Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022331 times)

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #680 on: January 21, 2008, 06:38:12 pm »
Well, I had to do it!  Just got back from seeing Cloverfield! (I'm not a film snob either, lol!)  It really does play on post 9/11 anxieties, several early scenes of clouds of dust and debris billowing through the streets of lower Manhattan looked eerily familiar.  All in all, it was a pretty effective film, I was pretty much on the edge of my seat throughout.  The camcorder effect, which often didn't show us what was happening, or only partly, worked well at increasing the confusion and fear. There was just enough character development to make us care about happens to them.  The creature was a bit of a disappointment, I think it would have been more effective if we never actually got a good look at it.  Anyway, it was fun!

The trailers shown:  A teaser trailer of Star Trek showing the enterprise under construction.  -Hellboy II, looks pretty bad.  -21 with Kevin Spacey about that ring of card-counting math wiz MIT students in Vegas.  Wasn't there a TV show about that?  There must have been others but I can't remember them.

that always seems to happen, doesn't it?  (I remember being enjoying the ride of Jeepers Creepers until we actually saw the creature...)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #681 on: January 22, 2008, 09:50:17 am »
I am home this morning making a casserole so I decided to flip on the announcement of the Academy Award nominees. Of my predictions from months ago, I was mostly wrong, but I did nail one: Tommy Lee Jones for Best Actor in "In the Valley of Elah." Yeah!

Hal Holbrook snuck in for Best Supporting Actor for "Into the Wild." I think he stole Ben Foster's nomination for "3:10 to Yuma." Oh well.

Cate Blanchett had a double nomination! Best Supporting Actress for "I'm Not There" and Best Actress for the Queen Elizabeth movie (I don't remember the name).

Best Picture nominees:

Atonement
Juno
There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Michael Clayton (I think). I didn't write anything down (I'm making a casserole, remember!).

I'll post a press release with all the nominees as soon as I find one online.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #682 on: January 22, 2008, 10:13:25 am »
The casserole is made so without further ado:

List of 80th Annual Oscar Nominees

By The Associated Press – 14 minutes ago

Complete list of 80th annual Academy Award nominations announced Tuesday:

1. Best Picture: "Atonement," "Juno," "Michael Clayton," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

2. Actor: George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"; Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"; Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"; Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises."

3. Actress: Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"; Julie Christie, "Away From Her"; Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"; Laura Linney, "The Savages"; Ellen Page, "Juno."

4. Supporting Actor: Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"; Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"; Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"; Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton."

5. Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"; Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"; Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"; Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"; Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton."

6. Director: Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Jason Reitman, "Juno"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

7. Foreign Film: "Beaufort," Israel; "The Counterfeiters," Austria; "Katyn," Poland; "Mongol," Kazakhstan; "12," Russia.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"; Sarah Polley, "Away from Her"; Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

9. Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody, "Juno"; Nancy Oliver, "Lars and the Real Girl"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava and Jim Capobianco, "Ratatouille"; Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Persepolis"; "Ratatouille"; "Surf's Up."

11. Art Direction: "American Gangster," "Atonement," "The Golden Compass," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street," "There Will Be Blood."

12. Cinematography: "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," "Atonement," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

13. Sound Mixing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "3:10 to Yuma," "Transformers."

14. Sound Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "There Will Be Blood," "Transformers."

15. Original Score: "Atonement," Dario Marianelli; "The Kite Runner," Alberto Iglesias; "Michael Clayton," James Newton Howard; "Ratatouille," Michael Giacchino; "3:10 to Yuma," Marco Beltrami.

16. Original Song: "Falling Slowly" from "Once," Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova; "Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "Raise It Up" from "August Rush," Nominees to be determined; "So Close" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "That's How You Know" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz.

17. Costume: "Across the Universe," "Atonement," "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," "La Vie en Rose," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street."

18. Documentary Feature: "No End in Sight," "Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience," "Sicko," "Taxi to the Dark Side," "War/Dance."

19. Documentary (short subject): "Freeheld," "La Corona (The Crown)," "Salim Baba," "Sari's Mother."

20. Film Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "Into the Wild," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

21. Makeup: "La Vie en Rose," "Norbit," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End."

22. Animated Short Film: "I Met the Walrus," "Madame Tutli-Putli," "Meme Les Pigeons Vont au Paradis (Even Pigeons Go to Heaven)," "My Love (Moya Lyubov)," "Peter & the Wolf."

23. Live Action Short Film: "At Night," "Il Supplente (The Substitute)," "Le Mozart des Pickpockets (The Mozart of Pickpockets)," "Tanghi Argentini," "The Tonto Woman."

24. Visual Effects: "The Golden Compass," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," "Transformers."

___

Academy Award winners previously announced this year:

HONORARY AWARD (Oscar statuette): Robert Boyle
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #683 on: January 22, 2008, 10:42:10 am »
The casserole is made so without further ado:

List of 80th Annual Oscar Nominees

By The Associated Press – 14 minutes ago

Complete list of 80th annual Academy Award nominations announced Tuesday:

1. Best Picture: "Atonement," "Juno," "Michael Clayton," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

2. Actor: George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"; Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"; Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"; Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises."

3. Actress: Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"; Julie Christie, "Away From Her"; Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"; Laura Linney, "The Savages"; Ellen Page, "Juno."

4. Supporting Actor: Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"; Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"; Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"; Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton."

5. Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"; Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"; Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"; Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"; Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton."

6. Director: Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Jason Reitman, "Juno"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

7. Foreign Film: "Beaufort," Israel; "The Counterfeiters," Austria; "Katyn," Poland; "Mongol," Kazakhstan; "12," Russia.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"; Sarah Polley, "Away from Her"; Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

9. Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody, "Juno"; Nancy Oliver, "Lars and the Real Girl"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava and Jim Capobianco, "Ratatouille"; Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Persepolis"; "Ratatouille"; "Surf's Up."

