Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022304 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #600 on: January 09, 2008, 09:31:37 am »
Leslie, can you say more about what "stunned" you with Days of Heaven?  I'd really like to know. 

Since I saw it, I've read a bunch of reviews that, besides mentioning the great cinematography and music, didn't really tell me what they connected with.  The narrator?  The struggle of poverty? 

Maybe I need to see it again. 

3:10 to Yuma is now out on DVD, so I'll probably see that soon.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #601 on: January 09, 2008, 09:35:45 am »
Having seen Christian Bale just the other day in I'm Not There, I am becoming more and more impressed with his talent. I also thought he was excellent in The Prestige.

I thought he was great in The Prestige, too. Especially when you get to the end and think back, and realize that ... well, I'll say no more. But those who've seen it know what I mean.

Christian Bale also very good in Rescue Dawn. I rented that over Thanksgiving. It's kind of a grueling film, which I'd known going in, though somehow I found it a bit disappointing. But Christian Bale is good in it.

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #602 on: January 09, 2008, 09:55:39 am »
I've been meaning to watch 3:10 to Yuma...Now it's on DVD, I'm gonna rent it one of these nights.

Tonight, I watched Boys Don't Cry (I've seen it before).
It's an excellent, tragic film.. it always leaves me feeling drained and depressed.  I could not get all the way to the end this time.   :-\ 

aw, M....
 :(
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #603 on: January 09, 2008, 10:04:14 am »
sort of along the lines of remembering how movies make you feel...

two of my favorite movies from when i was young are Superman and Star Wars.  I loved them then, and I love them now.  But I wonder if I had never seen them before, how I would feel about them now...

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #604 on: January 09, 2008, 10:51:17 am »
two of my favorite movies from when i was young are Superman and Star Wars.  I loved them then, and I love them now.  But I wonder if I had never seen them before, how I would feel about them now...

I know. I've had the experience of going back and watching a movie I'd loved years ago, and being disappointed -- not only because I've changed, but because movies themselves have changed. For example, I rented Raiders of the Lost Ark to watch with my kids. If there's ever a movie that struck me, at the time, as being vibrant and dynamic and action-packed and exciting, that was it! But when my boys and I watched it, a few years ago, it was ... slow. I couldn't believe it! They were bored. In the years since then, action movies have just sped up so much that the difference was really noticeable.

But we've watched some movies together that depended less on action, such as Big and Back to the Future, and they've held up pretty well.

My brother and I and our kids rented Marathon Man over Christmas. I remember really liking that and have been wanting to see it for years. But it's really hard to find in video stores. Finally, we found it! But then we ran out of time and I didn't get a chance to see it. My brother watched it after we left and said it was still good.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #605 on: January 09, 2008, 12:28:27 pm »
Leslie, can you say more about what "stunned" you with Days of Heaven?  I'd really like to know. 

Since I saw it, I've read a bunch of reviews that, besides mentioning the great cinematography and music, didn't really tell me what they connected with.  The narrator?  The struggle of poverty? 

I think it was the totality of the experience. The images that totally filled the screen, the music, the evocation of the time...I felt like I was there. I could have been one of the people riding on top of the train, or working in the wheat field, that's how much I felt like I was in the movie.

I also, at that time, had never seen a movie like that before. I was 23 and although I liked movies and had seen plenty, I had pretty much been watching mainstream movies at the mall theater. I hadn't yet discovered indie movies at the local art theater. Days of Heaven was a totally different experience for me and gave me an idea of what a movie could "do" to you.

The last piece that was special to me was the narration. I really liked Linda Manz' voice in this, and what she said. Again, I am not sure I had ever seen a movie before that used that technique and I thought it worked perfectly in this film. I read that Malick edited her narration from 60 hours of her speaking! But then again, it took him two years to edit the movie.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #606 on: January 09, 2008, 12:30:59 pm »
I know. I've had the experience of going back and watching a movie I'd loved years ago, and being disappointed -- not only because I've changed, but because movies themselves have changed. For example, I rented Raiders of the Lost Ark to watch with my kids. If there's ever a movie that struck me, at the time, as being vibrant and dynamic and action-packed and exciting, that was it! But when my boys and I watched it, a few years ago, it was ... slow. I couldn't believe it! They were bored. In the years since then, action movies have just sped up so much that the difference was really noticeable.

I remember the first time I saw The Pink Panther after a many year hiatus, I thought it seemed very slow. But then, I let myself relax and got into the pacing and I enjoyed it just like I did in the old days.

I really can see what the zoom-zoom-zoom pace of life has done to my attention span!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #607 on: January 09, 2008, 01:40:25 pm »
I thought he was great in The Prestige, too. Especially when you get to the end and think back, and realize that ... well, I'll say no more. But those who've seen it know what I mean.

Christian Bale also very good in Rescue Dawn. I rented that over Thanksgiving. It's kind of a grueling film, which I'd known going in, though somehow I found it a bit disappointing. But Christian Bale is good in it.

I read that Bale got put thru the wringer by Werner Herzog when this film was shooting in ...Thailand, was it? Between that and 3:10 to Yuma, he had quite a bang-up year!! Wonder if he'll be nominated for an Oscar. Wonder if there'll be an Oscar night this year?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #608 on: January 09, 2008, 01:44:32 pm »
Wonder if there'll be an Oscar night this year?

I sure hope the strike will have been settled by then. I don't know how much longer I can stand watching Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert wing it without writers.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #609 on: January 09, 2008, 02:13:39 pm »
I feel sorry for the GOLDEN GLOBES having to resort to a one hour telecast as it stands now. The Oscars, I think they might postphone it.   If the Academy is  looking for a blockbuster to bring up the ratings at this year's Oscar, all I can say is good luck because nothing is doing it for them. 

I saw BROTHERS (the Danish version which is titled Brødre) yesterday.  I enjoyed it, but it's another heavy film.   Jakey G, Tobey Maguire and Natalie Portman are starring in the remake.