Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022291 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #560 on: January 06, 2008, 07:10:27 pm »
I remember something about that, lol!  I've softened my position on that subject ever since I found out that there was no smoking in Zodiac, most of which was set in the smokin' 70s and I hadn't even noticed.

There was also NO SMOKING in Lars and the Real Girl, and the only scene with any drinking was at the party.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #561 on: January 06, 2008, 07:14:25 pm »
There was also NO SMOKING in Lars and the Real Girl, and the only scene with any drinking was at the party.

L

Then how come you didn't like it more then you did?!  ;D

Offline BelAir

« Reply #562 on: January 06, 2008, 07:26:42 pm »
random interlude (feel free to continue the smoking debate) -

I saw Nat'l Treasure 2 in the theater today (entertaining) and I saw a scary movie poster and in my head went "ew - that looks too scary to see in the theater" - then I realized it was The Dark Knight (which of course I will go see in the theater)!  Have you guys seen it??? It's mostly white with a red smile and "Why so serious?" in red with (i think) the joker outlined in the background...  I really can't believe I was frightened from a gazillion feet away...
 >:(
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #563 on: January 06, 2008, 07:27:54 pm »
Then how come you didn't like it more then you did?!  ;D

You know, I saw it the day after Thanksgiving and I was feeling really down that day. More than I realized at the time. And all those dreary scenes of the midwest in winter, knowing Winter was coming to Maine (we'd already had a storm at that point, I think)...it probably just didn't hit me in the right frame of mind. Maybe it was my mistake to see it that day, who knows?

But I did notice the absence of smoking!

And oilgun, you are online on a Sunday evening. Does that mean your home computer is fixed?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #564 on: January 06, 2008, 07:33:44 pm »
I saw "I'm Not There" at The Movies on Exchange Street which is this little, tiny, funky, indie theater in the Old Port of Portland, ME.

I haven't been to the Movies in ages. Random thoughts: I am glad the place had heat! The seats were really uncomfortable and close together. I felt like I was on an airplane. And I have a whole new respect for the sound systems in the multiplexes, as well as the digital movies.

Movies that are coming to The Movies include "The Diving Bell and The Butterfly," and "Persepolis." So I might be in those uncomfortable seats again in the next few weeks. LOL

L

Offline oilgun

« Reply #565 on: January 06, 2008, 08:15:38 pm »

And oilgun, you are online on a Sunday evening. Does that mean your home computer is fixed?

L

My computer is toast, the last message it gave me was to backup all my files (couldn't) and to replace my hard drive (!) because a failure was imminent.  (That'll teach me for visiting those naughty sites, lol!)  Anyway, I hooked up my old, and much slower, CPU until I buy a new one, I was having e-withdrawals!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #566 on: January 06, 2008, 08:29:07 pm »
I remember something about that, lol!  I've softened my position on that subject ever since I found out that there was no smoking in Zodiac, most of which was set in the smokin' 70s and I hadn't even noticed.

You're right! And I didn't notice that, either.

I saw Juno today. I was afraid it had been so overhyped that I'd be disappointed, but I wasn't. The dialogue was extremely clever, and the lead actress, Ellen Page, was amazing. She really became Juno, and it couldn't have been easy to pull off that all that witty dialogue coming from a 16-year-old girl. She almost started to get on my nerves, she was so constantly witty and smart and cool, but only the way a girl like that in real life would probably get on your nerves now and then. Actually, she was a very nice girl.

The other actors were good, too. It was very much the classic, "I laughed, I cried" kind of movie. I highly recommend it.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #567 on: January 07, 2008, 02:58:22 am »

I haven't been to the Movies in ages. Random thoughts: I am glad the place had heat! The seats were really uncomfortable and close together. I felt like I was on an airplane. And I have a whole new respect for the sound systems in the multiplexes, as well as the digital movies.

L

I have two cinemas to choose from. One is a big commercial cinema called Kinepolis, part of a large chain of cinemas, where you'll find all the blockbusters, the other one is smaller, older. And even though the sound system isn't as good, i prefer the latter. In the Kinepolis it seems the people go there to eat (smelly nachos or crisps, yuck!) or chat while a movie is playing in the background. The audience just doesn't seem to be very interested in what's on the screen.
Another thing (okay, and then I'll shut up! LOL) is that the schedule changes very fast. Take Gone, Baby Gone. It had great reviews, I really wanted to see it. It came out in Kinepolis and after one week, it was no longer scheduled at 8 pm. And 10.30 pm is late to go see a movie.

Atonement will be released here next Wednesday, again in Kinepolis. I'll have to call my babysitter soon!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #568 on: January 07, 2008, 10:19:37 am »
After seeing "I'm Not There" my daughter was curious about Richard Gere. So last night, we re-watched "Days of Heaven." I realized, as I watched it, that I really, really love this movie. It may rival Brokeback as my number 1 favorite movie of all time (don't shoot me, folks!). Seriously, if the Internet had existed when this came out (1978) and I could have conversed with other "Days of Heaven" fans...who knows what my life would have been like? LOL

As I watched it, I realized that it is not entirely dissimilar from BBM. Yes, the stories are completely different but major themes: what we do--or don't do--for love; the pain, and cost, of keeping a secret--are present in both movies.

Like BBM, this was filmed in Alberta, but in the plains, not the mountains. But it still has stunning scenery and the cinematography is magnificent.

It was released as a Criterion Collection DVD a few months ago, so it is available on Netflix and video stores that carry Criterion movies. I definitely recommend this as a "must see"! I'd love to chat about this movie with anyone here who does watch it/has seen it.

L

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #569 on: January 07, 2008, 10:33:55 am »
Wow, Leslie, that's some recommendation.

I'll admit I haven't seen this movie. But I will!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'