11. Art Direction: "American Gangster," "Atonement," "The Golden Compass," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street," "There Will Be Blood."

12. Cinematography: "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," "Atonement," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

13. Sound Mixing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "3:10 to Yuma," "Transformers."

14. Sound Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "There Will Be Blood," "Transformers."

15. Original Score: "Atonement," Dario Marianelli; "The Kite Runner," Alberto Iglesias; "Michael Clayton," James Newton Howard; "Ratatouille," Michael Giacchino; "3:10 to Yuma," Marco Beltrami.

16. Original Song: "Falling Slowly" from "Once," Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova; "Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "Raise It Up" from "August Rush," Nominees to be determined; "So Close" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "That's How You Know" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz.

17. Costume: "Across the Universe," "Atonement," "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," "La Vie en Rose," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street."

18. Documentary Feature: "No End in Sight," "Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience," "Sicko," "Taxi to the Dark Side," "War/Dance."

19. Documentary (short subject): "Freeheld," "La Corona (The Crown)," "Salim Baba," "Sari's Mother."

20. Film Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "Into the Wild," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

21. Makeup: "La Vie en Rose," "Norbit," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End."

22. Animated Short Film: "I Met the Walrus," "Madame Tutli-Putli," "Meme Les Pigeons Vont au Paradis (Even Pigeons Go to Heaven)," "My Love (Moya Lyubov)," "Peter & the Wolf."

23. Live Action Short Film: "At Night," "Il Supplente (The Substitute)," "Le Mozart des Pickpockets (The Mozart of Pickpockets)," "Tanghi Argentini," "The Tonto Woman."

24. Visual Effects: "The Golden Compass," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," "Transformers."

___

Academy Award winners previously announced this year:

HONORARY AWARD (Oscar statuette): Robert Boyle

Oooh, I hope Norbit wins for Makeup!  :laugh:

Other than that, not too many surprises really...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #684 on: January 22, 2008, 10:52:29 am »
Oooh, I hope Norbit wins for Makeup!  :laugh:

Other than that, not too many surprises really...

Norbit gets nominated for Makeup. It also got nominated for a gang of Razzies. Is that a first? Razzie noms and Academy Award in the same year?

L

Offline oilgun

« Reply #685 on: January 22, 2008, 10:58:43 am »
Norbit gets nominated for Makeup. It also got nominated for a gang of Razzies. Is that a first? Razzie noms and Academy Award in the same year?

L

Somehow, I doubt that it's a first, but I can't remember any examples off-hand.

Hopefully Michael Clayton will be re-released, it's the only one I haven't seen.  I just noticed that American Gangster was shut-out, haven't seen that one either.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #686 on: January 22, 2008, 11:12:06 am »
Somehow, I doubt that it's a first, but I can't remember any examples off-hand.

Hopefully Michael Clayton will be re-released, it's the only one I haven't seen.  I just noticed that American Gangster was shut-out, haven't seen that one either.

Michael Clayton is being re-released, I think in the next week or two.

My son saw it and wasn't terribly impressed. I'll be interested in what you think of it. Frankly, the whole George Clooney mystique is lost on me, which is why I wasn't terribly interested in seeing the movie.

So far, of the best picture noms, I have seen one: Atonement. I do want to see Juno, which is still playing, and maybe There Will Be Blood. I'm not too interested in the other two.

L

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #687 on: January 22, 2008, 11:52:10 am »
I liked Michael Clayton a lot. It was very well written and directed: both as a suspenseful thriller as well as an effective, subtle character drama. And it's well acted, not only by George Clooney but also by Tom Wilkinson and Tilda Swinton. I'm not as huge a fan of Clooney-as-matinee-idol as some people but I think he can be a very good actor.

I don't think it will win the Best Picture, one because it's just not a BP type of movie and two because it's so far overshadowed by Juno and There Will Be Blood (which seem like the front-runners to me). Nor do I think Clooney will win BA or Swinton BSA (my predictions: Daniel Day-Lewis and Cate Blanchett). But they were both good.

UPDATE: Oops! I belatedly realized that Tom Wilkinson had been nominated for BSA, too. Again, I don't think he'll get it (Phillip Seymour Hoffman is my prediction), but he was very good.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #688 on: January 22, 2008, 12:12:21 pm »
I liked Michael Clayton a lot. It was very well written and directed: both as a suspenseful thriller as well as an effective, subtle character drama. And it's well acted, not only by George Clooney but also by Tom Wilkinson and Tilda Swinton. I'm not as huge a fan of Clooney-as-matinee-idol as some people but I think he can be a very good actor.

I don't think it will win the Best Picture, one because it's just not a BP type of movie and two because it's so far overshadowed by Juno and There Will Be Blood (which seem like the front-runners to me). Nor do I think Clooney will win BA or Swinton BSA (my predictions: Daniel Day-Lewis and Cate Blanchett). But they were both good.

I agree! I really liked Michael Clayton. And George Clooney was very good. No pretty face mr. charming, but a man caught up in an empty world and trying to find his way out. I also liked him in Syriana.

Go see it Leslie, you won't be disappointed.

And I have a question. We're going to see Atonement tonight. And I was reading Robert Egbert's review. It started with 'Atonement" begins on joyous gossamer wings, and descends into an abyss of tragedy and loss.'

What does 'gossamer' mean? I couldn't find an adequate description in my dictionary. Fluffy? Featherlike? hmmm

I've never heard it before.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #689 on: January 22, 2008, 12:20:36 pm »
What a lovely word, gossamer! To me, it is like a fabric, like chiffon, that is so feather-light and translucent that it may well be imaginary.

"chewing gum and duct tape"