the same way." Oh, and it's gross.

Set design was fantastic, though. Tim Burton is a genius at that. And only a slight exaggeration of what I imagine  19th-century London probably was like. If only they hadn't done so much singing and killing, the movie would have been good. Unfortunately, that was 90 percent of it.

I did love the overall "feel" of Sweeney Todd, but the killing was just ridiculous.   I like the look of the movie.  It seems impossible to hide Johnny Depp's beauty.  My daughter thinks Sweeney Todd would have been better if we were shown some of what his life was like in prison.  It would have made more sense if we saw what actually turned him into a throat slashing monster.

I was all ready to see Walk Hard this morning.  I was turning the car into the theatre parking lot when my daughter asked to have breakfast instead.  We'll probably see it next week.  The first show of the day in Emeryville is only $6.00.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #522 on: December 31, 2007, 05:14:13 pm »
I saw Last King of Scotland yesterday.  Anyone want to comment on that?

I haven't really formed an opinion yet.

(Leslie - I'm glad you liked Transamerica.  I thought it was very good, and I think you're right about the ending...)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #523 on: December 31, 2007, 05:36:02 pm »

(Leslie - I'm glad you liked Transamerica.  I thought it was very good, and I think you're right about the ending...)

Hello BelAir.

I watched it not long ago. It was intense and brutal. I know it was based on fact, but it was fictionalized inasmuch as the Jame McAvoy character was not a real person -- was he? I had to turn my head several times. It shows how the masses don't have all the info they probably need to have!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #524 on: December 31, 2007, 05:40:58 pm »

I watched it on DVD a few months ago. It's obvious why Forest Whitaker won the Oscar. I also thought James McAvoy was excellent although a few critics dissed his performance.

It is one of those "glad I saw it but once is enough" movies for me. I see it is on HBO now. I probably will pass on a repeat viewing!

And Shasta, I believe you're right, that Garrigan was a fictional character.

L

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline BelAir

« Reply #525 on: December 31, 2007, 08:17:30 pm »
I watched it on DVD a few months ago. It's obvious why Forest Whitaker won the Oscar. I also thought James McAvoy was excellent although a few critics dissed his performance.

It is one of those "glad I saw it but once is enough" movies for me. I see it is on HBO now. I probably will pass on a repeat viewing!

And Shasta, I believe you're right, that Garrigan was a fictional character.

L

you guys are right.  Gerrigan was a fictional character (I watched the special features on the DVD).  However, one of Amin's wives did die following an attempted abortion; she was found dismembered; she had an affair with the health minister (according to wikipedia).   Amin did have British doctors. 

At first, I was someone put off by the incorporation of a fictional character into a true story.  In the special features, McAvoy describes his character as sort of a mirror to British/white society... (I'm paraphrasing somewhat poorly).  So if I think of McAvoy and his experiences as a sort of amalgamation of "white" experience with "dark Africa" I am less annoyed.  I did like how they presented a personalized story of what in actuality was widespread terror and brutality, and that we were able to see the 'good' and 'bad' Amin through McAvoy's eyes. 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #526 on: December 31, 2007, 08:50:01 pm »
you guys are right.  Gerrigan was a fictional character (I watched the special features on the DVD).  However, one of Amin's wives did die following an attempted abortion; she was found dismembered; she had an affair with the health minister (according to wikipedia).   Amin did have British doctors. 

At first, I was someone put off by the incorporation of a fictional character into a true story.  In the special features, McAvoy describes his character as sort of a mirror to British/white society... (I'm paraphrasing somewhat poorly).  So if I think of McAvoy and his experiences as a sort of amalgamation of "white" experience with "dark Africa" I am less annoyed.  I did like how they presented a personalized story of what in actuality was widespread terror and brutality, and that we were able to see the 'good' and 'bad' Amin through McAvoy's eyes. 

Thanks for this, Bel. Interesting information. I am not sure I watched the special features so I didn't have this information.

Louise and I are planning another simulcast tomorrow. This time we'll be watching "Finding Neverland" for anyone who wants to join us.

L

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #527 on: December 31, 2007, 09:06:57 pm »

I recently got the DVD, haven't watched it yet.  Will remedy that soon.
Did you watch Hotel Rwanda ?  (that's another one I want to check out)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #528 on: December 31, 2007, 09:37:57 pm »
I recently got the DVD, haven't watched it yet.  Will remedy that soon.
Did you watch Hotel Rwanda ?  (that's another one I want to check out)

That is one of those movies I meant to see in the theater, didn't, and haven't seen on DVD yet. Thanks for the reminder.

L

Offline BelAir

« Reply #529 on: December 31, 2007, 10:34:09 pm »
Thanks for this, Bel. Interesting information. I am not sure I watched the special features so I didn't have this information.

Louise and I are planning another simulcast tomorrow. This time we'll be watching "Finding Neverland" for anyone who wants to join us.

L

I liked that one!