Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025312 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #570 on: January 07, 2008, 11:05:13 am »
I haven't seen Days of Heaven since the '70s, but I saw it a couple of times then and loved it. What a beautiful movie. From time to time I've thought of watching it again. When I do, Leslie, I'll let you know!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #571 on: January 07, 2008, 01:00:34 pm »
After seeing "I'm Not There" my daughter was curious about Richard Gere. So last night, we re-watched "Days of Heaven." I realized, as I watched it, that I really, really love this movie. It may rival Brokeback as my number 1 favorite movie of all time (don't shoot me, folks!). Seriously, if the Internet had existed when this came out (1978) and I could have conversed with other "Days of Heaven" fans...who knows what my life would have been like? LOL

As I watched it, I realized that it is not entirely dissimilar from BBM. Yes, the stories are completely different but major themes: what we do--or don't do--for love; the pain, and cost, of keeping a secret--are present in both movies.

Like BBM, this was filmed in Alberta, but in the plains, not the mountains. But it still has stunning scenery and the cinematography is magnificent.

It was released as a Criterion Collection DVD a few months ago, so it is available on Netflix and video stores that carry Criterion movies. I definitely recommend this as a "must see"! I'd love to chat about this movie with anyone here who does watch it/has seen it.

L

I bought The Criterion DVD when it came out and have yet to watch it.  In fact, I don't think I've ever actually seen Days of Heaven.  After reading your post I'll have to put it on top of the pile!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #572 on: January 07, 2008, 01:07:37 pm »
Yes, let's watch it! Days of Heaven was one of my favorites too! Was that Karen Allen who played the female lead? I was hot for her rather than Gere, believe it or not!! As I recall, Gere played a somewhat James Dean type of character.

I have been rewatching old movie favourites lately. I loved the director's cut of The Last of the Mohicans. Good set-up also to see D Day-Lewis in There Will be Blood. Last night I saw Robert Altman's Three Women. Powerful acting from Janice Rule, Sissy Spacek, and Shelley Duvall. Does it seem to you like movies used to be much more complex than they are now that 90% of movies are produced to satisfy the teenage hetero male, LOL??

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #573 on: January 07, 2008, 01:16:14 pm »
Yes, let's watch it! Days of Heaven was one of my favorites too! Was that Karen Allen who played the female lead? I was hot for her rather than Gere, believe it or not!! As I recall, Gere played a somewhat James Dean type of character.

No, not Karen Allen...it was Brooke Adams. As for Gere as a Dean-type character...well, we could discuss that. I am not sure that is how I would characterize him.

The imagery of the wheat field with the house in the distance was inspired by Wyeth's painting, "Christina's World." The actual style of the house itself was inspired by the house in "Giant," which did star James Dean. The "Christina's World" house is here in Maine. You can visit it in the summer, when it is open for tours.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #574 on: January 07, 2008, 01:17:44 pm »

I have been rewatching old movie favourites lately. I loved the director's cut of The Last of the Mohicans. Good set-up also to see D Day-Lewis in There Will be Blood. Last night I saw Robert Altman's Three Women. Powerful acting from Janice Rule, Sissy Spacek, and Shelley Duvall. Does it seem to you like movies used to be much more complex than they are now that 90% of movies are produced to satisfy the teenage hetero male, LOL??

I'm in!  And OMG! I love Three Women!  Shelley Duvall is wonderful in that!   "She and I are best friends!" "It's for the kitchen!"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #575 on: January 07, 2008, 01:45:13 pm »
Yes, let's watch it! Days of Heaven was one of my favorites too! Was that Karen Allen who played the female lead? I was hot for her rather than Gere, believe it or not!!

I came as close as a straight woman can to being hot for Brooke Adams in that movie, myself. She was beautiful. But then, so was Richard Gere! And Sam Shepherd was attractive, too. Whatever happened to whoever played the younger sister?

Does it seem to you like movies used to be much more complex than they are now that 90% of movies are produced to satisfy the teenage hetero male, LOL??

Absolutely. Film writers have often written about the '70s being the Golden Age of movies, with the success of "Star Wars" being the turning point. Once studios found how much money they could make with special-effects-laden, cartoonish action pictures, that was that.

I've read that it's not only teenage hetero males that today's big blockbuster movies are designed to appeal to, but also to global audiences. A non-English-speaker can gather the meaning of car chases and building explosions much more easily than talky character dramas.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #576 on: January 07, 2008, 06:02:57 pm »
I came as close as a straight woman can to being hot for Brooke Adams in that movie, myself. She was beautiful. But then, so was Richard Gere! And Sam Shepherd was attractive, too. Whatever happened to whoever played the younger sister?
Sam Shepard was extremely sexy (He still is really), I had such a thing for him!

I've read that it's not only teenage hetero males that today's big blockbuster movies are designed to appeal to, but also to global audiences. A non-English-speaker can gather the meaning of car chases and building explosions much more easily than talky character dramas.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.  Makes a lot of sense.

I just got back from There Will be Blood and all I have to say is: Oh My God!  It's a strange film, very over the top, especially the ending.  I loved the dramatic soundtrack which makes itself quite evident, like a lead character.  Daniel Day Lewis' theatrics at the end brought to mind Al Pacino in Scarface, Orson Wells in Citizen Kane & James Dean in Giant.  And it takes place in a bowling alley(!)  Anyway, I really enjoyed it!  It's not perfect, I thought Paul Dano was miscast, I didn't find him very convincing as the preacher.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #577 on: January 07, 2008, 06:11:51 pm »
Sam Shepherd was extremely sexy (He still is really), I had such a thing for him!

Oh, join the club! LOL
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #578 on: January 07, 2008, 06:23:55 pm »
I'm in!  And OMG! I love Three Women!  Shelley Duvall is wonderful in that!   "She and I are best friends!" "It's for the kitchen!"

Where is the back of the line for people who want to marry oilgun and spend the rest of their days happily watching movie after movie!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #579 on: January 07, 2008, 06:26:14 pm »
Where is the back of the line for people who want to marry oilgun and spend the rest of their days happily watching movie after movie!!

Behind me, missy!