Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022228 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #580 on: January 07, 2008, 06:33:29 pm »
Behind me, missy!

LOL!  The line to marry me is definitely only VIRTUAL, sadly.  ;)

Here are some pics of Sam for Leslie (especially the last one, lol!)  Very Viggo isn't he?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #581 on: January 07, 2008, 06:53:26 pm »
Behind me, missy!

With the newfangled flat paneled screens, three is definitely not a crowd these days!! Anyone for polygamy?

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #582 on: January 07, 2008, 06:55:02 pm »
So has anyone seen Don't Come Knocking? Sam was his usual fascinating self, but wasn't it a shocker seeing Jessica Lange??

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #583 on: January 07, 2008, 07:19:15 pm »
So has anyone seen Don't Come Knocking? Sam was his usual fascinating self, but wasn't it a shocker seeing Jessica Lange??

I haven't seen it and in fact, haven't heard of it. What's the shocker?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #584 on: January 07, 2008, 07:19:57 pm »
LOL!  The line to marry me is definitely only VIRTUAL, sadly.  ;)

Here are some pics of Sam for Leslie (especially the last one, lol!)  Very Viggo isn't he?

Hahahaha, yes....

But the one right above and to the right, that's my favorite!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #585 on: January 07, 2008, 09:09:36 pm »

I've loved Jessica Lange ever since Frances.

Hey, haven't those two been shacking up together for like 25 years?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #586 on: January 07, 2008, 10:46:49 pm »
I've loved Jessica Lange ever since Frances.

Hey, haven't those two been shacking up together for like 25 years?

Yes, I think that was the reason she was in the film. It was a rather obscure film by Werner Herzog about a washed-up Hollywood cowboy who returns to the scene of a film he did in Montana and...well, I don't want to spoil it.

My goodness, Jessica has aged a lot.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #587 on: January 07, 2008, 10:51:07 pm »
Recently I read she'd had plastic surgery, though she'd vowed for years she wasn't going to. But in Broken Flowers -- that was the name of it, right? That movie where Bill Murray goes back to visit three old girlfriends? -- she looked strangely different. Several critics commented on it, too.

Twenty-plus years ago I worked with a woman who knew Jessica Lange's aunt (Jessica Lange grew up near the area I was working at the time). She said Jessica's aunt looked exactly like Jessica, except that the aunt was really, really aged and wrinkled.

Course, Sam Shepherd looks pretty aged these days, too, but on men nobody seems to mind as much.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #588 on: January 08, 2008, 01:41:58 pm »
I have to admit that I fell asleep during Don't Come Knocking...

So, upon everyone's recommendation, I watched Days of Heaven last night.  While it is certainly beautifully filmed and scored, it won't be rivaling BBM for me.  The story was interesting, almost telegraphic, or staccato, but I didn't respond to it emotionally. 

Reminded me of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in some ways:  the idyllic scenes with the characters having fun, the triangle, and of course the man-hunt. 

Here are some interesting trivia from IMDb:

1)  Shot almost entirely at "magic hour," the hours between day and night early in the morning and late in the evening. Terrence Malick wanted to have a white sky and no sight of the sun.

2)  Cinematographer NĂ©stor Almendros was going blind during production. Before each shot, he would have his assistant take a picture with a Polaroid camera and then would view under a high-powered magnify glass.

3)  John Travolta, Al Pacino and Dustin Hoffman turned down the role of Bill.

4)  The shot of locusts ascending to the sky was shot in reverse with the helicopter crew throwing peanut shells down, and actors walking backwards.

5)  The film's title is a reference to Deuteronomy 11:21 - "That your days may be multiplied, and the days of your children, in which the LORD swore to your fathers to give them as the days of heaven upon the earth."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #589 on: January 08, 2008, 01:58:56 pm »
I have to admit that I fell asleep during Don't Come Knocking...

So, upon everyone's recommendation, I watched Days of Heaven last night.  While it is certainly beautifully filmed and scored, it won't be rivaling BBM for me.  The story was interesting, almost telegraphic, or staccato, but I didn't respond to it emotionally. 

Reminded me of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in some ways:  the idyllic scenes with the characters having fun, the triangle, and of course the man-hunt. 

That's interesting since Butch Cassidy is also one of my favorite movies. But I am not seeing the connection the same way as you! LOL

Someone commented on IMDb about the cinematographer going blind. This commenter worked with him on another (later) movie. Apparently Amendros had coke-bottle glasses during the filming of Days of Heaven but on this later movie, no glasses at all. The commenter didn't know if he had surgery or something, but whatever, his sight was restored.