Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1037246 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #860 on: March 15, 2008, 11:20:50 pm »
Today I saw Haneke's FUNNY GAMES.  It really is a shot for shot remake of his 1997 German film, it was almost like watching the same film.  All the performances are excellent,  Michael Pitt was perfectly cast as the more talkative of the two psychos, I was really impressed.  I found the psychological violence just as disturbing, so much so that I actually felt sick to my stomach after it ended.  I must be a sucker for punishment, lol!   The film is definitely not for everyone.

Offline elomelo

• Sr. Ranch Hand
    • My Fanfiction
« Reply #861 on: March 16, 2008, 12:07:45 am »
Dakota Fanning.  She's evil.

And here I thought I was alone on that opinion.  :D

Jennifer Lopez. I dunno why but just seeing her in movies just unnerves me.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #862 on: March 16, 2008, 12:11:24 am »
Your probably right Oilgun. The trailer for FUNNY GAMES was painful to watch in more ways then one. It seemed so long for one thing.  I might go see IN BRUGES tomorrow.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #863 on: March 16, 2008, 12:53:43 am »
I can hardly stand to read the REVIEWS for Funny Games. Seriously, the only way you'd get me to see it is wearing a strait-jacket, with my eyelids close-pinned open.

I'd sooner see a heartwarming family drama with Mel Gibson as the antisemitic dad, Diane Keaton as the obnoxious matriarch, and the Olsen twins as the strung-out daughters.

:laugh:

Offline oilgun

« Reply #864 on: March 16, 2008, 01:34:31 am »
I can hardly stand to read the REVIEWS for Funny Games. Seriously, the only way you'd get me to see it is wearing a strait-jacket, with my eyelids close-pinned open.

I'd sooner see a heartwarming family drama with Mel Gibson as the antisemitic dad, Diane Keaton as the obnoxious matriarch, and the Olsen twins as the strung-out daughters.

:laugh: :laugh:  Don't give them any ideas!  Hmmm, Cate Blanchett could play the twins... :-X

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #865 on: March 16, 2008, 09:07:58 am »

With Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes as the religious cult next door neighbors!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #866 on: March 16, 2008, 09:08:26 am »
Your probably right Oilgun. The trailer for FUNNY GAMES was painful to watch in more ways then one. It seemed so long for one thing.  I might go see IN BRUGES tomorrow.

If you do, report back and let me know what you think if it.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #867 on: March 16, 2008, 09:20:05 am »
Today I saw Haneke's FUNNY GAMES.  It really is a shot for shot remake of his 1997 German film, it was almost like watching the same film.  All the performances are excellent,  Michael Pitt was perfectly cast as the more talkative of the two psychos, I was really impressed.  I found the psychological violence just as disturbing, so much so that I actually felt sick to my stomach after it ended.  I must be a sucker for punishment, lol!   The film is definitely not for everyone.

I haven't even heard of Funny Games!  I guess I need to go read some reviews!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #868 on: March 16, 2008, 10:55:50 am »
I haven't even heard of Funny Games!  I guess I need to go read some reviews!

The film, right now, gets a 46% Rotten rating on RT.  But here are a couple of positive reviews that I agree with:

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/btm/feature/2008/01/24/games/
excerpt:
The real "funny games" in "Funny Games" are not between the family and their white-gloved tormentors, but between audience and director. Throughout the film, Haneke keeps submerging us in the wrenching drama of his story and then pulling us back out again, as if asking: "Do you really want to watch this?" Roth, Watts and young Devon Gearhart, who plays their son, are portraying naturalistic movie characters, and the things that happen to them don't bear thinking about. Any viewer with an ounce of humanity will shut down emotionally during the infamous extended shot (it must last five minutes or longer) that follows the first act of violence.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/Movies/article/345885
excerpt:
Funny Games can't be viewed as simple entertainment. It's not a date movie or a fun night out; it's an assault on the senses. Having seen the original doesn't prepare you for it. You may still feel inclined to walk out on this film.
Indeed, the movie seems all the more intense in the post-9/11 era, where random violence is now much more common than it was in 1997.
Critics have long assailed Haneke for having no point to his horrific visions of modern life.
In films like Caché, The Piano Teacher and Year of the Wolf, he depicts a bleak human condition where desires are unhealthy, actions are furtive and motives are suspect. But does a mirror need to have a point?
Funny Games is one of Haneke's finest movies, both the original and this remake. The performances are outstanding across the board. The direction and writing are masterful

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #869 on: March 16, 2008, 11:18:27 am »
n films like Caché, The Piano Teacher and Year of the Wolf, he depicts a bleak human condition where desires are unhealthy, actions are furtive and motives are suspect.

It's just been announced that Haneke has been engaged to direct Mozart's Cosi fan tutte at New York City Opera in 2012.  I wonder what he'll do to those poor, sweet, silly boys and girls?  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...